iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS462 CM in Canada!

Started by HolmenTree, November 04, 2018, 08:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehp

you did not ruffle me at all, the xt is a better saw than the old xp design as far as a work saw . put a 24 inch bar on both and cut the same bigger  hardwood log and the XT will win, biggest thing with the XT is the carb has to set proper to make power , most times the carb is set to lean and yes I said it ,

ehp

ran the new 462 arctic today , first 3 or 4 tanks she was a dog and handle bars did not get very warm but by 4 or so this afternoon it started to come around , another 1000 or so more rpms in the wood and handle bars were better , the arctic 462 has a nice thing saying arctic on clutch cover , . Im hoping tomorrow it comes around a lot more

olcowhand

Ed,
Is the Oiler on the MS 462 (non Arctic) better than the oiler on the MS 461? I don't think my 461 throws enough oil, and I've been contemplating getting the HO Oiler installed on it.
Based on your reviews above, I may just pull the trigger on the MS 462 with a positive report on the oiler..... 
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

ehp

I use good bar oil and have ran up to a 28 inch bar on the first 462 with no problems , Im running a 24 inch on the arctic . Now with out a doubt the arctic cuts more trees per tank than the first one , first saw would cut 5 trees per tank and the arctic will cut 8 of the same trees , Arctic is not broken in yet and I hope it ends up at 5 trees per tank as the first saw is faster , I have cutting white oak which is the hardest on bar oil I find in my area

ehp

462 is ALOT nicer to fall timber with compared to 461

overclocking

Quote from: JJinAK on February 22, 2019, 10:50:55 AM
Not trying to hijack the thread, but has anyone heard anything about when the 462 might hit the US?  I'm really surprised we haven't seen it yet.  And nothing that I can find on the StihlUS website.  It's like the worst kept secret ever....

I really want to take a close look at one when (and if) they do arrive, and possibly swap out for my 461.
My local dealer said they just became available in my area on 2/20. I ordered the first one with the 25inch bar, I wanted the arctic, but he said it wasn't listed for him yet. It should be in on Wednesday or Thursday this week.
Coming from a 372xp I'm a little worried whether or not I am going to like the ergonomics of it. Been running Husqvarna for 20 years now.

overclocking

Quote from: olcowhand on February 26, 2019, 06:03:06 PM
Ed,
Is the Oiler on the MS 462 (non Arctic) better than the oiler on the MS 461? I don't think my 461 throws enough oil, and I've been contemplating getting the HO Oiler installed on it.
Based on your reviews above, I may just pull the trigger on the MS 462 with a positive report on the oiler.....
I can't speak from experience, only research, but there's a pin on the bottom that you pop in and it will allow the 462 oiler to run at max. From the feedback they gave when doing this it was actually too much oil for them.

teakwood

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

ehp

Thanks Teakwood, well today the arctic finally started to make some power , been cutting bigger white oak, maple and walnut . I find saws make no power until you start to see the outer muffler cover start to turn blue and today it turned blue . Also the heated handles are starting to produce heat so engine is turning more rpms in the wood

starmac

It seems odd that the heat goes up with the rpms, is it because it is just making more electricity?
Is there a way to turn the heat off?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

ehp

yes there is a switch to turn off and on, more rpms the more power from the generator to heat the handles , its along ways from what the 461's make heat wise but there totally broken in

RaulP

It reached to the shelves here in Estonia too but...how could I buy it if the 500i is coming soon? 

teakwood

The 500i is too big and heavy for my needs, the 462 it will be for me.

Drew62

The 500i is 0.2kg heavier than the 462-unnoticeable you would think?
A slave to the machines.

HolmenTree

The 500i is credited to have the best power to weight ratio on the market.
It's 13.7 lbs PHO which is incredibly light for a 80 cc saw. Many of the latest 60cc saws share that weight bracket.
6.8 hp/13.7 lb.
0.5 hp/lb. (1.2kg/KW)
That's 1 hp for every 2 lbs.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

ehp

Im very happy with my 462's and to the point I tried falling with one of my 461's the other day and after about 5 trees I was switching back to the 462 arctic . I still cut on the landing with a 461 arctic and they are a great saw . Now in my thought and mind the 461 will out cut the 462 if in bigger hardwood , now I cut 2 hard maple Monday that were over 60 inches on the stump so the 462 will cut big hardwood you just got take your time abit more

teakwood

Quote from: Drew62 on March 07, 2019, 02:23:52 PMThe 500i is 0.2kg heavier than the 462-unnoticeable you would think?

That's true, but as my teaktrees get bigger in diam i need to upgrade the saws, go bigger and bigger. I started with the 260 and now us the 361, which i really like, so that is 0.8kg more. manageable because the 361 has a lot of power more. Now, in a 18" tree the 361 bogs down a little and in the next thinning i will upgrade to a 462 which is 0.4kg more, you see where i'm going with that!?
we work in the 27-35C (80-95F) range in steep slopes, with chainsawpants, measuring tape, hatchet and wedges adding more weight. every gram counts

and those are dry weights, fully tanked they are a lot heavier

JJinAK

Yesterday was the first day where I noticed that the StihlUSA website has updated their product line to include the 462, and they removed the 461.  There is also now a press release.  Still shows no availability on any west coast dealers that I checked, and obviously not in Alaska yet.  But hey, one step closer.....

I was hoping to do a side by side comparison to the 461 before they removed it, but no such luck.  I've heard several mentions of sticker shock, so it will be interesting to see the actual numbers.

JaJ
MS461
MS362

barbender

I was just at a Stihl dealer the other day, a 461 was $1069, which was $240 more than the comparable Huskys. I'm afraid of how much the 462 will be!
Too many irons in the fire

tacks Y

Bought mine last week for 1100 + tax

ehp

I see guys post around $1000 for the 462 in usa coin,

WWright

Hi Guys, I bought mine a month ago it was $900 and change plus tax= around a $1000. The dealer had 4 of them,one of my guys went in there last week they said thats the only one they have sold. I was surprised

Will

tacks Y

So I got hosed again? I am getting a light weight bar with it, back ordered now. And keeping the one on it, both 24". Going to try it this am, have not run it yet.

medved

Boy I wish I could find one of these! I've been following the saga since last year and now I actually need a bigger saw and don't know if I can wait any longer. Out here in WA, my local dealer had never heard of the saw, and had to look it up on the internet while we were chatting. His latest catalog still only has the 461, and he says we typically don't get things for 3-4 months after east coast gets them.

Pretty bummed. I'd prefer not to drop the money on a 461, as I actually like the mtronic and am excited about the weight.

lxskllr

Maybe take a short vacation. Find a place that sells the 462, and has something you want to see, then bring the saw back with you.

Thank You Sponsors!