iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Nose knows

Started by SW_IOWA_SAWYER, May 22, 2006, 03:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SW_IOWA_SAWYER

I am still working on my log pile that the loggers left. I cut some oak on Friday and here is how my day went:

Show up at site set up saw.
Use chain saw to cut off limb on log on saw. Threw blade (forgot blade wrench)
Crank up log on ramps winch hande slipped logged rolled back down ramp winch handle breaks
TEMP HITS 90
Bees hanging around causing no real problems UNTIL one decides I have a attitude that needs adjusting so he/she lets me have it.
TEMP hits 185 in the shade or so it seemed
GAVE UP AND WENT HOME

However I did notice as I was stacking (seems like that is all I ever do)  the oak had a funny smell to it not a bad smell kind of a sweet smell I almost thought like grapes would smell like.

I am guessing it some sort of chemical process from the logs sitting around but it wasn't bad I just wondered if anyone had noticed it when they cut oak.

I think I have one more day left in me at this log pile and then I am done! I want to cut some 6/4 quartersawn red oak for a table that I would like to make someday and maybe some 2" walnut for the carvers to make bases out of.

All in All it was a lot of work but looking at the stacks of walnut and oak I am glad I made the effort. ;)

I owe I owe so its off to work I go....

Tom

Grapes!   I wish my oak smelled like grapes.   I don't notice much of a bad odor 'cause my nose doesn't work about half the time.  But, when I cut oak, my wife has me undress out in the yard.  She says it stinks.  :D

jackpine

I ground out a bur oak stump in my yard Sat. from a tree cut two years ago. It had never tried to regrow like all the others,which suprised me.

The chips had a sweet smell, almost like corn silage and were warm to the touch. What really suprised me though was wherever the chips laid they killed the grass. I only left the chips on the grass for 4 hours. It almost seemed like the oak was fermenting.

Could be the same as your sweet smelling oak?

Bill

low_48

Cheez Tom, are the neighbors complaining about you cutting oak now? :o If I started undressing in the yard I'm afraid that the property values would go down along with my pants. :D

As they always say,"Every neighborhood has one" In my neighborhood, I'm him!!! ;)

Tom

That's the beauty of living in the swamp.  If anybody is within a quarter of a mile of this place, besides me and my wife, they are either lost or looking for trouble.  ;D

Gary_C

Tom

Maybe that is why that coon keeps coming around. You must smell good to him.   :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Tom

I hadn't thought of that.  Perhaps I should think of bottling and selling Oak Elixer. :)

Gary_C

Yes, but you will have trouble getting any help with the collection and bottling.   smiley_airfreshener

And, I could then sell you the formula for skunk deodorizer.  8)

Tom

Skunk deodorizer doesn't work on Coons. :-\

Gary_C

Skunk deodorizer will work on coons, dogs, cats, and people too.  ;D

Actually I can't sell it to you because it will blow up if I try to bottle it.

Just look up "thiols" in your Funk & Wagnals Dictionary, or do a search. 

Deodorize Skunk Spray

Ordinary laundry bleach (sodium hypochlorite) will work too, but it is hard on people or animals and may make your hair change color. No it will not get darker.  ;D

Percy

Quote from: SW_IOWA_SAWYER on May 22, 2006, 03:01:58 PM

I am still working on my log pile that the loggers left. I cut some oak on Friday and here is how my day went:

Show up at site set up saw.
Use chain saw to cut off limb on log on saw. Threw blade (forgot blade wrench)
Crank up log on ramps winch hande slipped logged rolled back down ramp winch handle breaks
TEMP HITS 90
Bees hanging around causing no real problems UNTIL one decides I have a attitude that needs adjusting so he/she lets me have it.
TEMP hits 185 in the shade or so it seemed
GAVE UP AND WENT HOME

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

getoverit

I know what y'all are talking about now :(

I milled up a BUNCH of oak this week, and finally got around to sawing some of the logs that had end sealer on them. I guess the water in the logs fermints or something when the ends are sealed, because it smelled just like somebody puked when I cut them. The logs I just got earlier in the week had not been end sealed, and didnt have any offensive odor, but PPPPPP UUUUUU the ones that had been there a while were real stinkers. :(
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Don P

I read the link on skunk spray. The part about going into nose overload brought back a memory.
We were camped on a job and were getting ready to bed down for the night. There was a terrible fracas outside and my wife jumped out to see what the matter was. Just in time to see the tail swing up and a blast delivered. She got the dog and came inside saying "I think he missed". Hands over my mouth and choking back a eye burning gag I had to allow that it seemed he had made a direct hit. He missed her thank goodness, but she had gotten enough wicked bad blow by to shut her nose down. She was unable to detect skunk for several years and even now will comment on a road kill a half a mile after I've been smelling it, and my nose is about shot. That's some powerful perfume.

I've not noticed a sweet smell from oak, cat pee yes, but thats a whole nuther eye burner. Somewhere I've read that the french white oak logs for wine barrels is left on the ground till it develops a slight vanilla odor  ???.

Thank You Sponsors!