iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

think i might have damaged my load of QSRO, what do you think?

Started by Kelvin, March 09, 2010, 08:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Howdy all,
Well i set my Nyle kiln at the conservative setting for my green QSRO load, and turned it on.  For some reason my life got hectic and i couldn't get around to oven drying my samples and getting things checked to see how my drying was going.  Well after 4 days i checked and the lumber samples were surface checked badly already and my samples were down to 30% MC from 61% start so i lost 29% in 4 days or roughly 7% per day instead of my target of 3%. 

Man my kiln must have been leaking the moisture out as it was at 90 degrees and 20%compressor cycle, which i thought was hardly anything.  I turned off the compressor when i discovered what was happening and now with the compressor off the samples are loosing 3% MC per day just through the leaky chamber.  though i checked the main stack and its nowhere near as dry as my samples.  I think they were more in direct wind area, so dried much faster.  I'm still very worried about surface checking in my main stack, i can't see much, but they say you can't see all the damage that might have occured until you get till final MC range and they open up.  I can't see the surfaces very well either, but i'll cross my fingers.

My samples are now about 5 days older than when i stopped the compressor and read 20%MC.  I cut new samples however from some bigger pieces i had left over from the samples and they are reading 32% MC.  I end coated the sample pieces so i don't know why there is such a difference in the dry rate on the samples, but man this is not an easy thing to do with oak.  I really need this stuff to turn out as i don't have the time or the money to wreck 800 bd ft that i'm using for a project i promised and is waiting on me.  I guess i can't tell how dry the main stack really is, i hope the samples are out of whack and its not that dry really.  Sweating bullets!
KP

Kansas

Long as what your drying is 1" lumber, even with a leaky kiln you should be fine. 90 isn't that warm. I'm actually suprised you don't have water standing in the kiln. I would think the humidity of the kiln would be high.

DR Buck

I use the Wood-Mizer controller (DH4000) on my Nyle and don't set compressor run time.   I just set RH and let it go.     

I think the most important thing you can do is get the chamber air tight.   If you can't control a stable RH you're headed for trouble.    I lost the bottom gasket off one of my doors and didn't realize it until I ran into a way to rapid drop in RH.   Luckily I found the issues before I damaged the 1800 bf load of Walnut.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

jim king

Take a peice out and plane it.  It will either make ypu feel better or worse to know but at least you will know.

OneWithWood

Let me echo what DR said.

When you are finished with this charge take the time to totally seal your chamber.  You cannot control the variables in a leaky chamber well enough to assure quality.

How long did the stack sit from the time it came off the mill until you fired up the kiln?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Kansas

I just can't see damage at 90 degrees, set at 20% on the compressor.  The only way I could imagine is if you had a very high volume of air moving, coupled with not just a leaky kiln, but a well ventilated one. Not with 4/4 lumber.
Now, if its 8/4, thats a whole different story.

Kelvin

Howdy all,
Yeah, i was hoping i couldn't wreck the 4/4 but the samples have me worried.  Has anyone had oak dry at over 7% MC per day?  I wonder if its easier to wreck it from 60-40%MC or 40-30%MC?  The lumber is still over 30% MC so i don't think i will see the damage until its down to 7%.

petefrom bearswamp

Hey Kelvin, Off the subject, but I have often wondered, where did you get that nice bullfrog?
pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!