iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling my T&G flooring and Molding

Started by Coffee_Creek, September 05, 2018, 09:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coffee_Creek

My wife and I was working and living on the road working construction for a major company and decided we needed a place to call home when we retired, we bought a 45 acre hobby farm with a small house that had been pieced together over the years, we knew that when we retired we would build a new house on it, this was in 2011, fast forward to early 2016, I retired and started harvesting trees because I knew I wanted to mill all of our hardwood flooring and molding for the new house, as I was cutting the trees that I wanted cut I was hauling them to a sawmill just a few miles down the road, after months of cutting trees, hauling logs, hauling lumber back and stacking in the barn to air dry, I was ready to start making molding except for one thing, I needed the wood kiln dried so I built a solar kiln and I needed a machine to mill the wood so I purchased the Woodmaster 725 with the theww sided attachment, I am now starting to plane/mill the lumber as it dries, 
in this thread I'll record my process of making and installing all the T&G flooring and molding such as crown, baseboard, window and door trim,
I'll be learning sa I go so any help, advise or suggestions from you guy's will be greatly appreciated.

It may be a days or even weeks between updating due to each step of the process taking some time.

Just starting to plane the lumber down to 3/4"

Rough lumber going in

Smooth lumber coming out, each board requires an average of six passes...

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Southside

You may want to consider having an infeed and outfeed table of some sort to support your lumber, it will reduce snipe and make it easier to keep a continuous feed into your planer. I have 14' of rollers on both ends of my machines. Gives you plenty of time to work both sides when running alone.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Coffee_Creek

very little snipe, The Woodmaster has fairly large infeed and outfeed tables with a slight tilt to them to help with snipe,  I set up infeed and outfeed roller tables originally but the bending forward to place and remove the boards was tough on my back so, I went with just a single roller stand on each side spaced about eight feet from planner, this allows me to be right next to the boards and not require bending over just reaching down, much easier on my back this way.

E-Tex

Good luck with the T&G flooring project CC.  I've enjoyed your Kiln-Build thread and will be watching this one as well.  Post all the pics you can.  food1
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

Crossroads

Sounds fun, I look forward to seeing more of your posts 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

DDW_OR

following
thinking of T&G floors and walls for my 30x24 wood shop
"let the machines do the work"

rjwoelk

This is something that will be on my list to do as well. Looking forward to your adventure.
Do you rip to size first or plan first?
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

DDW_OR

my 2 cents
if you are using same-width-boards then rip first then plane
if using random width then plane first

samandothers

Thanks for taking time to share this!  i look forward to the read and learning.

BTW the Woodmaster is really good!  I notice the board had a knot and more sap wood going in but came out with no know and more heart wood color! ;D 

Coffee_Creek

all of my wood is different widths, I tried ripping first using the gang ripper on the woodmaster but it didn't like the different thickness so I'm planning for thickness first then I'll gang rip. 
The board coming out is not the same board that's going in.
All of the lumber looks different prior to planning because I sprayed all my wood with Tim-Bor as I was stacking in the barn, it leaves a slight white powdery look to it.
I agree, the woodmaster is a really nice machine but, I wouldn't want to try mass hardwood floor production with it, it does beat the heck out of doing it with router.....

rjwoelk

So what is your yield like from tree to finished flooring. 
Eq.  1000 bf of logs will yield x linear ft of flooring.
I understand it all depends on the logs. But just on average.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Coffee_Creek

Coffee_Creek

one issue I needed to take care of was wrapping the steel beam running through our living area with wood, i have several 16" wide rough sawn 1" thick, I planed them down to 1/2" to reduce the weight and used them to wrap the metal beam.....

The short beams in the pic are soild.

We also added a solid beam in the master bath. Man this was a bear to raise and set in place....

Magicman

I had a steel beam to wrap on my Cabin Addition

I failed to get really good pictures but the steel beam is shown above.

For the bottom board I laminated seven 1"X1" strips together and then planed it down to ¾".  This manufactured board was then captured between two side boards forming a "U" that covered the beam.  The bottom board gives the illusion of the entire beam being laminated.

The Addition ceiling on the left is Pickled (white washed) T&G Ash.

Pickled T&G SYP for wall paneling.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Coffee_Creek

I read your entire post on your cabin build, nice job.

Magicman

I understand.  Often times when I link to that topic I too get caught up in it and will read many pages.  :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DDW_OR

FYI, shine a lazer into a glass door knob.

Coffee_Creek

yesterday I planed lumber most of the day but, we did manage to make some progress wrapping the steel beam and get the fireplace completed.
We still need to cover the bottom of the beam.....

DDW_OR

I saw this where i purchased my TK-2000
could use two sides to wrap a corner

Coffee_Creek

Coffee_Creek

I'll try and recap from the start so maybe this thread won't be confusing.
This is how the house looked when we bought it in 2011.....

Coffee_Creek

enclosed the carport a few years ago....

that 

k

forrestM

Coffee_Creek

Thank You Sponsors!