iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shipping Container Kiln

Started by Water Dogs, August 21, 2018, 06:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Water Dogs

Greetings all , I was trying to get some ideas for a kiln ? Thinking on a   shipping container 20ft or 40ft with a dehumidifier not sure if 20 would have much room ? This will be my first option $ does set the stage . I know few on the fourm has some style of this set up ? I'm not not planing on drying large amounts lumber at this time . Still a little green on this site . Thank for any ideas .        Water Dogs 

No_Dude

Howdy Waterdogs. I know that there are several threads already about them. To summarize them, you may have rusting issues, some woods are very hard on non-stainless kilns, you can do a dehumidifier, you'll also need fans, and heat will help the wood let go of its water. To keep your energy costs down you'll want to have insulation as well. How much wood are you looking to dry? It sounds like a solar kiln may be a better option for you.

Southside

You want to find a retired refrigerated shipping container for your build, stainless interior, aluminum floor and exterior, perfect door seals.  They cost more than a regular conex, but it is already insulated and the floor won't rot on you nor will you have to address protective sheeting on the interior.  I built mine out of a 40' unit as they were not a whole lot more than a 20'.  That being said I do have 6 fans in it for proper airflow, so costs do add up, but she will run 1500 bf of stump green pine or 4000 ft of air dry pine or green oak so the capacity makes up for the up front cost.  

Are you looking to home brew the dehumidifier or go with a Nyle system? Member @YellowHammer  has a great step by step post on here about his build and it served as a blue print for mine.  

I will say that like anything else in this business having the right piece of equipment for the job makes all the difference in the world on the outcome of the final product.  I had zero kiln experience before I built mine and the learning curve, mostly due to help here on the Forum, was pretty quick and successful.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Water Dogs

Thank you both on your repliy. The R value is a conser. The 20' would be easer to move but not sure the Nile unit would fit plus door access and cut vents? I'm not in a hurry but looking all options. I might cut most all material for the chamber but labor and fabrication would take some time. I did see yellowhamers solar kiln and the control of the DH is best automation. I will not be there all the time. Thanks for all the help l'm still in the research phase. 

Crusarius

could always look for a box truck reefer box or even a semi trailer reefer. May give you more options on size. Also much easier to get delivered. Then remove running gear and drop it where you want it.

I have no idea if they be better shape than containers or cheaper. Be great to know for sure.

Water Dogs

Thank you Crusarius for your input. That was a concept that I have not thought of about old ref with wheels that might installed at ground level. I did read YH old thread he is a very wise member and I glad he lives my area. I have plans to vist he's operation at some time . I'm just trying to learn , thanks all for the support and ideas this fourm has provided.

farmfromkansas

I paid 3250 for a 48' reefer trailer, and the seller delivered it, removed the chassis, and set it on my prestressed panels. It has fiberglass panels on the inside, aluminum floor, and about 3" of insulation. The seller removed the refer unit from the front, so I have a hole to build in.  Trying to figure out if I need  a small window in the front so I can see what is happening in the trailer. Maybe a small door, so it would have more insulation.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

K-Guy

Waterdogs
Nyle has packages for this. In a 20' container we estimate 2500 bf is capacity and 5500 bf for a 40'.

Stan from Nyle
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Water Dogs

Thank you all for the help and good ideas. The 40foot would be ideal but moving or fine tuning might be hard with current tractor plus adding extra R value. Cost and low budget at the current time does set the stage. A entry level kiln for lack of experience for me might be my choice as solar or small chamber fab out wood sawed on my mill. Location is limited because the rollin hills in Tennessee not much flat land on the farm. K Guy we spoke weeks ago on the phone thanks for your input. Sill undesided on my next move. Thanks all on the FF for help sharing you knowlage and experience.  

DR_Buck

The Nyle fits and works fine in a 20 ft container.    I had mine in a 20 box truck for years then recently rebuilt it into a 20 insulated container.    You can fit about 2000 bf in if lumber is sized and stacked properly.  

Here is the thread on my rebuild.

Rebuilding My Kiln in Drying and Processing
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Cruiser_79

Old but very interesting thread, I'm wondering or there are more companies that offer kind of 'DIY' kits like Nyle does. And can you combine a dehumidifier with a heat exchange system powered by solar collectors and if necessary a wood boiler? It would be nice to use 'free' energy like sun and wood waste for heating. 
And what are the prices for a build in system? Is it possible to log data with the systems, so you can show it to customers? 

K-Guy

Greetings Cruiser

So far as I know we at Nyle are the only one with DIY kilns. Solar hot water would be an option but you want the water to be at least 140°F/ 60°C preferably 180°/82°C or better for good heat. You run fin tubes similar to hot water baseboard behind the fans. This has been done by customers who have hot water boilers with success for years.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Cruiser_79

Okay thanks, I should check or we can achieve those high temperatures. It would be in a tropical climate with year round 28-35 degrees celcius, and 12 hours of sunlight a day. 
I'm still checking or a 40 or 45' reefer is an option, or a scandinavian style cool trailer. Something like this;

In scandinavia you'll see these trailers a lot. Would be nice for side loading, so no need for rails etc. 

K-Guy

Cruiser

I wouldn't worry about the heat then. The electric heat in the l200 is to get the temperature over 27°C before you can start the compressor. Then the compressor will throw heat.
Nyle Service Dept.
- D. Adams

Thank You Sponsors!