iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sunday Sawing

Started by Norm, January 11, 2004, 12:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Temp warmed up to above 40 today so Patty and I cut up an old red oak that had lost the top in a wind storm this fall. The log had a big dead knot in one face but it was free so we cut around it as much as possible. The rest we'll trim down to 5'. It had lots of defects umm character so we will probable keep it for our own use.

It was 38" on the big end so we sliced around the outside first. Still got some nice boards tho.

This one was 22" wide.

I think we got about 200 bd ft out of it. I cut it all 6/4 as I'm thinking of making some interior doors with it.

Paul_H

Wow.I like the looks of that 22" slab.I remember seeing a picture of a interior door you had built with glass panels.

Nice.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Fla._Deadheader

I loooove them wide boards. 8) ;)  Nice stuff, Norm.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Larry

Nice looking lumber Norm. 8) 8)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WV_hillbilly

Nice looking boards Norm .  I think I ' ll   have to let the keyboard dry out from all the drool . There is something about those wide boards that get ya every time .  ;)
Hillbilly

EZ

Nice, really nice, Norm. I am a wide board man myself.
I have a customer just down the road from me that loves his wide boards also. He calls once in a while and usally he has one tree down and its all that my mill can handle. Last summer I sawed a large white oak for him. The cant was 28 inch and he wanted all the boards 28 inch, pretty cool. The old 16 hp sure got his work out.
EZ

Fla._Deadheader

EZ, IF ya ever get a Monkey Blade, yer in for a treat ;) ;) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

sawwood

Wow nice wide boards Norm and i do like them wide.
 Now if i could just find some logs that good.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Norm

Thanks for the nice comments, I got 3 or 4 flitches like the one Patty is holding before I hit the heart crack. I gave her the one she's holding and said here hold this while I take a picture. She was holding it low and pretty soon it started to tip back slowly.

Me: need some help
Her: @#%##@# yes!

I told her she was getting soft..... the dog and I had a nice night sleeping together. :D

shopteacher

That's some beautiful cellulose you got there Norm and Old Butch and I have spent many a night together. Ain't so bad, less hes been in the sauerkraut.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

EZ

Norm, you crack me up, pretty funny stuff. :D I read your last post this morning before I went to work. Laugh my butt off when I read it and when I was at work I was thinking about your wife trying to hold that board up and just started loosing it again.
My wife does things like that and I always say some thing to her like that and she gives me that look.
Sorry Patty for laughing so much about you. I guess it just hit the spot.
I've always injoy you guys post.
In my book you guys are good people.
God Bless you both.
EZ

woodmills1

Do the flitches curl near the bark?  I almost always edge even when wide.

The first time I got Kathy to help she got stung by a bee.  The second time she got a contact allergy from hickory.  I don't have a dog so I had to sleep alone. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Norm

Yep your right James, the ones that do it the worst are the flitches that come right under the bark. These probably won't as the bark is gone on most of it but I should still edge em.

I hate edging on the mill but since santa didn't bring me a new edger I'm stuck doing it. Maybe if I cut 8/4 that will  convince my helper an edger with some roller tables are a necessity. Guess I'll wait till the your getting soft remark wears off to suggest it tho.

Thanks for the kind words EZ, Patty informed me she knows how to run the camera too.

OneWithWood

Norm,
Might I suggest a different approach.  Instead of saying 'your getting soft' you might say 'you know neither one of us is as indistructable as we once were.  We should think about getting some mechanical help that would up the safety quotient.'  This has worked for me in the past and my sweet wife appreciates my concern for her safety ;)
Of course now that I have posted this Patty will be wise and you will have to be really really sincere about looking out for yours and her wellbeing. :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Norm

Hmm... what if I use reverse psychology on her and tell her go read what OWW said. Nah she'll see right through it last time I was sincere was when I asked her to marry me. How about I try termites method, probably won't work either she knows how to ignore me pretty well. I could suggest we don't pay our taxes this year but I won't need one if I'm in prison.

Why are those dang edgers so expensive.

Bibbyman

We don't like to saw on Sundays.  But we're finding more and more we've got to to keep up with demand.

Today we set our all time record for board feet sawn – just sort of 3,500. 8)

The logs were soft maple – pretty nice – most were 8' long – 5 were 10'.  Most were around 20" diameter,  a few smaller and a few large enough we had to notch out to get slabed down.  We sawed them into 8/4 grade. 

Not that we had perfect conditions.   One of the HD pump motors went out of the Super on Saturday so we were running on one pump – Standard HD speed.  We broke two blades and jumped two off  (my fault) at the end of the day - always happens when you're trying to get done.

Started at 8:00 am just me and Mary.  Son Gabe came in from some late night engagement about 9:30 am and started helping. We already had a good start with one bundle of 580 bf already banded down.   Had over 2,200 bf by noon.  Took a short lunch and back at it. 

The log broker showed up about 12:00 and borrowed our Terex to sort logs.  We made do with the AGCO.

The tractor trailer to haul out the lumber was a little late so we were able to finish up all the soft maple logs before he got there. 

We stopped sawing at 3:30.  DONE! But didn't get into the house until after 5:00 when the truck left.

I think we'll take the rest of the weekend off.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

sandmar

What's the matter Bibby? Mary getting soft on ya like Patty? ;D

Sandmar......running for cover!

