iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pulp Truck

Started by Farmboy 96, February 25, 2016, 09:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmboy 96

Wondering if any of you guys know of any dealers or folks in ME, NH or Vermont that are selling older single or tandem axle trucks with a pulp loader. Looking for something under 25k. I know its not much but I'm not afraid of a little tinkering. Looking to start hauling my own wood since prices on everything are going down. Once trucking is deducted it takes a chunk out of the check. I know trucking cost money to with, fuel, upkeep, insurance, registration etc, but I'd still end up saving some money and I can haul the wood when I want without having to wait around.

thecfarm

I use to cut wood on the land I live now. I was lucky,a 2 day wait for my trucker was a long time. Most times the next day. Others tried to get me to buy a truck,so I could "keep" all the money and be able to haul when and where I wanted too. The where was easy,this trucker would haul where ever I told him to go. If you are trucking,who's cutting? That was my agruement. Can't do 2 things at once.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

millcreek40

Not a bad looking single axle with a loader appeared on new Hampshire craigslist today for 14k  type in log truck
Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

millcreek40

Farmboy 96

I'm a one one man show I'd be doing both cutting and trucking. I average between 3-4 triaxle loads a week right now. I'm not looking to get into hauling others wood but I do know some people that cut part time that would hire me to do their trucking. 

millcreek40

I cut alone as well and truck my own logs. If you get a log truck everybody wants you to haul there wood & before long you don't have time to cut any wood. Pick your poison   Good luck

finding the trail

Trucks are a expensive high maintenance regulatory nightmare. For 3 or 4 loads per week consider hiring it out you will be money ahead.   Good luck

jdeere540a

millcreek40 is right when i bought my truck it seemed every one wanted me to haul. i will for a few friends here and there but thats it.  my truck is to small its only a 10 wheeler with a barko 80 i haul about 3000 bf. imo i would go heaver then 25k my 10 wheeler is good for 55k and thats as small as i would go its a nice size for one man with one skidder.

Peter Drouin

I saw that truck on CL and thought about it for a min. Then came to my senses. :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Autocar

Farmboy don't let them scare you off, best thing I ever did was own my own rig. As far as hauling other guys logs ya just say No . Nothing better then when your ready to move your equipment or to haul logs you can do it at your will. Good luck I don't think your regrett it.
Bill

millcreek40

I am not saying not to do it.  I am just saying everybody will want there's hauled. People get mad when I say no. I try to tell that that I don't have time. They just won't take no as a answer. Guess I should double the price. That should do it. Lol. I would be lost without my truck

Farmboy 96

I know hauling my own wood wouldn't be a huge money saver but I wouldn't have to wait around to have someone pick up the wood. Lately the guy i hire to haul my wood has been getting slack.

So I tried a few other people that haul wood in the area and just haven't had any luck. One guy that showed up took forever to pay me because he messed up and put it in wrong information at the mill and I had to fight argue to get him to call the mill up and straigtin it all out..

Other guy I had took a full load of fresh cut popple about nine cords and only paid me for 10.71 tons. I got my paperwork and check in the mail and I was pi**ed. On the trip ticket it has his name, his tent to harvest number, and its the wrong date and time. He crossed his name out and wrote my name in under his with a pencil. He took my load and put it in his name and info. When i confronted him he tried blowing me off and told me that what he paid me for was my load. I might be young but I'm not stupid. I made just enough to pay stumpage, buy fuel for that load  and buy my daily Moxie.

After that I knew i needed my own truck.

bushmechanic

I don't know what lengths you guys haul on trucks but we usually haul 101 inch logs and firewood. We bought a x-roll-off truck and modified to haul wood. Less the loader and we can haul an extra 2 cord of wood. I made some removable rear horns so we can haul firewood also.This is working good for us.

jocco

Well my boy, my thoughts, If you are going to get a truck try to get some thing decent. Might as well get a tri axle you can probably haul about 8 cord. You can probably get a little work for a friend or two hauling theirs  or doing stupid jobs like brush removal, tearing down old building etc!!!! Plan on about $5000 to put it on the road not including repair work :o
You may check out but you will never leave

finding the trail

A business plan based on expenses and anticipated revenue will be a good idea right now. Their is a ton of experience at your disposal right here on this forum. Feel free to ask away.

