iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

200 acres of ash

Started by Texas Ranger, March 20, 2012, 05:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

Had a gent call me from up in north east Texas, a land clearer.  Has a client with "200 acres of ash" that would like to move rather than destroy.  If interested, I will send contact number.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

The guy knew nothing on size, species, etc, but I thought, hey, maybe,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Okrafarmer

Does he know how to identify ash? It could turn out to be Liquidambar styraciflua.  :o
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Sweetgum is something like grits,does not come this far North.  ;D 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I loves Grits.   digin1
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

metalspinner

Grits! :D

I was up late last night watching My Cousin Vinny. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnn2ET8BkPY

BTW,

Are any of you responsible for that incredibly, remarkably loud whistle at 5 AM in the morning? :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: thecfarm on March 21, 2012, 09:03:52 AM
Sweetgum is something like grits,does not come this far North.  ;D
does too...

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Overlength

Could be lot of Ash if in a bottom, along the Sabine river or somewhere. Sure a lot of it could be Elm to. Some of the best Ash in country comes from that area. Med/firm texture, and is 95% white naturally. 8)  Local custom cabinet market absorbs all of it. Not the best time of year to be cutting Ash. Can you say sticker stain? :D I'm a little far away, but know a couple mills could be interested if you want to send me info. There could be also some Aromatic Cedar sure would be interested in.
Woodmizer LT30, Solar Kiln 400 bf

Texas Ranger

I didn't know my "whistle" could be heard that far east.

The ash is around Palestine, I will pm the information..

Overlength

I'm sure they heard your whistle all the way to China. They may already be there buying the logs. :-\
I was thinking when you said northeast it might be closer to the I20 and up. That might be a 100 miles from the mills I was thinking of. Texas sure is big. I do know some Cedar mills in that area. I can see what they think about the Ash. Thanks.

Texas Ranger

I did a damage appraisal in the Waco area several years ago and could find no mill that would talk to me, good luck on that, and hope you have an in, somewhere.

Okrafarmer

Some of us are still adjusting our paradigm to accept that there are trees in Texas.  ;D

(I spent 10 weeks in Baytown after Ike, in 2008, so yes, I have seen the trees with mine own eyes).
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Texas Ranger

More trees in Texas than most other single states, well, depends on definition of tree, kinda like the definition of "if".

From the Texas  Forest Service:  Texas has 60 million acres of forestland -more than any other state in the lower 48 United States

We big.

Okrafarmer

I'm also learning to think of Liquidambar as a viable saw log tree. It's been a real stressful time for me, having to adjust my thinking on so many things of late.  :-\

Overlength

There's plenty nice trees after you spend half your time clearing the thick underbrush of posion ivy, and untangeling yourself from the briars. I know how the rabbits get away from the coyotes.
I've been buying lumber from some mills out there for years, so I might have more of an out than a in, but they always need good saw logs.

CalebL

Quote from: Texas Ranger on March 20, 2012, 05:54:50 PM
Had a gent call me from up in north east Texas, a land clearer.  Has a client with "200 acres of ash" that would like to move rather than destroy.  If interested, I will send contact number.

2 things I thought quickly when I read this.  1.  He has a very large fireplace or 2.  I would take a long time to dig all those trees up and replant them. 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

Okrafarmer

Yeah, the 200 acres of ashes thing crossed my mind too. I have heard there have been a lot of fires in Texas in the last few years.

Overlength

It makes sense now why Texas is bigger.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: metalspinner on March 21, 2012, 10:02:42 AM
Grits! :D

I was up late last night watching My Cousin Vinny. :D

I have to watch that every once in awhile just to get kicked in high gear. The whole cast are brilliant in my mind. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Never see a fire in hardwood up here. Them foot thick leaves from the fall are pretty much disintegrated by spring time and not a lot of fines to catch fire. If there is a lot of softwood mixed in, then for sure.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!