iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Everybody always says "look up" ....pfftt!

Started by CCC4, August 04, 2016, 05:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

This beasty hit me 2x in the upper section of my boot while blocking off some rot! Yay!  :)

Bert

I cant believe its in one piece. I would have blocked off some snake  :o
Saw you tomorrow!

snowstorm

if there was a snake within a 100 miles i would be 110 miles away. up here i might see 1 a year and they dont bite

coxy

:o :o :o :o :o :o my skidder would be on the next train headed to the frozen north  :D :D

CCC4

Quote from: Bert on August 04, 2016, 05:50:08 PM
I cant believe its in one piece. I would have blocked off some snake  :o

One of the skidder guys is having it for dinner! LOL! I used my chainsaw on a copperhead last week, it moved and it slapped me in my thigh when it went up the bottom of the bar> LOL!

WV Sawmiller

Glad you're okay. I've stepped on them coon hunting and had cottonmouths hit the tops of my boots and only the fact I was wearing rubber boots that were tall and floppy saved me. I must admit it think I could have been a contender for the Olympic standing straight up jump when it happened and it definitely clears out any minor blockages in your arteries.

Unless they are a threat to me or my family or pets I leave them alone now but I killed hundreds in my younger days. If fishing was slow we'd go to rocky areas like railroad trestles and shoot snakes sunning there. In all honesty they likely weren't hurting anything (but they'd make you hurt yourself) and I know of several boat bottoms they were shot out when one fell in the boat and I've broken several paddles and fishing poles messing with them.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

CCC4

I get it, I just couldn't let that one walk. I did some thinking and called the nearest hospital and inquired about Timber Rattlesnake anti venom. I am cutting very remote and had to figure out a game plan if I take a hit. Nearest hospital is around 25 to 30 minutes away, Im in steep ground with a wretched hike out...so get a skidder to come get me so I dont panic or stress and push the venom through out. The hospital told me they keep (1) vial of Timber rattlesnake anti venom and then they air evac you to Little Rock. Either way, they take a rattle snake bite pretty serious here

timberlinetree

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

bigblue12v

I'd have cut myself with the saw while madly swinging said saw at said vile rodent!
Lots of junk not enough time.. full time mechanic part time logger, firewood junkie, outside boiler owner, meat smoker enthusiast, fabricator, dad, husband

Puffergas

Your a better man than me..!! I'll hide up here in the snow bank.. Glad your OK..!!
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

wolf nemeth

A few years back I was  recovering  from shoulder surgery, sitting on my deck reading. I heard a noise, looked up, and saw a middle part of  an apparently good sized snake hanging  out of the rain gutter right above my head.  I ran to the shed, got a hoe,  climbed on the reading table, and hooked the snake with the  corner of my hoe.
    It came down in a heap, coiled up and rattled. 
  I killed that rattlesnake three times, broke the hoe handle, and just for a minute completely  forgot I'd had  rotator cuff surgery the previous day.
If you  don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else!

Ken

CCC4  Glad you didn't get injured.  Hearing about those types of experiences makes me appreciative of our climate here on the east coast of Canada.  Cold winters = no poisonous snakes.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

CCC4

Quote from: wolf nemeth on August 07, 2016, 04:11:23 PM
   A few years back I was  recovering  from shoulder surgery, sitting on my deck reading. I heard a noise, looked up, and saw a middle part of  an apparently good sized snake hanging  out of the rain gutter right above my head.  I ran to the shed, got a hoe,  climbed on the reading table, and hooked the snake with the  corner of my hoe.
  I killed that rattlesnake three times, broke the hoe handle, and just for a minute completely  forgot I'd had  rotator cuff surgery the previous day.

"I killed that rattlesnake three times..."  Too funny, I'm still laughing!!

CCC4

Yep you cold climate fellas have it good on snakes and the escape from this wretched heat and humidity...but I just cant work in a T shirt! LOL!!!

mills

There is only one species of snakes here in my area, and I know them as copperheadedrattlemocasins.