Autocar

My tri axle is licensed for 78,000 and with the prentice setting on the rear it weighs in at 15 tons. Licenses cost me $1400.oo a year, insurance is about the same cost. I always paid $300.00 a load to have my logs trucked so I feel Iam making money owning my own truck and it gets done fairly fast. I can hall close to three thousand feet on the truck and by pulling the pup trailer I can get over weight fast but hauling from the woods to home I can push the limit. Iam not sure what kinds of timber you cut but Iam sure it would be  a little tuffer cutting low grade logs and making it pay but just the independance is worth it !
Bill

Ken

In my mind trucks are an expensive convenience.  Unless you are a dedicated trucker who has the knowledge and experience to operate and maintain a dependable truck full time it is not a paying proposition.  It takes a ton of time and money to keep a truck road worthy.  That is my experience. 

Regional differences in markets will play a big part in your decision.  In this area industry has forced loggers and truckers to become very efficient in terms of producing and delivering wood.  That as meant tandem or single axle trucks are pretty much non-existent unless you work very close to the mill.

Most contractors who are consistent with their production, make neat piles and merchandise their wood properly have no problem finding a reliable trucker around here.   
Lots of toys for working in the bush

jdeere540a

i forgot to mention before after have a log truck i never want to be with out it. it is very useful for more then just logs as others have said.  i'm sure things are different in other places but here in New Hampshire and i'm sure Maine too there is still a place for small log and pulp trucks. there is still a hand full of guys in my area that have a small log truck and one skidder and do pretty good.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: jdeere540a on February 27, 2016, 08:21:24 PM
i forgot to mention before after have a log truck i never want to be with out it. it is very useful for more then just logs as others have said.  i'm sure things are different in other places but here in New Hampshire and i'm sure Maine too there is still a place for small log and pulp trucks. there is still a hand full of guys in my area that have a small log truck and one skidder and do pretty good.

Have 4 in Sanbornton, They do all my trucking and there own. 8)

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

snowstorm

Quote from: bushmechanic on February 26, 2016, 09:30:43 PM
I don't know what lengths you guys haul on trucks but we usually haul 101 inch logs and firewood. We bought a x-roll-off truck and modified to haul wood. Less the loader and we can haul an extra 2 cord of wood. I made some removable rear horns so we can haul firewood also.This is working good for us.

i find that twin steer truck interesting. it seems like a good idea. is it? how is it on ice and snow?

Woodhauler

Quote from: Farmboy 96 on February 26, 2016, 09:11:32 PM
I know hauling my own wood wouldn't be a huge money saver but I wouldn't have to wait around to have someone pick up the wood. Lately the guy i hire to haul my wood has been getting slack.

So I tried a few other people that haul wood in the area and just haven't had any luck. One guy that showed up took forever to pay me because he messed up and put it in wrong information at the mill and I had to fight argue to get him to call the mill up and straigtin it all out..

Other guy I had took a full load of fresh cut popple about nine cords and only paid me for 10.71 tons. I got my paperwork and check in the mail and I was pi**ed. On the trip ticket it has his name, his tent to harvest number, and its the wrong date and time. He crossed his name out and wrote my name in under his with a pencil. He took my load and put it in his name and info. When i confronted him he tried blowing me off and told me that what he paid me for was my load. I might be young but I'm not stupid. I made just enough to pay stumpage, buy fuel for that load  and buy my daily Moxie.

After that I knew i needed my own truck.
I have dealt with cutters like you, New to the game, can't put up a pile worth loading and everyone is sticking it to you. There is a reason you have gone through 3-4 truckers since you started cutting last fall. I would recommened buying a old truck because we have 15 new dot cops coming on this summer. They put my new truck out of service because of 1 drop oil on the ground. Also do you have any contracts at any of the remaining mills in maine???  I have hauled and had some crews for 35 years now and with all my contracts I am only selling 6-8 loads aweek of pulp. Logs are ok. Being 19 yrs old you will pay 2500 a year insurance, and atleast 1500 for registration. You will find that its not all peaches and cream with a old junk truck.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

furltech

Over the years i have dealt with lots of truckers both good and bad .I am such a small producer now i would like a truck just so i wasnt bothering anyone .lol.But my two cents are, only you know if it will pay and i am not sure how dot is in your neck of the woods but around here if you are doing a decent job and being straight up they dont target you too bad it does sound different south of the border

millcreek40

Don't forget the cost of the overweight permit. Just trying to get all the cost in there. As I said I would be lost without my truck.

Corley5

I'm glad others own log trucks so I don't need my own  ;) :) 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

bushmechanic

Snowstorm we don't truck wintertime so I can't tell you if is good or not. The truck has a 24' deck on it and with the extra axle in the front we can scale between 10 and 11 cord at the mill. Were not allowed to have a idler axles anywhere on our trucks here in Newfoundland, so the twin steer was a better fit than a tandem and less than a tractor and trailer. We can also haul firewood, pull the rear horns and dump the load off, just make sure of your overhead wires. :o 

Thank You Sponsors!