iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

$30 Cookie

Started by lowpolyjoe, May 20, 2013, 11:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowpolyjoe

Anyone out there getting $30 for something like this  :)  ?

delvis

I saw pine planters for sale at the greenhouse the other day that ranged from $5 to $9 and they were made from what I would use for stickers.  I need to get a market like that!
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

dboyt

Those cookies doubled in price at least twice (probably three times) after they left the mill.  Still, that would be $3.25 at the mill.  Yeh, I'd do it for that.  Just need a good way to clamp them.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

ladylake

The easy way to make those is with a crooked log, leave the crooked end stick up and cut.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Jeff

Cutting on the bias that way is how they keep them from cracking like a cookie will. Technically, they are not a cookie. There used to be a plaque factory in Frederick Michigan that made all the plaques for the little tourist trap places in Northern Michigan. You could go over there and get a car trunk load of cracked white pine ones for a buck to use for campfires. 

I'm getting old. That was 35 years ago.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

lowpolyjoe

I was wondering about that Jeff - how they kept from cracking.  I cut about 10 cookies last summer and only 2 survived the drying process without turning into PacMan :)
I thought it might have something to do with a diagonal cut (i assume that's what you mean by bias?).   I'll have to give that a shot next time i have something to cut up.

Ianab

Now to the untrained eye that's an overpriced wood cookie.

But if you call it a natural ecofriendly Dutch cheeseboard  ;D

http://www.boska.com/en/nature-schorsplank-m

It's worth at least $30  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

lowpolyjoe

Quote from: Ianab on May 20, 2013, 04:00:18 PM
Now to the untrained eye that's an overpriced wood cookie.

But if you call it a natural ecofriendly Dutch cheeseboard  ;D

http://www.boska.com/en/nature-schorsplank-m

It's worth at least $30  :D

Ian

Ha!   I was too lazy to track it down online :)  That's great.

Funny, under the "Usage" tab it says "Dishwasher : yes", but in the care tips it says no dishwasher.  I don't imagine that thing would do well in a trip through the pots-and-pans cycle  :D

Also like "Material : Bark"   :)

I was looking for house warming gift ideas when i came across this thing.  I just picked up some beer and wine instead   8)

AdamT

Out of curiosity, what is the procedure for cutting on the bias? I have an idea in my head, but would like to know how it is actually done.  Also drying procedures for such?

2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

Jeff

Rather than cutting straight across the log for a cookie, you cut on a steep angle.  I've done it on my lt30 with short logs and sticking one end down in the frame and securing it so it would not move.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ianab

Yup, that's the trick. According to the web page they are ~17" long, but only 7 or 8" wide. So it's an 8" "log" that's sliced on a shallow angle. Then you use a wood that's not prone to checking, I think those a Ash, but something like Cedar would probably work well too.

The discs might tend to warp a bit as they dried, but you sort that out with a sander once it's dried and stable.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

AdamT

Thanks Jeff and Ian, that's what I was thinking.
2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

woodmills1

all of my round ones crack

you are saying the ovals do not ???
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Ianab

Ovals are a LOT less prone to cracking. The steeper the angle, the more it starts to behave like a board as it dries. It may cup or twist from the drying stresses, but you can fix this later.  The wood can move a bit, without tearing itself apart like a round cookie usually does.

Species of wood makes a big difference too.

Ian

woodmills1

nice

the brides I deal with will be way more happy

mold and cracks make the brides get stress
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Sawdust Lover

What about soaking them in denatured alcohol? Doesn't that help them from cracking?

Thank You Sponsors!