iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut boards thickness

Started by WOOD100, June 09, 2016, 12:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WOOD100

I have a walnut log. What is the optimum walnut boards thickness? I was thinking about 1 inch. What do you think?

Magicman

Depends upon what the lumber will be used for.  Is it for your personal use or are you planning to dry/sell it?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kcwoodbutcher

If I'm planning on selling it I go 1 1/8". At 1" I may lose a board or two because of drying defects. That extra 1/8" makes a difference.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

bags

I cut 5/4 for the furniture/ cabinet makers around here. Depending on how the board dries--- Theres more than enough material to plane out any cupping, and keep your clients "happy".

WDH

I would saw it 1 1/8" thick for 4/4, 1 5/8" thick for 6/4, and 2 1/8" thick for 8/4.  If you saw at 1 1/8", then after drying and planing, 90% of it will clean up to 15/16" thick.  That is what most woodworkers want. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

OffGrid973

If you get a nice couple slabs to bookmatch into a table you may get a buyer to pay much more. Depends on your market but slabs on either side of the pith and some 8/4 for legs and rails when you cut on the sides of the pith work great for a table project.   

I usually only flat saw here for making furniture and hope to one day learn the techniques to maximize quality wood without introducing to much waste.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Magicman

Personally I always preferred to glue up 1" boards matching opposing grain patterns for legs etc.  My theory was/is that they would be much more stable.  Anyway, I never had any problems with the glued up legs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

1 1/8" is what I saw to.   
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WIwoodworker

The easiest to sell is 4/4 which I also cut at 1 1/8". That assumes a nice relatively straight log. Good luck with your log!
Peterson 9" WPF

Carson-saws

I feel it depends on the grade of the log, both before you open it  and after the face cut.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

carykong

Walnut logs have a long self life. I support the previous posts that the actual user will determine how you actually mill the log.

Thank You Sponsors!