iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

You folks made me do it!!

Started by 78NHTFY, May 06, 2018, 12:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

78NHTFY

Have been looking for awhile. Finally pulled the trigger.  Bought a JD 440BA skidder!! 8) 8)
This will be a big step up from my small Kubota and winch.  It's a mid 70's from what I can tell--is there a way to get the exact year based on its serial #?  Looks to be in reasonable shape.  My tractor guy will have it for a few weeks to take care of anything critical: one of the steering cylinders leaks; pins are a bit worn.  But it starts right up and no smoke.  If anyone here feels I need to be aware of anything in particular, let me know. 

Here's a pic: loading up at seller's.  All the best, Rob.  
If you have time, you win....

Stoneyacrefarm

Congrats. !!
Good luck with it. 
So much better than pulling wood with a tractor.  8)
Work hard. Be rewarded.

g_man

Looks good !!!! Hope that it works out good for you.

gg

mills

Looks like fun!  8)

Now what would want some help on? Log truck, knuckleboom, forwarder ...

;D  ;D  ;D

CX3

You'll forget you ever owned the tractor.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

thecfarm

I could have used that about 25 years ago. I only do firewood now,for me. Mostly small stuff,maybe a foot across,and that is mostly dead wood too. But I do have some big ones blow over. Maybe I will get one after all.
Could haul rocks with it. ;D 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

8) 8) just watch the frame for cracking by the front axle and keep the bolts tight where blade bolts to the side frame i think there is 8 of them on each side if they get loose it will also crack frame there as well     good luck with it 

Stoneyacrefarm

Ray,
I fought it for ten years. 
When I finally bought a skidder I found out it's a serious game changer. 
There is no comparison to pulling wood with a tractor. 
It's almost paid for now after less than a year cutting part time on weekends and after work. 
Work hard. Be rewarded.

Matt601

That's my next buy. Hope you enjoy it!
No matter where you go there you are!!!

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

78NHTFY

Thanks for all the encouragement and good advice!!  Stoneyacrefarm:  a game changer is right!  Even though it's one of the smallest ones it feels like a giant by comparison to my Kubota :o :o.  Coxy: thanks for the heads up--a few bolts are missing or broken off throughout: will be getting them drilled out, retapped, installed as necessary.  thecfarm: go for it!!  At 7 tons mine will drive a few rocks back down to where they belong :D :D, the others I'll just push out of the way...  CX3: I love my 3 other tractors (2250L Kubota with winch; 3350L Kubota with backhoe; 695 4wd Case Int'l pulling my PATU 525 forwarding trailer) and will never forget them ;D.  They may just see a little less activity....  mills: don't tempt me!!! I have a one ton dump (g_man inspired me to get one when I saw his  :)) but it's a far cry from a real log truck.  No, if I can find a good guy to truck what I cut/haul, that's what I'll do.  Will keep you all posted as things develop.  All the best, Rob.

mike_belben

Good luck rob.  Go make some $
Praise The Lord

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

East ky logging

I have one identical to that one. Good little skidder. I was pulling with a kubota m8200 fwd tractor.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

Bruno of NH

Rob
If your looking for some one to truck you wood to the mill
I know a couple of guys 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

78NHTFY

East ky logging--that's encouraging!  Kubota and John Deere: can't go TOO wrong....can 'ya?
Bruno--thanks, will definitely talk about trucking when time comes.  Look forward to seeing you at the shindig in Sanbornton.  Mike_Belben--from what I understand from this Forum, it takes two million to make a million, or something like that.. :D :D
All the best, Rob.

Grandpa

To add to what Coxy said, the one other weak spot is the front axle pivot. The bushing on the back side of the axle should last forever, the one on the front is not so good. Then, if it wears through, the pin wears into the axle casting requiring a lot of work and money to fix. 

I also recommend getting a shop manual. JD is like nothing else and unless you are familiar with them, diagnostics and repairs will drive you crazy.

Good luck, I call mine the operators dream and mechanics nightmare. :D

coxy

the worst thing i think on them is the hydro system mostly the steering to try and get the air out is a pita it kind of funny watching steer them selfs back and forth with no one in the operators seat  :D :D  they are a good little skidder if you run it like a small skidder and not a 740  :) my uncle had his for 40 years and it was used when he got it 1 motor lots of tires and a few sets of brakes never anything to the tranny except for wore out linkages 

KyLogger

I started out with a 440B after using a farm tractor. I sold it a little over a year ago for what I had in it. They are EXCELLENT machines for their size. Very handy in the woods, and will pull a pretty good turn. The only real problem I had with mine was when sitting on a steep hill hooking chokers the pump would lose its prime. Then you are in a mess, in a Deere if you lose your hydraulics you lose steering, blade, winch and most importantly brakes! I would have to put it in gear and either drive forward, backwards or spin and my hydraulics would finally catch back and I could freespool out to where I could go on. I had a good parking brake, but ALWAYS made sure I was backed against a tree or stump and had a clear shot up the hill to re prime the system. I just got a 240 TJ, and while it's certainly a lot more machine, I really miss the old Deere. Also watch those bolts that hold the blade cradle on and the frame there, it is a weak point. 
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

coxy

has any one ever owned or used the 340 jd skidder 

78NHTFY

KyLogger--thanks for the heads up on the hydro, valuable info as I have some steep terrain.  Does that occur when the hydraulic fluid is full, or just low in the tank? Thanks. Coxy also mentioned the bolts holding the blade cradle on the frame.  Will make sure all is tight there.  All the best, Rob.