If they don't kill me with poison, I'll surely die of heart failure.  >:(

coxy

Quote from: mills on August 08, 2016, 05:04:20 AM
I know them as copperheadedrattlemocasins.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

kiko

Got this on right near my house today, it had nine rattles.

kiko

Hope I am not highjacking your thread, CCC4.   Just go's to show you always gotta be lookin where you steppin.  This one was in my driveway some time back.  Dog days is what my granny used to call it.  With this heat those big boys are on t

he move.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: wolf nemeth on August 07, 2016, 04:11:23 PM
LOL, i am bad for breaking what ever i hit a snake with. i moved a bell cutter down the road one day and dad followed in the pick up. i had to shut her down in the road as a black snake was trying hard to get in a crack under the windshield. i beat him to death with what ever was handy. dad said three more fell out of it before i turned into the job. to this day, he won't get close to that machine, swears there has to be more snakes in it lol.

teakwood

When we started clearing my land for the teaksapplings we killed around 900 rattlesnakes over 3 years, almost one per day. Normally the workers cut them with their machete, i killed about 10 with the chain saw. I forbided my workers to kill boas and other harmless snakes, but the terciopelos and rattlers are just to dangerous. I had workers who didn't want to work for me because my land was famous for rattlesnakes :D :D. Now their pretty much gone, maybe 8 a year. Ones they brought a snake with 18 rattles!! :o that thing was around 6' long
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Dave Shepard

I saw a 3' garter shake last night. I should be good for another 2-3 years before I see another one. We have all kinds of poisonous snakes up here, but never really hear of anyone having any trouble with them, except the people who go looking for it. :D I've been reading a lot of Capstick lately. They have real snake problems in the places he was playing around in.

edited for spelling errors. Sometimes this fool phone has a mind of it's own.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

coxy

when we went to Vermont the guy said they did no have any rattle snakes up there by smugglers notch is that true or was he full of

Dave Shepard

I spoke too soon. Maybe my quota is filled for the next 4-6 years now.  :D

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

coxy

kensfarm

If you had enough snake skin to make boots.. that pattern would look pretty cool.. even a belt. 

just_sawing

Five years ago almost to the day I posted this. It's got funnier with the retelling at gatherings but I thought some may like it here.
(2011)
I demonstrate at the Wilson county fair every year. This year people have been contacting me to go get their logs to saw. I have a setup that I can do this but while riding in a Lexus to see some logs I got a Phone Call
"Mister Haney"
Were at wits end and don't know what to do. My something somethings brother has died we don't have the money for the funeral and have got permission to bury him on the phone. We have to have a Coffin and talked to every one and decided that you would know what to do.
At this point heck woods wood  I will donate.
Then the kicker "He is in the cooler and beginning to deteriorate and we need it tomorrow. Could you do it.
Did you catch the point that I am at the Wilson County Fair demonstrating my WoodMizer.
What the heck, I might as well but do you understand that I am basically going to have to build this with a sawmill and Chain Saw.
OK
Sunday Morning
Bring the Log truck home pick up Poplar
Go to my new home that I am remodeling to get screws and such
Now I get out at my new place walk back and step with in 6 inches of a eastern rattler in my yard. He doesn't strike (I have tennis shoes and short Pants on). I do though. Now I have a beheaded 4 foot rattler and a southern up bringing that doesn't like to waste things.
I now have gone to the fair and in front of everybody skin and mount the snake hide.
I now decided that since we are also building a casket today I might as well have mom cook the rattle also.
I start the project and here comes the Blacksmith (What are you doing?) building a Coffin (You need Handle for that)
They go off and have a class on Coffin Handles and a Cross.
The Woodcarvers What's his name and then take a board and proceed to carve his name and dates.
It was 10 PM in front of a few thousand people but we got it done.

You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

Dave Shepard

Yeah, that's a milk snake. Little one, about as big around as my little finger.

celliott

Quote from: coxy on August 08, 2016, 10:30:09 PM
when we went to Vermont the guy said they did no have any rattle snakes up there by smugglers notch is that true or was he full of

There has been a confirmed population of timber rattlesnakes in a small part of southern VT, near the Massachusetts border.
So no, no poisonous snakes anywhere near smugglers notch. Basically 99% of Vermont is rattlesnake free.

Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

coxy

if it was me id try to make it 100%free  :) :) :)  thanks for the info

celliott

Quote from: coxy on August 11, 2016, 05:46:02 AM
if it was me id try to make it 100%free  :) :) :)  thanks for the info

That's why they don't say exactly where the den areas are! Folks just want them gone.
They aren't up near me, so I don't care.
We hiked through that area, and talked to a hiker who reported seeing a small one, but we never did.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Oliver05262

