iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blight-resistant chestnut?

Started by jkj, August 30, 2006, 08:31:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkj

A note in the morning paper (Knoxville News Sentinel) mentioned a researcher in Bristol TN thinks he is close to producing a blight-resistant cross between Chinese and American chestnut trees. 

Is this just optimism or a likely possibility?  Does anyone know who this researcher might be?  What is the current state of the chestnut research?

I would love to create a long-term test site and plant some trees as part of this effort.

JKJ
LT-15 for farm and fun

beenthere

Researchers can dream up a lot of things that they think they are going to do, or are on the verge of doing. That is how they get funding to continue their work. They have to convince someone that they are a good place to drop some funds. 

I'd not get too excited about it yet. But we can be optimistic.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tomboysawyer

This is a result of work done by the American Chestnut Foundation.

Interestingly enough, they are based here in Bennington, Vermont.

Their president stood up in Rotary yesterday morning to announce they had recently received some incredible grants - on in the millions of dollars, based on this research and success of theirs.

If Chestnuts are important to you, I'd suggest you hook up with them.

KGNC

JKJ:
I stopped by the test location in Bristol last spring. When I get home I can get you the names of the folks there. The test beds are not overly impressive but they are taking a very thought out approach and seem to be on the right track. They are  injecting 2 and 3 year old seedlings with the blight spoors. I had hear they would have a suitable tree in two years but I bet it will be longer than that.
I was also thinking about offering some underused meadows for a test/seed site but have not talked to them yet. I did donate to the TACF and now get the newsletter.

Greg

I applaud the work these folks at ACF are doing, but it seems like every time I go back and check them out (for the past 10 years) they are "just a couple years away" from producing a 15/16th americanblight resistant american chestnut cross.

Lets review this topic again in 2008  :-\

Greg

Ron Wenrich

My understanding is that Penn State has theirs in the last stages and should be available to the state in 2007.  The trees are being grown on the state nursery outside of State College.  I don't think there will be anything available to the general public for quite awhile.

I don't think this is all smoke and mirrors.  But, the problem with this type of research is that by the time you get to your goals, technology will have passed you by with something even easier.  Think along the lines of genetic engineering, which wasn't even in the pipelines 30 years ago.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

DanG

My Bro-in-law had some of those hybrids at one time.  He had lots of info on them, too.  I'll ask him about it. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

bseago

:)In Bayfield Wisconsin there are several american chestnut trees  that never died from the blight. A friend digs up about 12 seedlings every year to spread around with friends to help get more trees growing. Several large trees have been cut down to build new homes. I haved milled these trees and the wood looks very much like butternut. the seedlings are easy to find because there leaves stay green long after the under gowth has turned brown.

Riles

There is no documented blight resistance in native American chestnut. If you have one (as opposed to one the blight just hasn't reached yet), you need to tell the ACF. Send 'em an email.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Thank You Sponsors!