iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Difference between Stihl 881 and the 880?

Started by York Woodwright, September 21, 2015, 11:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

York Woodwright

I ordered a new Stihl chainsaw today, to be used in a chainsaw mill  with a 4-foot bar. I thought I ordered the MS880, but when the paperwork was done, I see that I ordered an 881. The chap at the store told me it was their new model to replace the 880, and said that the bar is 47 inches and not 48. He couldn't tell me what the difference is between the two models. Anyone?
Charles
I'm still learning how to use my WM LT40HD. This is an avocation, not a vocation -- not as pecunious as medicine, but a lot more fun!

SawTroll

I don't think there even is a MS881 yet (at least not availiable for sale), and have no info on it. Are you sure there isn't just a mix-up in the "paperwork" concerning the order?
Information collector.

York Woodwright

SawTroll, I was also sceptical. I didn't think such a model existed either, and questioned the dealer.

But I saw the 881 model on the Stihl dealer price list (on paper) that the dealer used as well as on a website for dealers. Because I wanted a long bar, the local dealer phoned Stihl to get a special price for the 881 power head and long bar; he was very specific that this was a new model, though he admitted he didn't know what the difference(s) is/are. I had a choice between a standard handle and a curvy wrap-around handle; I opted for the standard one. My invoice also says '881'. I'll have it in about a week.

Because I couldn't find any info about the 881 on the web, I turned to my learned colleagues and posted my question here.  ???

Charles
I'm still learning how to use my WM LT40HD. This is an avocation, not a vocation -- not as pecunious as medicine, but a lot more fun!

HolmenTree

I'm certain it's a typo,  but you never know with a low sale model like the MS880 not much is advertised about and a upgraded model may slip through the woodwork.
Having said that seeing you're in Canada,  Stihl Canada does usually get new stock from Germany before anyone else . But Germany normally gets them first.
Maybe their mistakenly sending you a field test prototype  :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

SawTroll

The 881 isn't listed on the German website yet, nor at the Canadian one - but I'm sure there will be such a model at some point.

Surprises does happen - and there may be info in the dealer network, that isn't "official" yet.... :)
Information collector.

Cut4fun

There was the update to the 880 awhile back. Maybe that is what they are calling 881?  NE 880  new style muffler etc.  Other stuff Muffler, PC, FW, Coil, tank housing, carb, carb boot, and crank case have changed going by part numbers. Have a few threads with pics on it on chainsaw repair site.

deerslayer

If it comes in as an 881, be sure to post up pics and a review. Who knows, maybe you'll be the first to own this model?
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

SawTroll

Quote from: Cut4fun on September 22, 2015, 01:38:33 PM
There was the update to the 880 awhile back. Maybe that is what they are calling 881?  NE 880  new style muffler etc.  Other stuff Muffler, PC, FW, Coil, tank housing, carb, carb boot, and crank case have changed going by part numbers. Have a few threads with pics on it on chainsaw repair site.

Hopefully that isn't confused with the "detuned" 780?

Anyway, I have seen no sign of an 881 - but the 882 was of course a fact in 2005 or 2006.  :)
Information collector.

Texas-Jim

In Stihl's store front there is no 881 as of yet. Store front is where we as dealers get our prices. Nor is there a parts listing for it, so I'll have  to say its some kind of error.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

York Woodwright

I need to apologize for the confusion my original post created. I got a call from the dealer and picked up my new saw yesterday. It is an 880, not an 881. I was a bit surprised, and he also indicated that he was surprised as he thought he ordered an 881 for me. The consolation was that he dropped the price of my new 880. It's a beautiful machine, but with a 4 foot bar it weighs a ton -- I will need to eat extra Wheaties for breakfast. Again, I apologize for this mistake.
And, once again, the FF members were correct. There is no such beast as an 881. You chaps are a fount of all wooden knowledge.
Charles

Kingmt

Nice to know since a few weeks ago the dealer I bought my MS660 from was telling me the difference between the MS660 vs MS661 & MS880 vs MS881. I don't remember what it was but seems like it was a processor to control spark advance. I'd rather not be the first to test new technology when I need it to work & I have a chunk of change invested. If it was $500 cheaper to do the testing I might consider it. But I really don't care that much about the small improvements it might have made as long as it works.

Off topic but what ever happened to the 4 mix chainsaws that I'd heard years ago how much better they was?
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

HolmenTree

Never was a 4 Mix chainsaw.  That technology went to the little trimmer motors etc.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

JohnG28

Quote from: Kingmt on October 16, 2015, 07:59:58 AM
Nice to know since a few weeks ago the dealer I bought my MS660 from was telling me the difference between the MS660 vs MS661 & MS880 vs MS881. I don't remember what it was but seems like it was a processor to control spark advance. I'd rather not be the first to test new technology when I need it to work & I have a chunk of change invested. If it was $500 cheaper to do the testing I might consider it. But I really don't care that much about the small improvements it might have made as long as it works.

Off topic but what ever happened to the 4 mix chainsaws that I'd heard years ago how much better they was?

The 660 needs some work out of the box to have any guts IMO. With the cage opened up inside the muffler and a DP  exhaust along with appropriate carb tuning goes a LONG way for that saw. Reviews on the 661 seem to be good as well, I know I want one!  8)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Kingmt

Does a DP exhaust mean double port? As far as opening up the cage inside what do you mean? My inside muffler port is twice the size of my exhaust port & there is nothing inside the muffler.
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

Thank You Sponsors!