iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

central Boiler 5036 sprung a leak

Started by David-L, January 03, 2014, 06:07:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David-L

My boiler has a small pin hole leak on the 3/4 isolation flange valve on the hot supply side after the pump. Wouldn't you know the weather here in Mass is colder than the Jaheebee's right now. Should be a simple fix, the pin hole leak uses about 5 gallons a week or so I would say. I have a dealer close by so no problems, probably get it at a good plumbing store also. Never thought I would see a leak on the bell casting of this valve but it has happened and just wanted to get  this info out there. might be one of those have a spare deals as there is another one on top to isolate the pump or more depending on how many zones.
Has anyone on the forum had this valve spring a leak? Looks to be where the opposite side of the stem of the valve is on the inside of the casting.

Thanks David L
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

campfire courage

I've had a few leaks myself. IS your leak in a 3/4 nipple? Pipe?
Wood is my life, Saw it, drag it, mill it, burn it, build with it, cook with it, heat with it.

WoodMizer LT 30, Kabota 3940, Log Arch, Stihl saws.

Holmes

A hole right thru the casting is unusual but it does happen. You could remove it from the pump { can't do this with water in it} mark the hole location, file and sand it around the hole , heat it up and put some solder on the pin hole, or just change it out.
Think like a farmer.

David-L

I have switched out the valve and tested my boiler water which was in spec. The inside of the valve was all eaten up bad. Water from my tap is 6.5 to 7 ph which is good. Water in the furnace was 8. the water here at the farm is good and you know it when you taste it. valve was made in ----- and that is why. Most likely a bad casting and that is that. Now I have had a side arm heat ex changer issue that I am dealing with. Least it is warm now.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Thank You Sponsors!