iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidder or Tractor

Started by terry f, December 18, 2011, 02:52:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terry f

Thinking about getting one or the other. What I need to do I could get by with a small 4WD tractor, but for half the price I could get a retired skidder. How much life could you expect on one that is running and seems in good shape? I'm talking about sending it to the old foiks home where it will probably run less than 100hrs a year of light duty. Some of the prices I've seen are not much more than scrap or parts, and less than a atv. The tractor I would have to trailer home as my place is somewhat remote, but the skidder I would just leave there.

thecfarm

I could use both a skidder and a tractor,but I would not want just a skidder for what I do around here with it. I use the loader on the tractor alot. Right now I'm hauling away a stone wall with it. I dig dirt up in one area and move it to fill up rocks holes are to level a place out.A tractor leaves a much smaller foot print in the woods,but a skidder is safer and made to work in the works. With an older skidder you will have break downs too. A skidder will make faster work of getting the wood out,less trips to be made.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JDeere

I have both a skidder and a tractor with a winch and that is a tough call. If you are only cutting for your own use and enjoyment, I would probably go with the tractor. As the cfarm said, there is a lot you can (and will) do with it beyond skidding wood. Don't just let the initial cost determine what you do. Tractors are relatively cheap to run and maintain whereas a skidder can become very expensive very fast if you have a major breakdown. Production wise there is no comparison, as the skidder will pull circles around the tractor. Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you decide.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

WH_Conley

thecfarm covers it pretty good. I use my tractor and loader every day I do anything. I winch logs with it, handle pallets, around mill and on the farm. I would like to have a skidder to. You would have to look at which one you would use the most.

I don't know your neighborhood, might give vandals a thought before leaving machinery any place.
Bill

Peter Drouin

the loging I do is on my own land, and im never in a hurry :D :D I have made roads here and there on it. A skidder would be faster but I like my JD , with the walasten 1200 it will pull any tree I want :D :D or 2. but I don;t want break it so I go lite and often

and the cab is nice you just cant go crazy like you do with a skidder :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Ironwood

Not sure what I envy more the tractor or the shed!

Nice, Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

terry f

Thanks for the replys. This might be a stupid question, but is it possible or have seen a snowblower mounted on a skidder? Nice setup Peter, but way out of my price range. I agree on the shed.

Ironwood

You would likely need to drive the blower by hydrauli,c which does rob some HP. But that said it should work, most skidders should be 45-100HP.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Maine372

ive never seen a skidder with a snowblower but lots of guys have found a way to hook up old state plows to  push roads open. some sort of temporary mount like the snow pushers they use on parking lots.

gspren

Many years ago near Patton, Maine I saw a huge snowblower with a 4 cyl Wisconson engine on it that was mounted on a skidder. I didn't see it in action but it looked impressive.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

redneck

I can't stop looking at that shed nice job!!
208 timberjack 353 detroit, case 580 super K backhoe, homemade bandmill, 357xp, 372xpg

Holmes

Quote from: redneck on December 19, 2011, 04:06:52 PM
I can't stop looking at that shed nice job!!

I think his saw mill is on the other side of the tractor. That is a very nice shed.
Think like a farmer.

grassfed

I farm and I have 4 tractors and a 501 farmi. For logging I have two skidders (one for parts/backup). I hate running my tractors in the woods! I have a 100 hp SAME tiger that would probably out pull my 440B in a contest but it gets too beat up in the woods and it does not turn as well. I might be the problem or maybe it is my rocky woods but it is hard on the tractors. I think that Peter might be able handle that JD in the woods, but if it was me that beautiful Deere would be a pile of junk in a week.   
Mike

chevytaHOE5674

If you want a machine that was designed to pull wood then no tractor can compare to a skidder. Skidders are designed to be used and abused in the woods and keep on ticking.  They have the tires and underbody protection to handle constant use in the woods.

If you want a machine that can do hundreds of tasks from brush hogging, FEL work, plowing, discing, as well as pull some wood then a tractor is a good alternative. You have to be more careful with them as they just aren't designed to be worked in the woods constantly. But they will get the wood out if your not interested in all out production.

Peter Drouin

My sawmill is on the other side  holmes:D :D   

and grassfed I am real carefull with JD :D :D :D cost to much :D :D                   
A&P saw Mill LLC.

mad murdock

I have used tractors, cats(dozers, and skidders in the woods.  I would take a skidder any day over any of the above, as it can handle the abuse, even if you take it easy, you will ding up a tractor sometime, it will just happen.  A used skidder would be my choice, especially if you are talking about 100 hrs a year in the woods.  Don't sound like much but it will be the difference between joy and misery for every hour you put in on the machine, IMO.  I use mine for pushing dirt and snow as well as pushing logs up into a nice deck, and even moving logs around with the blade and a chain. (grab hooks welded to the blade in strategic locations are REAL handy).  The winch on the skidder can be used in many ways, especially if you have a snatch block some extra cable and chain, etc.  (though you can do this with a tractor winch too.) If your terrain is at all hilly, the skidder will be more stable on uneven ground as well.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Peter Drouin

your right madmurdock and with a skidder you don;t have to worry about the winch being ripped off the 3 pont hich :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Side loader

Excellent advice and I too like the shed.  Been tractor logging for a couple of years now and today brought home a jd540d grapple skidder.  We have managed to break 2 valve stems had a flat on a rear tire, broke the center link not to mention the Broke fender, blinker ect. All in the past month or so  We've been moving about 50 tons a day with a 50 horse Kubota. It will work, BUT a tractor will be abused and a skidder should not, as a forestry machine is it's designed purpose. My advice would be if you are truly "pitle logging" then a tractor might work. But a skidder is by far the most logical choice for moving a greater volume of wood. Hope it works out for ya.
Side loader log truck w/492 Detroit, bell super T feller buncher, Barko 160 with JD power, Kubota M4900 with brush raker grapple on front and shop built bunching grapple on back. JD 350B Dozer; JD 548D skidder;  and a couple of saws.

Piston

I'm surprised more people don't use/recommend the Kioti Payeur forester?  I think that would be my ideal smalltime logging setup, however I have no experience on them and have never seen one in person. 

I believe I would prefer a front end loader with grapple attachment for the woods over the small straight blade it comes with though. 

I think Woodmills has one of these, or had one? 

Peter,
Please stop posting pictures of that shed/mill/tractor setup you have.  It's just cruel  ;D ;D ;D  Your driving me crazy!   :D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

thecfarm

What I'm more surprised is Peter has not broken the glass out of that tractor. That tractor should pull some wood.I only have a 40hp and can go good with that,but looks to be 50 or 60hp?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

It;s a 81 hp . and yes I did brake the back one . JD wants 300.oo for a new one :o :o. so I made one out of plxaglass works good :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Stephen Alford

Hey Terry , in my case the tractor has been great for cash flow and urban work. The skidder has the clearance and snork. Thought I might share a couple of pics.  The tractor has been used for thinning work where the trees are felled by hand ,winched then bucked. Removal is with the grapple to limit damage to the residuals.

The skidder is used to make a landing

The road is cut full tree and the tops put in a bullpen

The trees harvested are storm damaged

The twitch is cut and hauled out

Got to watch for widow makers

Then out to the landing

Get ol Petie loaded

And call her a day  :)

logon

Piston

Stephen,

You make it sound pretty simple....  ;D ;D ;D ;D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

bill m

Here are a couple of pictures of the equipment I use.

I think I am one of the few people using a tractor full time-year round in the woods logging.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Tim L

Do the best you can and don't look back

Thank You Sponsors!