iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

When a landowner backs out of a commitment like that for a "better deal" that came along, then gets a total hack job, I figure it serves them right!
Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

I have people that come to me and ask about who to get to cut thier land. I tell them,than they come back and say,Well,he can't come for a year. I say,there is a reason he is busy,he does a good job and pays good. Well I can't wait that long,I have this other guy that will be here in a month or less.   ::)  Than they come back,after the job is done and I can tell they are not happy with the money part,but don't say what they got.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Lumberjohn

Had a couple neighbors pull stunts on me- One said he would never have his timber cut, within a year it was cut What? couldn't at least get a price off of me?
Another had his cut on shares, his share was some lumber he never got. He asked me to talk to the guys???? I said Carl, did you get amnesia all of a sudden and forget I buy timber/and pay cash/and pay before cutting. Talk about a double insult, not getting a price off me and wanting me to fix their screw-up.

OntarioAl

A lot of landowners figure that the wood on their property is worth a lot of money and that all loggers are making a fortune cutting "Their Wood" These usually fall prey to the crooks who offer up 2 or 3 times the going rate.
Then cry the blues after they wood lot has been pillaged and find little or no stumpage paid.
I have seen this play out many times over the years
I have zero sympathy for greedy landowners.
Cheers
Al
Al Raman

ehp

Barge , I count on 2 or 3 of those deals a year going south on me and that's after I paid the foresters to mark the bush BUT the word gets out that you do great work and everyone is paid proper and correct . Like you me phone does not stop ringing on bush to cut .

BargeMonkey

Ed I dont lack for work, you know how it goes, it's the way the guy went about it that gets to me. The best part is he still thinks I'm going to supply his kid with firewood,  If anyones looking to buy a Bells 4000 barsaw I can get you a pretty good deal on one in a few months 😂 

ehp

Oh I see where this is going ;D, hard to believe some people cannot think more than 5 minutes a head of time or some just never think at all. Ya I had a couple different bush deals turn south with land owners thinking , on how they were going to make so much more money than what I offered and that happens after I get the bush   marked , first of they thought well sense it was marked then they could get someone else to cut it which they can't cause I paid for the marking so I own the permit  , sure they can get the forester to come back and mark it but the forester will not cause of a shady land owner and next the mill will not buy the logs , they seem to learn pretty fast

BargeMonkey

Play stupid games win stupid prizes. I dropped the kid today like a fat chick at 3am after prom night. 😂 literally in tears on the phone because he knows he going to stare at that processor now. 

OntarioAl

Barge
The guy is a complete idiot not only does he screw you he screws his son in the process.
A fine example for his son
Cheers
Al
Al Raman

ehp

longtime lurker

Guess I see it another way: sins of the father's and all that. I don't have much influence over my own father's choices, any more than my own children do over mine.

Break some kid because his father screwed me on a deal? That'd leave a bad taste in my mouth long after those stumps have rotted away. I can be a hardass with the best of them, and I don't give a lot of second chances...but I draw a line there. Just sayin'
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

BargeMonkey

I should have worded it a little differently, I didnt tell him I wouldnt supply him but to please see if the other guy would take care of him, I've got over 3hrs in it hauling up there, I've got 5 other processors plus myself I can feed near home and that maybe this other guy will do better, I'm 99% sure that isnt going to happen. It's just the way it went down, if it had went to bid or the guy honestly would pay more I could understand, not like this. For 950 a triaxle load I'm still willing, add a small delivery and handling fee, I'm not putting him out directly but it's going to be so expensive it's not productive. 
 Hauling late, get a nap and back in the skidder cab, 2 days and I'm done. 

I just dont have the HP for a trailer behind that truck, flat ground maybe but not around home. 

longtime lurker

I ain't casting stones Barge: not my place and I figure none of us know all the details. 

You be safe out there mate.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

BargeMonkey

Nothing great, cut more wood. About wrapped up on this miserable job. 

Started this one Sunday, laying jobs down ahead in case the weather goes to crap I can pick and choose where I move. 