Bibbyman

Mary getting soft??   I guess..   The broker came to the sawshed between sorting logs and when the lumber truck was to arrive.  He had some question about a red oak log on the lot.  Mary happened to have a Stihl 044 with 25" bar in one hand at the time.  But instead of setting it down,  she grabbed her LogRite Pro-Mary special in the other and walked out to the lot.  She hooked the nice size red oak and with one hand,  rolled it over. I was impressed...

After the sawing was done,   she baked a ham,  potatoes,  made a salad,  and other trimmings.   Also made some sweetbread from scratch to go with the strawberries we'll have later.
Sawing since '94

Kirk_Allen

Sounds like you and Mary had a great day! 

I spent the afternoon cutting 800 bf of Ash.  All stickered and ready to dry ;D  I was really surprised to get as much FAS out it as I did, which was over 450 bf.  All the reast was #1.

My wife spent all day working in her garage and getting her scroll saw set up in her domain instead of my garage ;D 

Out of the whole day I think the neetest thing was to find a Dove that had made her nest in a window ledge of our wood storage barn (Old Chicken Barn).  This morning there were two eggs in the nest.  This afternoon when I walked next to it she flew off and hit the ground running and acting all crippled trying to lure me away from her nest.  What a surprise in the nest this afternoon.  Only 1 egg now and a baby dove 8)  It was really cool.  I left it alone and she came right back in about 5 minutes.

The nest was right next to where I have the mill set up for my Ash logs.  I cut and watched her all afternoon.  After several attempts of giving her some worms she finally calmed down enough to let me put them on the edge of her nest without flying away.  THAT WAS COOL to say the least. 

UNCLEBUCK

Sounds like everyone had a good sunday . Thats great !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

footer

Between Friday and this evening, I logged, and sawed about 1100 bdft of eastern red cedar, on a lt40 manual and only worked 6 hrs on Saturday.  I'm about whipped. Good thing the weekend is over :D
I don't know what is worse, logging and limbing those darn ugly trees or wrestling them around on the mill!

Bibbyman

Quote from: Bibbyman on April 17, 2005, 07:32:55 PM
We don't like to saw on Sundays.  But we're finding more and more we've got to to keep up with demand.

Today we set our all time record for board feet sawn – just sort of 3,500. 8)

The logs were soft maple – pretty nice – most were 8' long – 5 were 10'.  Most were around 20" diameter,  a few smaller and a few large enough we had to notch out to get slabed down.  We sawed them into 8/4 grade. 

Not that we had perfect conditions.   One of the HD pump motors went out of the Super on Saturday so we were running on one pump – Standard HD speed.  We broke two blades and jumped two off  (my fault) at the end of the day - always happens when you're trying to get done.

Started at 8:00 am just me and Mary.  Son Gabe came in from some late night engagement about 9:30 am and started helping. We already had a good start with one bundle of 580 bf already banded down.   Had over 2,200 bf by noon.  Took a short lunch and back at it. 

The log broker showed up about 12:00 and borrowed our Terex to sort logs.  We made do with the AGCO.

The tractor trailer to haul out the lumber was a little late so we were able to finish up all the soft maple logs before he got there. 

We stopped sawing at 3:30.  DONE! But didn't get into the house until after 5:00 when the truck left.

I'm sure we set a new record today of around 3,800 bf.  8)

We were sawing 9' oak logs into 8x8s and making 4/4 flooring lumber off the sides.  The logs were not "grade" logs but I did pick the better and plumper ones.  We didn't have any interruptions or major problems. The logs were on the old side and took longer to saw but all were sound and produced an 8x8.   We sawed 38 logs total.

Our son Gabe was helping.  He offbeared the mill and fed the edger while Mary pulled off the back side of the edger.  She would also jump in and keep sawing while I unloaded the 8x8s from the Terex and loaded more logs onto the deck.

(These are not the 9' log we sawed. They were about the same except shorter.)

(This is DR_BUCK's Accuset 2 picture.  His mill is always clean.!)

The upgrades to the mill and operation has helped a lot.  The rollers out the end that allows us to quickly moved the 8x8 off the mill,  the dragback deck that makes offbearing easier.  The new version of Accuset that is faster,  new super blade guides, LubeMizer, and live deck keep things clicking at a faster pace.

Mary and I have been able to make 2,500 or so bf in a day with good logs and no problems.  But by 3:00 pm,  we feel like we've been pulled through a knothole.  We did that today by noon.  I told the crew that I was up to sawing another bundle if they were up to offbearing it.  We got the third bundle done by 3:00.  We were all ready to quit.
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

No sawing today.   After breakfast I got the girls out with their BB guns to practice shooting at pasteboard boxes on the sawdust pile.  As they worked at that,  I decided to clean out the accumulated junk from under the mill.  I have a hoe like rake that comes in real handy.   I made it about 2/3 of the way down the mill when I hit something hard to pull out.   It was a dead, maggot infested groundhog.

I think it was Friday that I was sawing when I noted Puddinhead, our dowg,  proudly  prancing along behind the mill with a fat groundhog in her jaws.  Pretty good day's work for an old dowg.  I figured she was looking for a place to hide it.  I found her hiding place this morning.

I wonder where she re-hid it? 

This is not the first "treasure" of her's that we've found.  A number of times when we've cleaned up she will be watching patiently until we about uncover something then dig up a bone or something putrefied beyond recognition and she'll take it off and re-inter it. 

Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!