iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rustic cedar bench

Started by pineywoods, March 21, 2015, 09:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

Sawed a bunch of pine lumber for a customer fishing camp. Learned his wife liked rustic furniture, so I made her this rustic cedar bench to put on the front porch of the camp house. 2 inch thic ERC slabs held together with lag bolts. The heads of the bolts are recessed and a cedar peg covers them.

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

WDH

The natural edges really look nice.  Has a good flow to it.  The left leg looks like a boot.  Were they from Louisiana?   ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

I have gots to try something like that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pineywoods

Quote from: WDH on March 21, 2015, 09:21:34 PM
  Were they from Louisiana?   ;D.
Yep, north of Bastrop on the banks of bayou bartholamew...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

pineywoods

Well not $300 short term but maybe more over the long term. I sawed up enough pine framing lumber and paneling to build a good sized camphouse. Customer paid invoice plus a generous tip. His wife came with him and she had a coniption fit (old saying) over my woodworking shop, and said she just loves rustic furiture items. Sssoooo, I invested one cedar slab and about 4 hours of timeand donated same as a housewarming gift. I figure she will surely want at least a free edge table to match..Maybe some rustic chairs too. Is this bribery or just good business ?
::)  :-\

Magicman

Absolutely good business.  The paying customer is important and needs to be treated that way.  Nothing wrong with "playing the game"  (old saying) and "buttering" things up.  (another old saying)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bill Gaiche

Nice Pinney. Those kind of benches are one of a kind. Business, good heart or what ever you want to call it, if it makes your heart feel good then I feel you have been paid in full. Never know you might get a Pecan pie or Black Berry cobbler somewhere down the road for your deeds. bg

woody329

justallan1

Piney, nice bench. I need to make one to replace the old metal chair in the mud room.
As for doing a favor for someone that may end up bringing you some business, I'm all for it. Makes you feel good, them feel good and everyone spends their money somewhere. It's like a big business card that you can't lose and never forget about. ;D

fishpharmer

That's a beautiful cedar bench.  Making friends with customers/sawyers is one of the nice things about a small mill operation.    8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WDH

I cut a cedar beam as a mantle, but once I got it planed, it told me that it wanted to be a bench.  So, I complied.

It is a brute.  Made from a 10' beam 4" thick after planing and 16" wide.  I call it the Fred Flintstone bench.  If you do not know who Fred Flintstone is or do not know where Bedrock is, you are too young to be reading this thread, and you need to go tell your Mother where you are playing :D.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

69bronco

Good looking bench, if you put a finish on it make sure to take another pic!

Bruno of NH

WDH
How are the legs attached ?
That's a nice bench :)
The Big Man
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Somebody is going to come along and buy it, but I guess that you already know that.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You got that out of my building WDH!  ;D

Slicker than a whistle.

samandothers

Betty and Wilma would be tickled with that in front of their cave!

WDH

Bruno,

Like the Piney's bench in the first post of this thread, they are attached with 6" lag bolts.  4 per side, and the pilot holes for the bolt heads are plugged with 7/8" cedar plugs.  This think is stout.  Even Dino could sit on it with no problem. 

Widehead, you are going to have to keep that building locked ;D. 

WDH

The Flintstone Bench sold this weekend and is off to a new home. 

DPatton

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on March 04, 2018, 04:25:14 PM
Somebody is going to come along and buy it, but I guess that you already know that.   :)
I could say "I told you so", but I won't.  :)

WDH

I just makes em and sells em. 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on March 14, 2018, 07:33:32 AM
I just makes em and sells em.
:D :D :D :D You're the only man I know that does not have a place to sit at home.  :D :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!