iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

National FFA Forestry Results (Pictures too)

Started by caveman, November 02, 2014, 12:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

Thank you to WDH, PetefromBearSwamp, and Curdog for sending samples and or volunteering to help prepare a fabulous group of young people for their National FFA Forestry competition which was held last Wednesday and Thursday in Louisville, Kentucky and Bernheim Forest.

The students were all on the Kathleen FFA forestry team that represented Florida at this year's national convention.  We loaded up last Saturday morning and drove to Rocky Top mountain near Ivy Log, Georgia to stay for a couple of days and try to learn how to ocular estimate hardwoods, accurately compass and pace on slopes (the part of Florida where we are from is very flat), learn to identify many trees by actual samples that were previously only seen by the team in photos, and practice for the dreaded interview and team portions of the contest.  We stayed in the area until Tuesday morning when we drove to Kentucky for the event.  While in Georgia, we visited the Chattahoochee National Forest ranger station and a biologist, Jim Wentworth, took time out of his day to talk to the students about forest pests/invasives and answer questions they had.  Also, the team walked up Brasstown Bald and visited Vogel State Park.  Each stop was an opportunity to work on different practicums.  Driving/riding time was used to review general knowledge for the written test.  While in Mammoth Cave Park I was nearly arrested and stuffed into the back of a minivan for taking a twig sample off of a beech tree in the middle of the forest.  Our female team member, Lexi, was giving me the business about that one.

At the awards banquet on Friday afternoon the results were announced.  Husqvarna and John Deere sponsored the event and provided awards, food, hard hats and were absolutely tremendous in making this event awesome.  The results are below.
1.  Kathleen FFA   FL
2.  Pocahontas FFA WV
3.  Calvin FFA LA
4.  East Richland FFA IL
5.  Alvirne FFA NH
The top three individuals were from the Kathleen FFA team from Florida.
1.  Taeler Dupre
2.  Brevyn Foreman
3.  Emmett Lee
4.  Kyle Trott  NH
5.  Matt Rao  WV

After the event was over, we left out of Louisville at 3:30 p.m and headed south.  We arrived at my house at about 4:30 or 5 a.m. (after the time change).  This was an amazing opportunity for these students and myself.
Caveman
Caveman

WDH

Wow, what an experience!  You have to be very proud of your team.  I have been there and know that the competition is very tough.  To win is an amazing result.  I tip my hat to you  8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ron Scott

~Ron

hardtailjohn

Awesome!!!   I'm feeling old.... just flipped across the National FFA Convention on the RFD channel the other day.... I attended 3 of them when they were held in Kansas City.... the 50th Anniversary was the last.
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

caveman

This FFA Convention was the 87th annual.  Kathleen Sr. FFA chapter had a busy week.  In addition to the forestry team, we had an ag mechanics team and an environmental science team.  Ag mechanics earned a bronze award and the environmental science team earned a silver.  Also, five of our recent graduates, including my oldest daughter attended and received their American Degrees.  Two of our freshmen competed in the National Science Fair and our chapter also received the Three Star National Chapter Award. 

I finally had a few minutes to go through all of the  forestry event scores and data that I was given at the event.  40 states had teams of four individuals competing in the forestry contest. One of my students who competed at the National FFA Forestry Contest 10 years ago sent me a picture of her team and a congratulatory text Saturday--she now teaches agriculture at a nearby middle school.

Several of the students from our chapter who went on this trip had never left Florida prior to last week.  Many saw snow for the first time on Friday evening (it was not much) and had a ball playing in it.
Caveman
Caveman

whitepine2

WOW this brings back memories. I was in FFA in high school some 54 years ago,some fun times back then as is now,always enjoyed
field trips was a chance to get away from the farm and see what the rest of this world had to offer.

Whitepine2

sandhills

8) 8) 8) 8) smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup  Congratulations to the national champs!  And a very big pat on your back (and congratulations also) Caveman for giving those kids an education and a trip they'll never forget!

WDH

That is the way education should work.  Those kids will own this knowledge for life. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

OneWithWood

Congratulations, Caveman, on a job well done  smiley_clapping
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

caveman

Thank you for the kind words.  It truly was an amazing experience.  The kids, despite the rigorous study schedule we followed while in Georgia, kept rating this as one of their top three road trips ever. 

Next Wednesday, the forestry team that won the district contest on October 9th, will travel to Perry, Florida to compete in the state forestry contest.  The winning team at that event will represent Florida next October at the national contest.  The team practiced compass and pacing as well as timber cruising for a couple of hours this afternoon.  The area where we practiced today was under water until a week or so ago.  There were plenty of hungry mosquitoes.
Caveman
Caveman

RynSmith

This it really cool, Caveman, thanks for sharing and congratulations to the students and to you!
8) 8) 8)

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pine

What a fantastic learning opportunity that you had available to take and work with those kids on.  Congratulations.

