iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mill ownership

Started by Neil_B, April 11, 2003, 03:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil_B

Did you guys receive an ownership with your mills so you could plate it for portable work? I was supposed to receive one with mine but still haven't to date. Been 2 months since I got the mill.
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

biziedizie

The serial # on the motor is all that you need in Canada to register and plate your mill. If you change motors you have to re-register your mill. Now that's what I.C.B.C. told me but I would check with the locals in Ont. We register our sleds the same way aswell and come to think of it my boat was done the same way to.

Steve

Minnesota_boy

Woodmizer sent the paperwork along, but I couldn't register my mill.  It seems that Minnesota classes sawmills the same as manure spreaders, at least that was how the lady at the license center explained it.  No license required or allowed.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Neil_B

I'll have to check that out Steve. I had paperwork but the offices here couldn't do anything with it so I sent it back to BC. Yeah, that's something else HE was supposed to take care of.
M_B, I hope that's not a comparison to WM.
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

Minnesota_boy

I don't think that is any comparison at all, as it applies to all sawmills, not just the orange ones. :D

ohsoloco

After talking to several people at PennDOT, I still didn't have an answer to whether or not I had to license my mill here in PA.  I called another portable sawyer not too far from me, and he told me (at least for PA) that if the mill was not given a VIN#, then you didn't have to get it licensed...he said that WoodMizer put VIN#'s on their mills (I don't know if this is true or not).   So I haven't had mine tagged...and have yet to get pulled over  ::)

Minnesota_boy

The highway patrol probably doiesn't know either, so thy're playing it safe.  If you get pulled over for speeding or something, then they will find out. :o

ohsoloco

I'm usually too tired to speed at the end of a full day of sawing  ;)

Minnesota_boy

Jeff

In Michigan You don't have to plate a designated tool trailer, the woods guys don't have to plate the slasher trucks or total tree chippers. My guess is the portable mills are waived too. I'll have to do some checking.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

AtLast

I contacted the Sec of state here in Mich and asked the same question...funny thing is...they didnt know :D soooo I ask if it was considered a piece of farm equiptmet did it have to...she said no...our chipper and stumper are NOT required to have plates here ALTHOUGH MOST do get them...mostly to keep the state boys form pulling them over....I figured once I get my mill Ill not plates on  it UNTIL I get pulled over ( not for speeding) and run it by the officer ;D...once that happens Ill post the experience... :D

AtLast

;D OPPS..I didnt see Jeff B's post soooooooo Ill let him do further checking....Thanks Jeff... ;D

Jeff

My way of checking will be to ask a couple of mill owners. Hey, your members map tree is not on Livonia!? Its more like Wolverine.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

biziedizie

You guys are very lucky! Here in B.C if I was to plate the mill it would cost me $1200.00 per year!! That's more then it costs to plate my van to pull the thing. :D
  Sure am glad that I don't have wheels!

Steve

ohsoloco

$1200 a year  :o   How much is vehicle registration?  My truck is registered as a 3/4 ton, and that only runs $85 a year, and my 7000lb. trailer is only $12 a year

AtLast is waaay off, Livonia is in central PA   :D

biziedizie

Registration is included in the price of insurance, do you still have to insure your truck on top of the 85?
  My buddy Gord has a new truck and he pays $4200.00 a year! Now that's a killer!

Steve

ohsoloco

I pay an additional $500 a year for full coverage  ;D

dewwood

I can't say about other states or provinces but in Indiana the plates are for the trailer only.  I told the BMV when I got my plates that the only part of the mill that was considered a trailer were the axle and tongue which bolt on.  I received a title and plates for the trailer portion of the mill.  If I would have said the whole mill was being plated I would have had to pay sales tax on the entire purchase price of the mill.  There is a big difference between 6% of $300 or $400 and 6% of $30,000 or $40,000.  Its worth checking into.

The liability insurance for the mill is covered by the tow vehicles insurance the same as any other trailer.  This is just for driving purposes not for liability on and around the mill when you are sawing.

Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

ElectricAl

Here in Iowa, we have to register and plate the "trailer", cost is $10. The "power equipment" bolted to the "trailer" is exempt. 8)

Insurance for the trailer comes from the pull vehicle, and insurance is required on all motorized vehicles.

Our 1993 LT40HD has been stationary for 7 years, pulled the axle out and stored it, but have a current plate on the saw just in case.

You never know when some guy  might have 100K' of logs next to a pole with 3 phase ;D
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Tom

I registered my mills, got a title and tag andpaid sales tax.   Had to do it for the entire cost of the mills.  Florida found out about the portable mills coming into the state and contacted us. Now you talk about an eye opener!  We were threatened with audits if we didn't immediately tend to the matter.  They had all the numbers.  Seems that the manufacturers had applied to do business in Florida and had to have an audit to do it.  Florida found a lot of names in the manufacturers files and we all got letters.  I paid big bucks for two mills.

My tag is for the unit though.  If I didn't buy a tag every year I would be responsible for tangible taxes for the mills. That's expensive.  I had those laid on me for tractors for about 3 years and don't want to do that again. That was applied at a millage rate that was costing me about $800-$1200 per tractor.

biziedizie

This is a very interesting thread seeing what we all pay. Makes me want to move.  :D

Steve

Tillaway

You won't want to move here.  License for my pickup is $32 dollars.  Vehicle license fee is $388 last year.  Next the VLF will be about $1164.  The are trying to make up for part of the 34 billion dollar (that right billion) deficit the state has by tripling the VLF.  California already had the highest license fees in the nation, now the are going to triple them.  Also the cost to operate a business here is 34% higher than anywhere else in the nation.

If it has wheels it will be taxed and licensed here, including bicycles in some localities.  The county tax assesor says they can charge property tax on your lawn mower if they feel so inclined to do so.  Even the ATV I haul around at work needs a license.  It doesn't if it stays on private property, but it needs one to be hauled down the highway in the back of my pickup.

I think they are even trying to figure out a way to tax your e-mail here, you think I'm kidding don't you. :(
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Neil_B

Weekend_Sawyer

My mill trailer is part of the mill. In maryland this type of towable equipment does not need to be tagged. I printed out that part of maryland vehicle law and keep it in my glove box.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

isawlogs

here in Québec...the mill is plated but only as a trailer if I remember it was 57.00 CD$ this is paid once and is good as long you are owner insurance is towing vehicule I havr comercal liability on mine wich cost 1800.& change a year the towing vehicule is a dodge 250 4x4 diesel with comercal plates 380.$ renewal march 31 of every year.
     there must have been a class I mist out of when I went to school (not that I went very long now) that one was taxing 101 must only have been given to politician 101 cause I do think that they are all the same no matter where you live they want more and more of our money....$$$$$$...And allowing less for us to do without a d**m permit wich you guest it cost $$$$...
Oh ya I forgot the d**m permit for the mill 58.$ a year
ok this anough I'm getting upset just thjnking of all the BS that we need to go through just to be able to have some fun making a little sawdust...And all this for a small operator I would hate to know what a large one would go through.....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!