iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

nuisance sap

Started by Kevin, December 21, 2005, 01:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Any methods that work at preventing a wound from dripping sap from a white pine tree?

Tom

We have an anomaly, Kevin.  Down here we cut'em open to make the sap run and catch it in a cup so it can be sold.  ;D

Time is the only thing that works on SYP that I know of.  Probably the same with white pine. The sap needs to crystallize and plug the wound.  Burning the wound with a blow torch might work to hasten it.

SwampDonkey

Solution: Don't make the wound in the first place. ;D Must have slowed up by now with -15 C weather. ;)

I was thinking (uh oh  ::) ), was it a mechanical injury? or is it a blister rust attack?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Kevin

It's the brother-inlaw's tree.
I was there yesterday taking a dead leader out of the tree and there is one limb that overhangs the deck that drips sap in the summer from an old injury.
I was thinking about torching it but I thought I should ask first .. ::)

Jeff

If it was my brother-in-laws tree, I would fashion up a diaper for it, and tell him thats "how they do it"  ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

Maybe I'll just place a cup under it.

Jeff

Shop around and get him a bed pan and give it to him for Christmas. Tell him what its for when he opens it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

getoverit

I dont know how effective it is, but I have seen people use roofing tar patch to put a "band-aid" on pine trees>  My Dad used to smear bee's wax on oak trees where he cut limbs off to seal the wound from insects.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Thank You Sponsors!