iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging Pecan Orchard - Central Texas

Started by DoorKnob, December 05, 2012, 04:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoorKnob

I have acquired an abandoned pecan orchard in central Texas and am in the process of bringing it back into production.   This winter we are going to thin some trees out by taking out some rows and by taking some individual trees from rows.  We are going to probably take out about 250 trees.  The trees are close in size, mostly about 12" in diameter.  My question is do I have enough pecan timber to harvest as lumber?  And if so do I contact a mill or a logger?  Thanks

LeeB

If your intent is to sell the logs, I don't think you will get many takers. Twelve inches is not an overly big log. Sixteen and more would be better. Orchard trees also tend to be a little short. I think you might have more luck selling the wood as firewood to some of the many wonderful BBQ joints in the area.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

thecfarm

doorknob,welcome to the forum. Going to take out 250 trees!! How many trees you got?
Did someone mention pie.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Most orchard trees are not suitable sawlogs for sale to a logger.  You might look for a portable sawmill that might be interested in some of them.  You might do better to market them as cooking wood as Lee suggests.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Welcome to the Forum, Doorknob!

By the sound of things, I think the others are right-- pecan is a premium smoking wood.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

DoorKnob

Thanks for the replies.  Our first intention was to cut up for firewood but I thought I would check to see if there was any value for logging.  We have 1300 trees on 65 acres and will probably get down to 1000 or so for spacing and water distribution.  I figured they might be too small to harvest.  Thanks again.

Thank You Sponsors!