Ummmmm; so how did Snake Mountain in Addison get it's name?
They also told me to be careful climbing around up in the Notch in Bristol-------------
(That was a long time ago. my knees sure won't let me climb up there now)
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

thecfarm

just sawing,nice to have others help you out. Glad it all worked out,better then expected.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

back in 2000 I was in southern Vermont/northern mass on vacation/honey moon  (cant remember where ) there was a big fire tower  don't think it was far from (hog back mountain the 100 mile view ) I saw s marks in the sand on the path and  thought about snakes and went back to the car  :) :) didn't think it would be wise to get bit at that time  ;D

celliott

Quote from: Oliver05262 on August 11, 2016, 10:43:39 PM
Ummmmm; so how did Snake Mountain in Addison get it's name?
They also told me to be careful climbing around up in the Notch in Bristol-------------
(That was a long time ago. my knees sure won't let me climb up there now)

There was a bounty on them in VT until 1971, and they were declared endangered in 1987. Per the VT F&W website.
No doubt years ago their range in the state was larger.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

coxy

years ago they let pigs run lose in long eddy/Hancock ny to get rid of the buzz tails the old timers said the snakes couldn't or wouldn't kill a pig but the pigs killed them   a friend from Texas said the pigs are a big threat to the snakes when they start buzzing its like a dinner bell he also said the snakes vary seldom buzz anymore because of them don't know how true it is but I'm not going to find out

Dave Shepard

I've heard that a pig won't die from a snake bite because of the layer of fat under the skin.

RHP Logging

Buckin in the woods

CCC4

CCC4

Kiko, naw man, appreciate the pics! You snakes look healthy for sure! The one I killed was pretty thin in my opinion. Where I am cutting at there are no ERC to be found, rattlesnakes use ERC to hunt squirrels. Snakes feeding on numbers of squirrels get really thick and look closer to the ones you showed. My buddy across the river lives up on a mountain ridge and his Son has killed over a dozen this season around their yard. The timbers he has shown looked just like mine though and not very heavy, pretty good length but appear thinner than I would expect. A local ERC crew was cutting South of me about 15 years ago and were killing them on a regular basis. Some exceding 56" and super thick. These were all ambush rattlesnakes and were all killed coiled up at the base of ERC and partially covered in cedar needles. They just sit there all day waiting on a squirrel to come down the tree. Imagine fixing to make your face cut with a 56" timber sitting there coiled and ready to strike...not good!

CCC4

Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 13, 2016, 04:28:49 PM
I've heard that a pig won't die from a snake bite because of the layer of fat under the skin.

That is what I have heard. However, think about this one for a sec...hog skin out of all mammals is closest related to Human...so could a really fat person sustain a good hit and not get sick? There almost has to be more to it. In my area, when you find heavy numbers of wild hogs...you wont see any snakes, venomous  or non. Hogs feed on snakes regularly.

LeeB

If and when I come across a 56"er, I'll be wearing a new pair of snake skin boots.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

CCC4

Quote from: LeeB on August 15, 2016, 09:21:25 AM
If and when I come across a 56"er, I'll be wearing a new pair of snake skin boots.

Thye were cutting in DeShay (not sure of spelling) the place was absolutely loaded!

Autocar

Just Sawing thats a cool story interesting how folks will jump on board to help someone out .
Bill

tj240

I am glad you are ok.  I would have fallen dead right there!!! In my opinionm the only good snake is a dead one!! Some may not agree, just my thought and i see that one is dead!!!
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

RHP Logging

Quote from: CCC4 on August 15, 2016, 08:42:09 AM
Quote from: RHP Logging on August 13, 2016, 05:09:55 PM
You guys know what a hustler is right?

A lawn mower?? Pfttt!

It's a pig that don't fly straight.  Scarface reference.  Apparently lost on everyone. Oh well. All I ever see in the woods is little garter snakes.  Other than one big trouser snake.  They reintroduced rattlers to the western part of my state years ago.  It's hillier and rockier over there.
Buckin in the woods

mills

Quote from: tj240 on August 15, 2016, 04:36:43 PM
I am glad you are ok.  I would have fallen dead right there!!! In my opinionm the only good snake is a dead one!! Some may not agree, just my thought and i see that one is dead!!!
[/quote

Growing up I had cousins that lived over the hill from us. My uncle would give us a whooping if we killed a snake at their house, but Dad would give us one if we saw a snake at our house and didn't kill it. :D

coxy

Quote from: CCC4 on August 15, 2016, 08:54:53 AM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 13, 2016, 04:28:49 PM

That is what I have heard. However, think about this one for a sec...hog skin out of all mammals is closest related to Human...so could a really fat person sustain a good hit and not get sick? There almost has to be more to it. In my area, when you find heavy numbers of wild hogs...you wont see any snakes, venomous  or non. Hogs feed on snakes regularly.
I don't think its the fat its the skin is so thick and hard    that's jmop of it

Thank You Sponsors!