iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ohio Deer Season 2013

Started by Autocar, December 07, 2013, 10:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

It came in on Monday and I always take hand-cap fellows hunting on the first two days of shotgun season.The last five years I can see the deer heard decline here in west central ohio,this past season I had told the guys bucks only and stood by that again this year. I have two propertys one is a old farm thats river bottom and timber and just a bunch of sticker bushes. The second property is a old landfill that been closed for years also setting on river bottom with timber. Around five hundred acres and no hunting is aloud on eather property except for the handy cap. In 2003 it wasn't uncommon to see over a hundred deer the first day and the same on the next day. Then as a few years went by you could see sixty a day. Not sure what year but between the farming groups and automobile insurance companys started pressureing the the state because of crop damage and crashes the state started selling more deer tags stating they want to control the heard size and get it in more balance. Every year we see less and less last year we saw three in the two days this year we saw a doe and fawn. Here in Auglaize cty. your aloud to kill three deer then go to Mercer cty. which is two miles west to the line and kill another three. I know theres still places in Ohio where they still have deer but state wide the hunters I talk with say its down where there at also. Iam first to say a hundred deer can eat alot of grain and cause a few car crashes. But I would think there can be some middle ground so we can enjoy taking someone hunting so they could exsperance the outdoors and wildlife like I have over the years. West central and north western ohio is about as flat as your kitchen table and the farm ground sells as high as $15,000.00 a acre Iam afarid our woodlands and wildlife will end up on the short end of the rope, thanks for letting me rant and rave for a few minuites  ;D.
Bill

SPIKER

On my place only 22 acres but I can see anywhere between 3 and 15 deer at a time.   The dang things are like rats up here in Ashland county (northern center of Ohio) and too many for real.   Most of the heard seems to really enjoy city life living in peoples back yards eating prized plantings  :D   Anyhow my nephew missed a 10+ point on my place this AM & his buddy missed a big doe in my back yard.   Shot knocked some fur off but no blood so hopefully she will be OK to live on.   She jumped fence and ran off full bore non stop maybe the Amish boys out back will take her or the buck whom so happily tore up two of my cherry Trees this past month! >:( >:(   More of a pest around here for sure.   Mary's hubby (lives out front of my place) 2 weeks back hit what she said was a 14 point at end of my driveway.   He was only going about 20mph, deer stuck he head down like fighting another deer.   He tore 6 holes thru the hood of their $35K 2011 VW, mashed up fender, windshield and pass door.   snorted and jumped over hood and casually walked the wash and crossed next street down.   They followed it for 1/2 mile till it got too dark it seems fine no limping & didn't even think to lay down.   Damages over 5K to the VW... :o

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

coxy

Quote from: SPIKER on December 07, 2013, 12:41:30 PM
On my place only 22 acres but I can see anywhere between 3 and 15 deer at a time.   The dang things are like rats up here in Ashland county (northern center of Ohio) and too many for real.   Most of the heard seems to really enjoy city life living in peoples back yards eating prized plantings  :D   Anyhow my nephew missed a 10+ point on my place this AM & his buddy missed a big doe in my back yard.   Shot knocked some fur off but no blood so hopefully she will be OK to live on.   She jumped fence and ran off full bore non stop maybe the Amish boys out back will take her or the buck whom so happily tore up two of my cherry Trees this past month! >:( >:(   More of a pest around here for sure.   Mary's hubby (lives out front of my place) 2 weeks back hit what she said was a 14 point at end of my driveway.   He was only going about 20mph, deer stuck he head down like fighting another deer.   He tore 6 holes thru the hood of their $35K 2011 VW, mashed up fender, windshield and pass door.   snorted and jumped over hood and casually walked the wash and crossed next street down.   They followed it for 1/2 mile till it got too dark it seems fine no limping & didn't even think to lay down.   Damages over 5K to the VW... :o

Mark
beef is cheaper then that deer  :) the sad part is its still walking smiley_furious

Al_Smith

I drive to work the same way ,every day .I doubt if more than two -three weeks go by that I don't see a deer that got creamed by a vehicle .

This part of Ohio has some dandies too .Lots of food ,good old Ohio corn and soy beans.Deer ,turkeys and corn fed girls,can't beat it .  ;D

m wood

autocar;  I have worked a dozen years with disabled adults.  Tell me a little more about taking "hand-cap fellows" hunting on opening of shotgun season.  I have long thought about making that offer and building accomodations (such as ramps and pill-box blinds and stands) to do this same thing.  For me there would surely be "state involvement" to ensure there protected rights, enhanced safety, accessability, etc...

PM me or starting a new thread could even be interesting. 
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

SAW MILLER

I am in Hocking county and the deer hunting has gotten a lot tougher the last two years .Everyone I talk to has the same report .
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

Al_Smith

You're down yonder where the terrain almost resembles West by golly Va .

Since deer season came in they have had about as good of luck here in the flat lands as they always have .I've seen a few on the move in the wee hours when I go to work between 5 and 6 AM .

Now the big birds,turkeys are another thing .Just yesterday,snow covered roads .There stands a flock of them congregating in the middle of the road like a bunch of women waiting for a store to open on a big sale day .Not a care in the world just turkeys being turkeys

Thank You Sponsors!