iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

FINALLY! Some progress with the new shop.

Started by DR_Buck, January 18, 2018, 09:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

After a few weeks working at it I finally got the new woodshop fully insulated.   And, its right ion time as my new mini-split heat pump gets delivered tomorrow.    The entire shop (40x26) is done with closed cell foam panels.   The walls are 3 1/2" (~R20) and the ceiling is 5 1/2" (~R40).   All the seams and joints are sealed with spray foam to make it completely closed so there will be no air leaks.   The next step is to get the walls finished.  I plan on doing the bottom 4 ft in 4x8 OSB trimmed out and painted to look like wainscoting and the top 8 feet will be done in vertical shiplap.     

We got a deal on the foam panels and purchased two tractor trailer loads of them.   When I put the new addition on the house I am using the same stuff to insulate.   

It's been a pain working around everything I have in there but there is no other place for it to be.   Even worse is all the time wasted looking in boxes and under stuff for tools that are still packed from our move in November.  I'll be glad when the shop is functional.

Here's some picture of the last week up until tonight when I finished.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

osage outlaw

That is a nice work shop.  I would sure like to have one that big.  I'm hoping to build a 24'x24' in the next few years.

Planman1954

You are close to being a very happy camper!
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

bedway

Crusarius

What are you going to use to hang stuff on the walls? you might be better off doing 8' of osb that way you have a nice smooth surface for shelves or cabinets. can also french cleat the entire thing and make everything modular.

21incher

Great progress, nice size shop. Do you have to use fireshield over the white foam Before adding the wood?
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

DR_Buck

Quote from: 21incher on January 21, 2018, 05:06:35 PM
Great progress, nice size shop. Do you have to use fireshield over the white foam Before adding the wood?

There are no code or zoning regulations that apply as the building falls under agricultural requirements.   The foam is standard polyiso closed cell, the same as the insulation companies spray into new construction and major renovations.   I've also tested the foam for flammability using a propane torch.   It is very hard to get burning and has always burned out and not continued to spread.   

Bottom line is I am not doing anything other than hanging the wood over the installed foam.   The joints between the foam panels are filled with the 'Pro' spray foam which is fireblock rated (orange color) only because it doesn't come in any other version that I have found.

DR_Buck

Got the new DIY heat pump kit installed and operating yesterday.     Set it for 75º and left it on all night.   This morning when it was 25º outside the shop was a toasty 75º.    8) 8) 8)

It's a 3 ton unit and should work fine for heating and cooling the 1200 square feet of shop.      Now I can start setting up my equipment and begin cleaning the rust off of the tops of my table saw, jointer, bandsaw and drill press.    smiley_crying   They are a mess after 3 months of high humidity and up and down temperatures.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Jemclimber

Dr. Buck,

Can you tell more about the heat pump. Are they also referred to as a mini split? Where did you get it? How much was it? And how was the installation?
lt15

DR_Buck

Quote from: Jemclimber on January 26, 2018, 09:48:35 AM
Dr. Buck,

Can you tell more about the heat pump. Are they also referred to as a mini split? Where did you get it? How much was it? And how was the installation?

Yes,  It's a mini-split.  The brand is MR Cool.   The cost was ~ $2400.  I purchased online from Ingram's Heating and Air. (http://ingramswaterandair.com/)  This was the biggest 'DIY' unit they offer.    Installation was not to bad.    There are lots of YouTube videos posted.   I'd suggest watching a few of those before attempting an install.   No special tools needed.    I ordered mine with a wall mount for the outdoor unit, but the large one will not fit on a wall mount so I put in the concrete. 

Several places sell MR Cool, including Lowes and Home Depot but Ingram's offered the best deal.

justallan1

Nice shop. It must be really nice to be at the stage of starting to get things organized and machines in place.
I bought a 25x42 Steel Masters Quonset hut in the fall but the batch plant shut down for the winter before I got the chance to pour my footers and slab. I wanted a straight walled shop but got lucky and found mine brand new for $7250, so I can't gripe.

