iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FalconFan

Tried out my new 36" bar with my alaskan mill. The widest slab is roughly 30" at its widest point. 

Chainsaw mills do tend to make some saw dust.

Magicman

But they also turn out some nice White Oak slabs.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

FalconFan

Quote from: Magicman on February 21, 2018, 08:44:10 AM
But they also turn out some nice White Oak slabs.   smiley_thumbsup
And I also have a year or two to figure out what I want to do with them while they dry in the barn!

olcowhand

FalconFan,
What size Stihl is that? And are you using a Ripping Chain?
Those slabs are nice. Good Job.
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Crossroads

Would makes some cool tables. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Magicman

My phone just rang and it's called "Repeat Customers".  The 230 mile away guy where I just finished sawing those post/beams last week called wanting to know how soon I could get back to saw more for him?  I told him that as soon as the weather is clear for a few days, I'll be there.   move_it
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Take a mailbox with you so I can send you a card.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

And to think that I agonized for over a week about whether I should take this job because it was a lot of logs and a long way from home.  Of course a breakdown would be a killer but I am now ahead of the game so even that is not a concern.  My "comfort zone" has somewhat been comforted.   ;D

terrifictimbersllc

Got to the job today 100 miles from home, setting up, something funny with going on with the tire when I put down the loading arms.  

Turned out the idle side leaf spring was broken off from its eye at the front.    

Took it off at lunch, customer took it to a spring shop 7 miles away, came back with an exact match, and new U-bolts and other hardware.   $85 for all and didn't lose any time on the job.  Took me 30 minutes at end of day to put it back on.  Happy to be back home again by the fire.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Nice going and quick fix. 

I had two minor "hitches" while sawing that last road trip job.  The hydraulic contact and the loader arm getting bent both of which were taken care of with minimal time lost.  Last year I was even further away and had an alternator failure.  Wood-Mizer overnighted one to me and it was at the motel the next morning before noon.  I was back sawing that afternoon.

Idiocrates

Tried out my new 36" bar with my alaskan mill. The widest slab is roughly 30" at its widest point. 

I don't know if you use your chainsaw for normal crosscuts, but if not you can increase your max width by removing the dogs from the front of the saw and sliding the vertical post and clamp right up to the front of the saw.
James

E-Tex

tired of this stuff...............................

LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

scleigh

Got started on a 2000bf walnut and cherry order.

Got some decent 16' long logs in this bunch

Magicman

Nice.  I do not recall ever sawing 16' Walnut logs.   :o

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I think this is the first time I've seen Walnut lumber that long.
Sure would like to know the plan for that long Highly Valuable Walnut Lumber.  :)

scleigh

I've been getting a bunch of it lately. The logs were part of this load i bought in december.
The guy has another load waiting for me to give him the go ahead on delivering it

POSTON WIDEHEAD

nativewolf

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on February 21, 2018, 09:54:11 PM
I think this is the first time I've seen Walnut lumber that long.
Sure would like to know the plan for that long Highly Valuable Walnut Lumber.  :)
You guys pay the trucking fee and give an honest price and I'll sell every FF member all the 16 or 32' Walnut they care and give the normal fee to FF.  The only problem is that even the second logs are going to be high dollar logs.  But, if you want them, I'll sell them.
Liking Walnut

Crossroads

I got a call today from a guy that I cut some 4x12 bridge decking for last year with the old lt30. He wanted to know how big I can cut, when I told him about the new mill, he got excited. He said he was looking at 2-12'x36" fir logs that he wanted turned into 2x6's. I thought he might crawfish when I told him my hourly rate had gone up, but he was good with it. When he was giving me directions, he mentioned he had a dump truck. That's when the bartering begin! I've been trying to get a load of rock for 6 months from another guy and he keeps brushing me off. The best part is, he's only about 10 miles away. I have 4 jobs lined up for March and 3 of them are within 20 miles, I could get used to that. Something that could be a problem though, I've been summoned for jury duty in March :(
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

FalconFan

Quote from: olcowhand on February 21, 2018, 06:43:11 PM
FalconFan,
What size Stihl is that? And are you using a Ripping Chain?
Those slabs are nice. Good Job.
Thank you.  It's a 661(stock) and I am using the Woodland Pro ripping chain from Baileys. This was my first time using their ripping chain and was very pleased.

WV Sawmiller

XRoad,

You are a man after my own heart with the bartering sawing for dump truck loads of rock. Are you sure you're not from WV? Good luck on this deal and I hope it works well for both of you. In a good barter both parties win. 

As to the jury duty many years ago a buddy of mine got selected and asked if there was any way out of it. I told him he could try cussing out the judge. It wouldn't get him out of the courtroom but would get him a different seat. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

petefrom bearswamp

Jeff schooled me on how to post pictures and has created a monster.
These could have shown the piles better they just show a representation of the width.
These are some live edge slabs I sawed in 2016 (the smaller stack) and 2017.
Mostly Black cherry and some Sugar maple.
Widest about 26" and most are 10 ft long.
The 8/4 maple on the smaller stack is some that i sawed in 2015 to take to Dodgy Loner when we still had the Florida house for him to use in his chair making, but he moved from fla to Georgia and never contacted me.
I plan to charge $1 per inch foot calculated by using the narrowest width times the length to the nearest foot.
Now I just have to figure out where to display them and how to get them sold.

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Darrel

Hey Pete, that's some pretty good looking wood from bearswamp!  And if Jeff did create a picture posting monster that's ok. Pictures are much enjoyed around here.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Resonator

Trying out different trees on the mill, cut down some Black Cherry.

Sawed it 4/4 for cabin paneling.

Some of the logs had burl caps.  All of the branch tops and edge slabs cut off the log will be dried for firewood. I've had repeat customers request it, because of how much heat it gives off. 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

WV Sawmiller

We've had so much rain here even the crayfish are wearing life jackets but it has been warm and a little wind so it is drying out a little. I got out and did a little maintenance on baby John (750) and pulled the bolts and replaced with hitch pins on the short add on forks on the bucket of the FEL so I can take them on and off quickly w/o tools. I need to shim up with some bushings but this will work.

A customer took all my 10, 12 & 14 ft 4/4 poplar Saturday (Wasn't much anyway but I like to have a little around) so moved the mill from the front lot to the pasture where the logs are. Usually use my ATV but used John today because so slick. Set it up and ready to saw. Had 25' log on the yard I cut in half with a 15 & 13 inch SE. I-1/4 log scale estimated 200 bf. 

I got ready to saw then had an ephiphany (Cerebral flatulence?) - I realized the design of my mill is such that it saws better with a blade installed. I fixed that then I sawed 4/4, mostly 1X10s. Slid off onto my 5X8 trailer and dead stacked. Ran out of time and will sticker tomorrow. Finished and actual scale was 227 bf. No record breaking but decent.

25' log on the yard - bucked to 2-12.5' each.

Moved with log arch. Son's old 18 y/o Aussie Shepherd supervising everything.

227 bf - mostly 1X10's. Matoaka the Aussie seems satisfied.  Moved over to the shed and will unload, stack and sticker in the morning.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!