iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling beams

Started by dean herring, December 20, 2022, 08:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dean herring

I've got a lot of 16-20' SYP logs. Is there a market for beams? I'm going to cut some 6"x12"x20' beams to see how they turn out. I cut some 
4x8x20' last week and they looked really good. 
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Magicman

Beams are specialty items depending upon the house plans.  I would be contacting the local builders to find out what they may need.  4X6's are very popular imitating exposed rafters, etc. in kitchens and great rooms.  

I have sawed thousands of posts and only a few hundred beams.  I sawed 231 posts which included 4X8, 8X8, 6X12, 12X12, 8X16, and 16X16 in September.  (some shown above)  I also sawed 53 ea. 4X6's for overhead decorative work.  All were 10' & 12' in length.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

If thinking structural beams/timbers, rather than decorative, then will likely need to be machine or visually stress-graded for assignment of the structural grade.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

logman

I buy pine timbers all the time, none of them graded except for douglas fir.  You may want to wait to saw them out until you get an order.  SYP doesn't do well sitting around.  You could always slab them just to get the bark off and resaw them once you get an order.
LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

cabindoc

I cut and installed 10x10 red pine cut local to me in so NJ on a resturant that was permitted and inspected and no request for grading stamps.  These were posts and headers for an outdoor eating area.  BUT, I think it depends on  the town, state, archetect, etc....
Scott  aka cabindoc  aka logologist at large
Woodmiser LT35 hyd
Kabota MX5400

Don P

The laws are there, enforcement varies. I'm not saying good or bad or that I don't have a house or few out there done just the same. However, be aware of where you are in that legally, permit and inspection did not transfer responsibility from you to them. 

Thank You Sponsors!