iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dug Out Canoe

Started by Radar67, October 20, 2007, 10:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar67

On the way to Moultrie, GA, Don K and I stopped by a Visitor Center just inside the Georgia state line on Highway 84 W. This canoe was inside. It was made of Cypress and had really tight growth rings. The write up said it was built in the late 1700s to the early 1800s. It is worth the stop if you ever get down that way.

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

metalspinner

How did it survive?  Was it buried at the bottom of a lake?  That is amazing condition for something that old.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Radar67

It was buried in a river bank. Once it was found and removed, it was treated with PEG and dried, according to the write up on it. I'll see if I can get a readable version of the write up on here.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

SwampDonkey

That canoe looks to be in good shape. And if your cypress in the south is anything like false yellow cypress on the Pacific coast it will stay in tact for a long time without decay, except maybe sapwood. I saw some huge yellow cypress on the Charlottes  cut and laid on the ground from some kind of growth and yield study. It was just like fresh cut, had that peeled carrots smell to the wood. The blocks were 4 feet through near the but end. Found it while cruising timber above the camp at Eden Lake.

Reminds me. I think in the news or a recent show or news report they told of an old birch bark canoe that ended up in England I think and it was stored in a shed or something. My memory seems a bit foggy on it. Gotta go Google.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!