iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clark 667 won't start

Started by whitechief, August 09, 2017, 08:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitechief

I have a chance to buy a Clark 667 skidder but the owner says it won't start.He said it ran fine until the starter gave out.His son-in-law replaced the starter with a brand new 12v starter but the owner said it should be 24v.It did start once but after that nothing.Is the starter the problem or should I be looking for something else?

treeslayer2003

basics man. its no different than any thing else. having said that, the old ones at least had a starter switch. check that, check the botton and any other connections. none of mine are 24v........you didn't say what engine.

woodmaker

If they truly want to sell it, I would think that the price of a rebuilt starter,or a good used starter,would prove that it runs well,if truly there is nothing else wrong with it. If they don't want to pay for a starter,I would have to buy it really cheap to make the risk worth while.  Been there,done that
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

mike_belben

You can probably put 24v thru the 12v starter they bought a few times.  I used to have a hare scramble quad with another battery in series on the starter wire.  Whole system was 12v but the lazy starter alone got 24 each time.  Had to charge the second battery itself but the starter never failed.  Hundreds of fast starts.
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

And another thing.. Equipment starters are quite robust.. I been inside many and for every "bad starter" or alternator for that matter.. 10 of them arent the culprit.  Its wiring, solenoids, loss of continuity, bad grounds etc.

A starter is nothing.. Its the bad torque convertor or hydroshift or swing gear that the dead engine is hiding one really need worry about.    Unless you have spare time and money (ha!) Its best to get it running while they own it and verify all the other systems, even if you hafta pay more. 

Doesnt hurt to negotiate a labor rate for repairing it in the event you do not buy. 
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!