iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello from Maine

Started by PostandDream, August 31, 2013, 09:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PostandDream

Hello All,

Just registered, but have been lurking for a couple of years.   I found the site looking for a few quick answers about sawmills and soon learned I have dozens more questions I need answered and much learning to do!   For now I'll hold the questions and just say hello, and thanks for the info so far!

Jeff

Magicman

Hello Jeff and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

nk14zp

Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

dgdrls

P&D,

welcome aboard,  best darn place on the web!!

DGDrls

drobertson

Howdy PD,  start sawing and keep your notes!   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

dgdrls

Should have asked earlier
band or circle tickle your fancy??

DGDrls

Skoalbandit78

Welcome Jeff, there is a huge wealth of knowledge on here. But I am one of those who is dirt poor in the knowledge department, but I am working hard to to learn though.

PostandDream

I'm going for a band saw.  Most likely a Wood Mizer as they have a dealer fairly local and a reputation I like.    My family is looking to build a new home on our land  and the possibility of doing some of the building is pretty good.   My wife want's lots of beams in the house.... and board and batten siding.   Along with a couple of out building, chicken coop, and some day a small barn,  I was thinking a sawmill (LT15?) may be a good investment.    But as with everything else in my life,  sometimes theory and practicality are not the same :)

drobertson

theory and practice could not be farther apart!   hope your search and choice work out,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WmFritz

Hi Jeff. I agree... you won't be sorry about your investment and will find all the hard work satisfying.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

scully

Welcome ! So ..you from the "County" or just one of them southerners?
I bleed orange  .

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Jeff !
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Andy White

Jeff
Welcome to the forum, You can get your questions answered here. The idea of your own sawmill is the next
logical step in your building process! The LT15 will do everything you would need for supplying your building materials. Have fun, and be careful .          Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

bandmiller2

Welcome Jeff,what part of Maine are you from.?Do you have any log handling equipment.?We have a lot of members from Maine surely some close enough to help a little. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

PostandDream,welcome to the forum. If WM,Ross,is local to ya,you can't be too far from me. Check out the codes before building. Some towns and banks won't let you use lumber that is that grade-inspected.  ::) Must have land too? bandmiller is right about the support equipment.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Gasawyer

Welcome to the forum Jeff.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

PostandDream

Quote from: scully on August 31, 2013, 11:30:58 PM
Welcome ! So ..you from the "County" or just one of them southerners?

We'll be building about 20 minutes west of Bangor on my wifes families land.    But I'm originally from the Western Mountain area. 

PostandDream

Quote from: bandmiller2 on September 01, 2013, 07:20:28 AM
Welcome Jeff,what part of Maine are you from.?Do you have any log handling equipment.?We have a lot of members from Maine surely some close enough to help a little. Frank C.

We have a 25 hp tractor, but no bucket on it.  Not really sure what we'll do yet for moving logs.

PostandDream

Quote from: thecfarm on September 01, 2013, 07:49:32 AM
PostandDream,welcome to the forum. If WM,Ross,is local to ya,you can't be too far from me. Check out the codes before building. Some towns and banks won't let you use lumber that is that grade-inspected.  ::) Must have land too? bandmiller is right about the support equipment.

I'm about and hour from Chesterville.   I went to the open house this summer .   And we camp in Weld every summer, so we drive pretty close to those Wood Mizers !   I made just swing in there some time and leave the camper and bring home a mill....    I'm not to worried about codes, but will check them.   I'm just looking for lumber for some decorative beams and outside sheathing.   Other than that I'd use the lumber for out buildings.

Magicman

Quote from: PostandDream on September 01, 2013, 03:31:26 PMWe have a 25 hp tractor, but no bucket on it.  Not really sure what we'll do yet for moving logs.
Your situation sounds like a perfect candidate for a LogRite Arch.  LogRite Arches

LogRite is one of the Forestry Forum Sponsors found listed on the left.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

slider

Welcome Jeff what took you so long.I started with a lift boom on a bigger tractor but a log arch would be nice on a smaller tractor.
al glenn

Bill Gaiche

Welcome aboard. Dreams do come true and you can make it happen. bg

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Dewey

Hey Jeff Good to see another Mainah on here  I have been sawing for 18 years I would be happy to talk "shop "with you. Also I have a set of forks you maybe able to use if your interested send me a P.M

GDinMaine

Welcome to the forum, Jeff.   I live 20 minutes East of Bangor, so we are very close. Sounds like a lot of fun and stories are in the future for your family.  I'm in the middle of a sawing job where a family is building and I'm sawing sheathing and flooring for their new home.  I think it's a great way to use the trees from ones' own land. 
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Thank You Sponsors!