Dodging dead stuff as I cut, grab 1 and it breaks off 1/2 way up, it's fun. The kind of job where a man with a chainsaw comes to die. 👎 

Firewoodjoe

Barge how large of a hardwood tree will that Timbco cut off and swing? not necessarily drive.

ehp

NW , been trying to get you a picture of our walnut but as soon as I get a load cut the log truck steals it from me , for sure ours is a lot lighter in color than yours , this job has bigger sap wood but its still walnut . Im getting older and slower but so far I'm doing about 8,000 to 10,000 feet a day in walnut so not to bad I guess . Some veneer on this job but not a lot

ehp

Barge , its to freezing rain here tomorrow then turn to rain and be hot for 3 days

nativewolf

Quote from: ehp on February 19, 2019, 07:36:58 PM
NW , been trying to get you a picture of our walnut but as soon as I get a load cut the log truck steals it from me , for sure ours is a lot lighter in color than yours , this job has bigger sap wood but its still walnut . Im getting older and slower but so far I'm doing about 8,000 to 10,000 feet a day in walnut so not to bad I guess . Some veneer on this job but not a lot
gotcha, those greedy log gnomes will do it.  Seriously though, 8-10 a day?  Gesh I am happy if our cutters do that with a team.  But then again I have gone through a succession of less than mediocre fellers.  Found 1 ok guy that got that in my best walnut with a skidder driver and a guy or two on landing.  That's 4 people to get 10k a day, granted it was a lousy long skid but still.  
Man I wish I had you closer to me.  
Liking Walnut

BargeMonkey

Quote from: ehp on February 19, 2019, 07:37:54 PM
Barge , its to freezing rain here tomorrow then turn to rain and be hot for 3 days
I went till 0130 this morning shoveling wood out of the frozen swamp before it breaks up, 10hrs in the cab again today and I'm getting closer to getting on the trailer by Saturday. 

BargeMonkey

I've cut bigger hemlock but this job was loaded with alot of bigger stuff, those where 30-32" on the stump and I've got to carve them up a bit to go to Finch. The stuff just isn't good, some looks ok and it opens right up.

"Cant pull any wood with a grapple skidder"... I'm still eyeing another cable as a backup but I swear I live in the land where time forgot, they will cling to these 440s and chainsaws forever. Local drunk next town over is convinced his 360 cable will eat my 460 dual arch up, 😂

My boom chain is literally on the way out and I dont want to change it in the woods, went real easy with it today but still got a decent pile. 

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on February 19, 2019, 08:50:26 AM
Barge how large of a hardwood tree will that Timbco cut off and swing? not necessarily drive.
Kind of a hard answer, depends on the ground and how nice of wood. I handcut all my nice hardwood over 26" because you can rip a butt log and it's hard on the machine. If you can get to all 4 sides of the tree I've cut 4'+ stuff and pushed, not pretty but it works. Anything about 2' and down I can grab, walk, throw. Those 30" ish hemlock where Timbco cut, you want to have a drop zone, get your bar back and push, hanging onto one of them could be expensive. 

Oliver05262

I thought you just changed that chain a little while ago? Or was that just a repair to get you going again?
Is that a common chain like a #120 or is it a special?
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

BargeMonkey

I've got a new chain but it's not something you want to do in the woods, I've thrown a couple links in, just trying to limp it by and get off this job. Mines double 100, I believe the newer propac's are double 120. She's tired but it works good. 

mike_belben

How much does a new chain set ya back and how many hours they tend to live?
Praise The Lord

ehp

NW, for some reason I seem to go a bit faster when I'm cutting bigger money timber :D, no long skids on this job , maybe 1200 feet or so and trees are averaging around 500 feet each so cut 20 a day and you got a load for the truck , truck averages 9500 to 10500 feet per load most days , I will have all the walnut out by end of today if I do not get rained out , then I got about 100 trees of oak, maple and cherry to cut . I have not found any body to help me around here either so I end up working with just the 3 of us , me , myself and I 8)

Thank You Sponsors!