iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clutchy no worky

Started by Brad_bb, March 15, 2019, 10:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Started the day on the LT15.  Last cut on the first log and suddenly my clutch wouldn't engage.  The lever was totally loose.  I studied it for a bit praying the handle shaft hadn't snapped or something like that.  I finally figure out that the spring pin hold the handle shaft to the linkage bracket had sheared.  Just enough cycles I guess had caused the spring pin to give up.  It was kinda tricky getting the broken pin out.  It was difficult getting a hammer in there to strike my punch.  Then a trip to the hardware store.  Reassembling it was even harder as you cannot see the hole in the shaft and have to start the pin in the bracket and then kinda guesstimate when you're about lined up and drive the new pin in.  Luckily she found the hole and I was back in business after readjusting the cam over link.  It knocked 2 hours out of my 6 hour milling day.  I manged to finish that one 12ft 8x8 walnut beam, and then 4 small Walnut crotches milled 9/4.  Got all our bark and dust from previous day and today burned up in the vortex burn barrels.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Woodpecker52

Same thing happened on my LT 15 start, was a bogger bear to get the new pin in.  I had a problem with the key on my engine pulley slipping out of the key way even though bolts were tight.  used some silicone at the end and in the key way and that has fixed that problem.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Southside

Aww come on - the design looked GREAT on a CAD mock up!!   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Brad_bb

I've got about 300 hours on the mill.  I'm estimating because I didn't have an hour meter on my mill until i installed one about 39 hours ago.  I estimate that I had about 260 hours on it when I installed it.  I did buy an extra pin, just in case.

GAB

If the Engineers and Designers had to assemble the first 10 of anything they design it would be quite an education for them.  Would probably go a long way towards better product designs as far as maintenance goes.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Darrel

Anymore, most engineers have only one goal in mind when they design something. Get the product out the door and sold so that they can get paid. (So far I've not noticed this applying to engineers for most sawmills)  But the very idea of having to remove the front tire and the cowling inside the fender just to change a headlight is a fine example of where engineers keep their heads. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Brad_bb

You've got it wrong, it's not the engineers....it's the engineers managers/bosses.  They're the ones demanding it get done and out the door (ahead of schedule so the manager looks good, then that compresses schedule becomes the norm from then on, until they need it done even quicker to look good...meanwhile the engineers reward for sacrificing and making bosses look good - no raise or a pittance and pressured to do even more in less time,  while the butt kisser who's never gone above and beyond gets promoted).  This coming from a product design engineer no longer working for THOSE people.   The engineer would like to take the time to make it the best, but they usually don't have that option.

WV Sawmiller

Brad,

Reminds me of the 6 phases to any major project:

1. Enthusiasm
2. Disillusionment 
3. Panic
4. Search for the guilty
5. Punishment of the innocent
6. Rewards for the non-participants
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Crossroads

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 18, 2019, 09:25:00 AM
Brad,

Reminds me of the 6 phases to any major project:

1. Enthusiasm
2. Disillusionment
3. Panic
4. Search for the guilty
5. Punishment of the innocent
6. Rewards for the non-participants
How true that is lol
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Thank You Sponsors!