iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Once the third largest cottonwood in WI

Started by Wisconsin, March 20, 2014, 09:32:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wisconsin

On my parent's farm stands the remains of a once magnificent tree.  The giant cottonwood was hit by lightening a few times.  It has an huge base, and only one of the three main divisions still stands.  The first division to go was a lucky one that fell into the driveway.  My parents had the second division removed as they feared it would fall on top of the house.  That division turned out to have been healthy.  No clue what health the remaining division is in.  They talk now of having the last division removed, or even the whole of it removed.  But they just want to trash it essentially, they say that cottonwood has no real usable value.  This bothers me as I would like to see something done with all that wood, I imagine that something giant could be carved out of the base.  I would like to know what all can be done with cottonwood.  Also, with the heavy snows, my parents have lost some of their lilac branches.  The lilacs are also large from what I've seen of lilacs.  I think that they were planted by my grandmother many decades ago.  I know that lilac is very hard, and is often used to make pens, but what else can be done with it?  These woods, cotton and lilac, don't seem to have a big market, so I worry that I won't know how to find a future for the wood.

Magicman

Hello Wisconsin, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

I know how you feel.  My "Champion Tree" (a huge Red Oak) is dying.  Also, I had to cut a dead limb off of the old Pear tree that my Mom planted ~1937.  The old tree is also dying, but clinging to life as best that it can.

I kept two sections of the limb in hopes that a Friend can make a memento out of it for me. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

shelbycharger400

I've heard of smoking meat with lilac.   

Thank You Sponsors!