iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dodging the band roller.

Started by Percy, July 17, 2009, 09:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

Every so often, the LT70 gets a little antsy and dives for no apparent reason. Since I moved my setup a couple of months ago, my feed speed has been dropping to avoid ..the DIVE.... >:( >:(
Well, after talking to a guy who has a Cooks Band roller and has sworn that it is the best thing for increasing feed rates, I almost ordered one.
Now, my problem may be different than yours/others so take this for what its worth ;D

I use a Suffolk Dual tooth setter that works wonderfully. It came with a clamp on dial gauge that measures tooth set. When you clamp it on to a blade, you have to "zero" it  as zero differs from the inside of the blade to the outside of the blade as much as 8 or 9 thou as the blades get more and more cupped(mine actually cup away from the band wheels). Well today, I decided to use only the inside of the blade as a "zero reference". When I checked the set without zeroing the other side, I was nearly 10 thou different from side to side. I reset a cupped blade using the inside of the blade as a zero refernce for both sides of the blade and that blade cut ridiculiously fast with no deviation what so ever. I been tweekin the mill for weeks now and with this latest revelation, it is cutting beyond my best expectations.

Im a lousy splainer and hope I got my idea accross. My theory is that as the blades cup, some tooth setters deviate and cause, the DIVE....
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

WH_Conley

Just as a guess, when the blades are under tension, they will flex, or change the attack angle to the wood. Maybe you hit a sweet spot that is not in the normal order of thinking?

Me thinks that the setter is counting on a flat blade. When you put it under tension on a belted wheel it is not flat any longer.
Bill

Percy

Quote from: WH_Conley on July 17, 2009, 09:53:35 PM
Just as a guess, when the blades are under tension, they will flex, or change the attack angle to the wood. Maybe you hit a sweet spot that is not in the normal order of thinking?

Me thinks that the setter is counting on a flat blade. When you put it under tension on a belted wheel it is not flat any longer.
I thought that as well.I put the clamp on gauge on the mill with the blade tensioned and got the same results/measurements as the same blade in  the setter... :P
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

ladylake

Good to hear, do what works. It never hurts to try out different things.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!