Don_Papenburg

Pour your footers a lot taller than you had planed , so you can have straight walls . even 4or 5 foot tall will make a decent wall height .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

justallan1

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on January 26, 2018, 09:15:55 PM
Pour your footers a lot taller than you had planed , so you can have straight walls . even 4or 5 foot tall will make a decent wall height .
If that response was for me....
Due to snow load requirements and that it's a Quonset I can't use a sub wall because of the outward forces. I bought the building new from someone here local and everything is engineered for a lot about a quarter mile from my house, so I'm trying to play nice and not ruffle any feathers. We have a covenant here saying that I'm only about a block away from not even being able to put up a Quonset hut, so I'm not asking no questions.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Magicman

Dave, your project is shaping up quite nicely.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SlowJoeCrow

That looks like a nice HVAC solution, I will have to look into it.  I eventually want to have a worry free heating solution for my shop once I get it insulated.  Right now I use an old coal furnace to take the chill off, but it certainly isn't ideal.  That has got to be great to go out to the shop first thing in the morning and be nice and toasty.

DR_Buck

The last 5 days I've been working to get the walls in the shop done so I can start hanging shelves and unboxing things.   It took a lot longer than I thought it would.   There was somewhere around 45 sheet of OSB to cut and hang.    First I had to screw 1x4 strips over the  insulation into the 2x cross framing of the pole building so I had something to fasten the OSB to.   

Before I put up the insulation I marked each vertical 6x6  indicating where the 2x cross frame was located.   Then the insulation was screwed to the 2x framing using 3 1/2" screws and large homemade washers.    This was followed by screwing the 1x4s screwed through the insulation into the 2x cross framing with 4 1/2" screws.    Each 7 1/2  foot wide section  needed 6 or 7 horizontal 1x4s spaced 24".   Then the OSB was cut and nailed to the 1x4s.   

Early today I finished installing the OSB.  My plan was to stop here and start putting up shelves and unpacking.   I would paint walls later.   Well after thinking about it I decided I better paint first or it will never get done.   So also today I moved every thing to the center, cleaned up my mess and masked and taped everything.    Then I broke out the airless sprayer.   I was pretty surprised how fast the paint went.   I was barely half done when I went through 5 gallons.   :o   So about 5 PM I made a run to pick up 10 more gallons to be safe.    Good thing.   It tool another 6 1/2 gallons to finish up.  But it is done.

I already decided that the ceiling will come later.  I'd like to use white metal panels like Jeff did in his shop, but those cost almost 3 time the cost of doing drywall.        Tomorrow I finally start unpacking and setting up shop      8) 8) 8) 8)

Unpainted walls --

Painted Walls ---

SlowJoeCrow

Very nice, good on you for painting the walls now rather than never later. ;D

Ljohnsaw

Looks great!  Is that gloss or just wet paint?  If gloss, you will really like it - it stays so much cleaner than flat and I think it reflects light better, too.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

Wise decision to paint now and it looks good.  What paint did you use to prevent bleed through? 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DR_Buck

Quote from: Magicman on February 01, 2018, 09:55:52 AM
Wise decision to paint now and it looks good.  What paint did you use to prevent bleed through?

Cheap.   :D      I used Lowes "Barn & Fence",  with primer included.   It's  made by Valspar.    I also applied it heavy with a high pressure airless sprayer to get it imbedded into the OSB. 

isawlogs

Nice shop, '' Cheap'' my kind of paint. I so regret not painting my shop when I put it up. It will be a pain when I do get around to it.  :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Raider Bill

It's amazing how fast you can burn through paint with a pump.

Looks great!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Larry

Quote from: DR_Buck on January 31, 2018, 10:35:42 PM
I already decided that the ceiling will come later.  I'd like to use white metal panels like Jeff did in his shop, but those cost almost 3 time the cost of doing drywall.

I used metal on the ceiling of my shop 14 years ago and drywall on the walls.  They sell a cheaper metal panel just for interior use.  At that time if one figured in mud, tape, paint, screws, and drywall the metal was way cheaper.  Much faster and I did it all myself.  The trick is getting a good airtight seal on the ends of the panel where they meet the wall. 

We have a couple of plants here that manufacture metal panels.  Sometimes they sell seconds even cheaper than the interior metal. 

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

flatrock58

Nice shop.  I have been working on mine for about 18 months and finally got power last month.  It is amazing how long it takes one person to build a shop with grand kids and all the other stuff going on in life! 
I like the mini-split.  Was it shipped with the Freon in it?  I might have to look into that.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!