Grandpa

I wouldn't worry about the hydraulics. KYLogger must have had something wrong in his machine. I've been on steep ground where we had to pull one skidder up the hill with another skidder and never had a problem.

Skeans1

Sounds like a pump issue or low hydraulic fluid level, we work up to 100% I've never had a pump cavitate like KYLogger. These are going to have gear pumps which it can be pretty easy to do being there's no load sense it'll be constant pressure.

mike_belben

Check for clogged sump screen, delaminated/collapsed suction hose, worn out pump.  Is it a vane pump?  Look for witness marks of chatter in the cam ring and worn vane tips.  Hit the pump, tank and valve with an IR thermometer after a hard run and see if your max temps are getting too hot.  Boiling kills pumps.

Is there any chance that a relief bypass is rerouted right back into the pump suction line?  Thats a terrible yet kinda common design.  Relief flow should go through a cooler and back to tank. 
Praise The Lord

Grandpa

This machine has a piston pump on the front of the engine. However, there is a gear pump in the transmission that lubes the transmission and is also a charge pump for the main pump. My guess is that there was a problem with the charge pump and it wouldn't pump that far uphill for some reason. The pickup tube for the charge pump goes to the right rear of the bottom of the transmission, so pointing uphill should make the oil supply nothing but better. 

I think it's a moot point because it sounds like KYLogger sold the machine that had the problem.

Maine logger88

Quote from: coxy on May 11, 2018, 07:24:40 AM
has any one ever owned or used the 340 jd skidder
I drove a 340D once it was a decent machine.  Basically just a 440c with no turbo it's still bigger than a 440b I think. 
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

78NHTFY

Helped my buddy at his shop with pulling what needs to be fixed.  Four hours to:
Pull steering/pump; remove brake/pump; remove both steering cylinders/brackets; remove trans cooler.  Everything sitting on the bench or on trays.  Cooler goes out to be reman'd.  Small frame crack get welded.  Buddy will reman steering/pump, brake/pump, one steering cylinder.  I'm good for scraping and cleaning years of crud.  When done, the hydraulic system should be tight!  Not pushing it time wise so 3-4 weeks to have it all back together.  8) 8)  Dug into the beast pretty deep so hopefull no big surprises going forward.  Here are the pics....

dsroten

I'd be interested in seeing the guts of one of those steering cylinders.  I picked up an old 540a recently that has leaky cylinders (among other things), and am trying to decide if I want to monkey with them myself. 

Thats a decent looking machine though, much cleaner than mine  ;D

KyLogger

Steering cylinders are a breeze to repack. And fairly accessable on those machines.
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

Skeans1

teakwood

it's really not difficult to do the steering cyl on the 440/540s. i did mines all alone 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

78NHTFY

Everything is back together: no leaks, no errors!! 8)  I still knock on wood for luck--good things there's a lot around ;D.  Took 5 wks to get it back from the shop--most of the time was waiting for parts.  Spent the last few days scraping, sanding and painting: for a dub at painting, I think it came out alright!  Couldn't resist painting the "stinger" with a left over can of red paint (don't mean to offend any JD paint color purists out there....).  Still have to find 2 1/4" stencil letter/#'s for the JD 440-B on each side panel.  Will keep you posted on what I get done in the woods.  Here's a before and after pic

.  All the best, Rob.

g_man

Lookin good Rob - Nice job. Have fun in the woods.

gg

teakwood

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

AlexHart

Ahh memories.  

1) Jiggle the wheel when you start it. 
2) Do NOT winch in park.  
3) Enjoy.  

cutterboy

Rob, you did a really nice job. It looks great!
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Bruno of NH

78NHTFY

Thanks guys!  
AlexHart--Am definitely enjoying it 8).  Twitched my first load today, some small blowdown. Winched in neutral, as you advised--why not in Park? (Am a newbie with a skidder so need all the help I can get).  And, what are these memories of which you speak?
All the best, Rob.

47sawdust

Don't scratch it now!

Looks really,nice.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

GRANITEstateMP

That looks like CASE / IH red, should help keep that Deere goin'!!!  ;D

Looks good, enjoy!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

mike_belben

Deere Repellant would be a good name for a IH sled puller.  Seen one that gave me a good chuckle.  

"Not Tonight Deere"
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!