iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut Logs in ND????

Started by Mark M, November 19, 2004, 02:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark M

I did some sawing for a fellow last week. A few nice walnut, some big elm, and about 800 ft of cottonwood.

For more and bigger pictures click --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/album/219502445KOqJWL]Here[/url]

oldsaw

And yes, I grew up a few miles from "NoDak" and there are walnuts there.  Especially along the Red River.

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

cutterboy

Mark,

Thanks for the great pictures. I could look at sawmill photos all day.

How do you like your Norwood? I've got one too, and I love it. I see you've got the winch for loading logs. I've thought about getting that. Does it work well, or is it one of thoes things that seems like a good idea but does'nt  really work very well?

Hey Mark, Walnut trees in North Dakota????  I didn't think there were any trees in North Dakota!

Thanks again
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

ohsoloco

Nice pics, Mark.  You must be a little more nimble around the mill (or careful), b/c I learned the hard way I have to remove the light bar before I saw  ;)  Is your mill an "inside mill" Mark  ???  Mine doesn't look near that pretty anymore  :D

Mark M

Hi Cutterboy - I really like it a lot! I made the log loader myself out out 2" square tubing and a Warn 1700 wench, cost less than $200 for the whole thing. I can load a 30 inch cottonwood with no difficulty. I have a few more pictures here

Oso - most of these logs were pretty short so the light bar didn't get in the way. The mill is an outside mill and in fact it has been uncovered all summer. :-/

The walnut came from yard tree in Bismarck, I couldn't believe it!

edsaws

Mark M those are nice pics I like your winch set up also.  I was thinkin along the same lines for my homemade mill and was wondering how stable it is?

Mark M

Hi Ed

It seems to be very stable. I loaded some 12ft x 24" elm logs and there was no problem. Also it's really easy on the battery. I've got 40 hours total on the saw and have only charged the battery twice and even then it wasn't dead, I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't freeze.

UNCLEBUCK

Thanks for showing pictures of your mill Mark . It is something to be very proud of . Alot of fun too !  
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Thank You Sponsors!