iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cedar wrap for 6x6 posts on pergola?

Started by OffGrid973, July 05, 2018, 09:55:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OffGrid973

Hi guys,

Have a customer wrapping his pergola posts with cedar and I was curious what thickness to make the boards?  1/2 or 3/4?

Also, any pics of cool edge design other than 90 angles when installed?
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Ljohnsaw

My neighbor just butt jointed the corners and then put up some 1/8" 2x2 angle iron with square head lag screws.  It used a vinegar solution to rust them up before installation.  He went very rustic.  :D :D :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Don P

I'd use 3/4 probably. You can run 2 opposite faces flush and then overlap them on the other two faces with overlap enough to have about 1/4" overhanging the  other faces, kind of a shadowline look.

Another old exterior corner design works better with 5/4 or better. For a 6x6 post the four boards would be 5-1/2" wide nailed to each face, leaving open corners. Then run a piece of quarter round slightly smaller than the  board thickness leaving a nice reveal.

Brucer

A contractor friend wanted to clad some built-up posts in a very old house with Douglas-Fir. He gave me the dimensions of the existing posts and I cut him some timbers that were 2-1/2" bigger in both dimensions. Then I sawed off 7/8" boards (1" minus kerf) from all 4 faces, and matched marked the ends.

We stacked and stickered the boards and let them air dry under lumber wrap. After a couple of weeks of July heat, the contractor planed the boards and then clad the built-up posts. The grain on the faces all matched the original timber so each post looked like it was solid wood. He then ran a router with a V-tipped cutter down each glue line, just cutting a shallow decorative cut which nicely hid the glue-joint.

I charged for the full size timber, minus the cost of the smaller timber I cut out of the core. Everyone was happy ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Magicman

Here is a partial trailer load of edged ERC slabs.  It would be a fairly simple matter to 45° and miter the corners.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!