RynSmith

Forgot to ask - are the axes the prize for winning?

caveman

The axes were prizes for winning and for individual accomplishments.  They also presented the students plaques.  I will have to get some close up pictures.  The handles were laser engraved and are really cool.  They are Husqvarna axes.  Also, I got a Husqvarna 545 to use at school.  I put it to work on Friday.  Nice, light saw.
Caveman
Caveman

caveman

This is an addition to last year's FFA Forestry CDE post.  In 2014 Kathleen's FFA forestry team won the National FFA Forestry contest.  A few weeks after the event the students who were participating in Florida's state FFA contest from Kathleen eked out a win (2 points) and earned the opportunity to participate in the 2015 National FFA Forestry Contest which was held in Louisville, Kentucky last week.

We followed a similar schedule as we did last year.  Early Saturday morning we packed up and left Lakeland, Florida and headed to the mountains in northern Georgia.  We arrived just before dark due to being caught up in the I-75 parking lot south of Atlanta for two hours.  Sunday was spent in the woods practicing dendrology, estimating volume, identifying forest disorders and working on team activities.  We headed into Louisville on Wednesday so the students could take their written tests and participate in the practicums that were outside on Thursday.

Friday at the awards banquet, Kathleen's FFA chapter was announced as the first place team in the nation.  39 states sent their best teams to compete.  The students were ecstatic and completely surprised.  As the 139 students' rankings- Gold, Silver or Bronze were announced the anticipation mounted.  All of Kathleen's students earned Gold.  As the top 10 teams were announced,  it became apparent that Kathleen's team would either be 1st or 11th or 12th.  They were announced as National Champions.

The team members are
Hannah Scionti
Cody Clark
Shelby Carlton (my daughter)
Alex Yelvington

A special thanks goes out to PetefromtheBearSwamp and WDH for providing some dendro samples.

[img]https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/22883/FFA_2015.jpg[/img

Caveman
Caveman

caveman

2015 National FFA Forestry CDE 1st Place team
From left to right
Keitha Hall FFA Advisor
Alex
Hannah
Shelby
Cody
Kyle Carlton FFA Advisor (aka-Caveman)
I do not know why the photo did not post on the first attempt.
Also, we need to thank John Deere and Husqvarna for sponsoring the event and Jim Wentworth with the Chattahoochee National Forest for answering questions that the students presented him with in preparation for the event.
Caveman

Shotgun

Congratulations to the winning team.  That was a real accomplishment.  You must be really proud of them.   

It must have been a huge conference. They absorbed the motel rooms for a 60 mile radius from  Louisville. We were trying to get a room Friday evening, and had to travel about 30 miles to find one.   ;)

Good going to the whole team.

Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

samandothers

Congratulations Caveman for your work and the teams performance. And a well done to the FF members that assisted!

beenthere

Caveman
QuoteFriday at the awards banquet, Kathleen's FFA chapter was announced as the first place team in the nation. 

Catch us (or at least me) up on who Kathleen is, please.  The one you are connected with?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

caveman

Beenthere, Kathleen High School FFA is the FFA chapter that had the forestry team that represented Florida at the annual FFA Forestry CDE (career development event).  39 states sent teams.  There were over 65,000 FFA members and guests registered at the 2015 FFA National Convention that was held in Louisville last week. 

This is quite an accomplishment for these students.  They prepared for a rigorous written test, chainsaw troubleshooting and safety, USGS topo map interpretation, compass and pacing, timber estimation, forest disorders, dendrology, TSI, wood and wood products id, interview, a team activity, and forest business management problems.  They did not know which they would be tested on until the day of the event. 
Caveman
Caveman

pine

Not only can you be proud of your students and the work they put into this endeavor but you should be proud of yourself for the amount of time and effort that you have devoted to getting these kids out and seeing the real world and the environment that matters. (not concrete and not video games)

Ron Scott

~Ron

WDH

Wow!  Repeat national Champions.  That is quite an accomplishment.  I am proud of you.  You are doing a fine thing leading these students.  You are making a great positive impact on their lives. 

caveman

WDH left us a shortleaf pine sample in a red maple tree at the Perry, Georgia Cracker Barrel.  We found it in short order.  My parents brought us a pitch pine sample that he gave me directions to that was near Clayton, Georgia.  We left Louisville at 3 pm yesterday, passed through Perry, Georgia at 10:45 last night and rolled into my driveway in Lakeland at 3:35 this morning, which was really 2:35 (after the time change).  Each team member was given a Husqvarna ax that is laser engraved with "2015 National Champion Forestry CDE" and a plaque stating the same with their names on them.  They were recognized on the national FFA convention stage yesterday afternoon (televised on RFDTV).  We would have left early yesterday morning had they not won and would have gotten home at a reasonable hour but it was certainly worth hanging around for the final convention session.
Kyle

Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!