iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree house / Platform ?

Started by Stilton, January 02, 2011, 10:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stilton

Ahoy! i started climbing with ropes recreationally a few months ago, i've been free climbing trees since i was a young'un despite the fact i have a slight fear of heights! up untill i got my gear id climb a tree, say, once a week when i had time to take my dog for a long walk over the park (just to see my dogs bewilderd face if nothing else :D) i'd just see a tree that looked alright and climb to somewhere that felt comfterble(sort of), sit there and watch the sunset, have some lunch, read a book, or just watch my dog freak out! i dont know why, it just gives me a true sense of freedom being off the ground ;D but generally the highest i'd climb is 10-15ft, i wanted to go higher, but my fear, and probaly common sense held me back, then a few months back i saw a few arborists pruning parts of a massive english oak by my house, right up near the canopy! well that was it! i was out next weekend buying my gear! now i climb as high as i can get my rope!

my other hobbies include photography and painting and i cant wait to get up to the canopy with my camera (getting a serious lanyard first :D) i would also love to paint from right near canopy! i've done some sketching whilst sitting in the tree, but i cant imagine trying to paint up there! which brings me to the title of my post :)

obviously i wouldnt want to damage the tree, and i would still want to be secured to my rope and harness, not at all not relying on the platform, but the idea is just to give me somewhere flat to set up a deck chair + easel, no more than a meter squared i'd say,  the only idea i've have is finding a big tree with a relatively flat branch like a cedar, or something similar and just lashing a few wooden pallets up there? im sure someone could come up with something alot better than that haha

any advice or information is greatly apriciated :)

Tom

What a joy it is to climb a tree.  I haven't done it, but a time or two, since I was a kid.

You could probably get a Tree Stand that would strap onto your back, or be able to pull it into the tree after you climbed it.  They would offer you a work station without damaging the tree.

I've read some interesting articles of Recreational climbers in the North West who climb the big trees.  There is one in particular who made a composite photograph of the tallest redwood.

NatGeo

Don_Papenburg

I got a Genie 45-22 It makes tree climbing ,house climbing windmill oil changes safer it makes a great deer stand and it is mobile , you are not confinded to just one tree.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Kevin

You could always climb up with a camera, take several pictures and paint or sketch from the pictures.
Here's a picture from the top of a pine I was pruning.

Here's a seat you can pull up into the tree with a rope.

Thank You Sponsors!