iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

does anyone know anything about that old chain

Started by scottedward58, May 25, 2009, 02:25:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottedward58

does anyone know anything about that old chain for the saws with a little stone that was supose to sharpen the chain

beenthere

Are you talking about the ones like Sears sold, that had the sharpening stone on the saw?
If so, the teeth were shaped differently, and the stone was curved and set like a brake shoe. With a lever, pushed the stone against the chain as it curved around the drive sprocket...if I remember that right. Don't think they were a big hit, but some liked not having to take much time "sharpening" the chain. Because they didn't cut very well, causing more sharpening, the chains didn't last very long.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tyb525

Funny you should post this, my dad was just talking about this.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

chucker

seems like it wasthe craftsman saw from early 80,s cascade logging sold one to me about that time. saw was ok but the sharpener was a dud.............
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Cut4fun

The sears or poulan  I had was called powersharp. Was just a gimmick that failed.

sablatnic

They were quite common some twenty years ago, but I never did try one. How good or bad were they really? Anyone know?

Rocky_J

Yes, everybody who ever was unfortunate enough to use one knows. They were horrible, a terrible design marketed by office people who had no understanding of how chainsaw chain works. They were marketed by Sears and sold to unsuspecting homeowners who had no idea what they were buying other than the box said "self sharpening chain". Anybody with half a clue avoided them like the plague.

rebocardo

Worse, it did not sharpen it like you would expect, it makes the cutter a sickle looking thing that grabs you like a fish hook and rips you open. Yea, great slogan, bad idea.

scottedward58

really it didn't work that well, because I see Oregon has a chain for self sharpening saws. thanks for the answers

Bernhard

I guess McC had this feature also and I remember an electric Bosch with a sharpener added.

beenthere

Quote from: scottedward58 on May 26, 2009, 02:38:25 AM
really it didn't work that well, because I see Oregon has a chain for self sharpening saws. thanks for the answers

Recently saw reference to a reincarnation of the self sharpening system. Wondering if anyone has tried it? Apparently a portable "stone" that fits over the bar tip. (And I am not planning on trying it  ;D )

http://powersharp.com/
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

wood monger

My uncle had one of those. I think it was a small McColluch, It didn't work very well, and seemed to be a chain eating machine rather than a chain sharpener.

dovetails

Got a great buy on a bar and chain at sears years ago (22?) as my saw didn't have
the stone to sharpen the chain,I just used it till it got dull, then used it to cut roots. Talk about a ground hog, that chain would eat thru a root like you wouldn't believe!
1984 wm lt30,ford 3000 w/frt lift,several chain saws, 1953 model 30 Vermeer stump grinder,full wood working shop, log home in the woods what more ya need?

sawguy21

Funny this should come up, our Oregon rep was around with a sample this past week. They have re introduced it and actually works surprisingly well on a home owner saw.
They have modified the bumpers to make it smoother and slightly re designed the cutters. Added some diamond coated ones to dress the stone.
The sharpening system is different. The bar comes with two holes where a spring loaded nose piece containing the stone attaches. Rev the saw, press the plunger against a solid surface and watch the sparks fly  ;D Remove the attachment to cut. Replacement chain and a stone come as a package.
My boss, who knows diddly squat about saws and the people who use them, envisions it going into rental yards and dealerships but they won't buy it. It's a box store thing.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Rocky_J

Amazing how many 'inventions' concocted by people totally unfamiliar with an industry will make it into production and onto store shelves. A chainsaw chain designed by people who know nothing about chainsaws, for people who know nothing about chainsaws. It's a sure fire winner and will make the inventor millions.  ::)

Cut4fun

It's only for 3/8LP chain at that. Just another waste of homeowner sawers money.  Look at the chain closely, looks like double rakers etc.

http://powersharp.com/   with video.

Says no special tools or down time to sharpen your saw chain. Sure looks like a special tool to me.
I dont see why people just dont take a $3 file and a few mins to do the same darn thing, lazy I guess.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

sawguy21

Quote from: Cut4fun on July 17, 2010, 06:01:54 PM
It's only for 3/8LP chain at that. Just another waste of homeowner sawers money.  Look at the chain closely, looks like double rakers etc.

http://powersharp.com/   with video.

Says no special tools or down time to sharpen your saw chain. Sure looks like a special tool to me.
I dont see why people just dont take a $3 file and a few mins to do the same darn thing, lazy I guess.
It is 91 chain, 3/8 lo pro.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Cut4fun

Thank You Sponsors!