iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain breaker

Started by tractorhead9542, January 25, 2015, 12:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tractorhead9542

Hello all.
First time to post here-hope it goes well! Only stayed behind the scenes here until now. I do a lot of wood cutting. I heat my 150+year old dump(house) with an outdoor wood burner and am some what of a hobbyist in wood processing. I own "several" saws from 12-36" and I do all my own maintenance and sharpening. Here's the deal, WOW am I sick of ridiculous chain prices! I quit the dealers about a year ago, and have strictly purchased chains and bars on ebay. That has been going well, but I am considering setting up with my own bulk chain and tools. If anyone has ideas, suggestions, or the like, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanx
Saws: Stihl 015, 036, MS250 (2), MS362, MS461, MS660. Equipment: Northern 30 ton splitter, Ford 340B, Gehl 3935 skid, 2004 Ford F-350 DRW, and a lot of Allis-Chalmers!

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
I heat with wood, and don't have but two chainsaws. I bought two chains for my MS 361 back 11 years ago, and alternate between these two chains (just now getting to the point to buy two more). I don't find them excessively expensive but I don't cut into the ground, hit rocks, and have been lucky not to hit metal in the logs.

Puzzles me you are going through so much chain.  No way would I consider buying bulk chain to make a new set every 10 years.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

I priced the difference between pre-made loops and bulk chain.  The pre-made loops were actually a better deal than buying bulk chain, pre-sets and the breaker and spinner.  That was several years ago.  It may have changed.  I do have a breaker and spinner now but that's only because I've got a harvester that uses 3/4" pitch chain that requires repairs.  I still buy premade loops of it.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

tractorhead9542

Its not that I go through a ton of chain, but when you have a lot of saws, it tends to add up.  I do on occasion "dirt nap" the chain, but I know how to dress and maintain a chain to the end of its usable life. I did a little math and I thought a bulk roll would pay for itself over a course of time and save me at least 40% in the end. And I'm not talking about little chains to make. All saws 16" and under are .325 and my limber is Picco (1/4). But a few 20 to 36" chains can add up.
Saws: Stihl 015, 036, MS250 (2), MS362, MS461, MS660. Equipment: Northern 30 ton splitter, Ford 340B, Gehl 3935 skid, 2004 Ford F-350 DRW, and a lot of Allis-Chalmers!

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, tractorhead9542.  Adding your location to your profile might help with future questions.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
I have bought quite a few chains and reels off eBay, too. If you don't figure in the price of the spinner and breaker, it is cheaper making your own.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

tractorhead9542,welcome to the forum.
I maintain 150 ares of woods. I have my saw in my hand at least once a week it seems. I go through some chains and bars too. But I just buy them made up as I need. I try to keep a spare bar and at least 2 chains. Do the math for what you use and need.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bill m

When I was running my tree service we had saws with 16,18,20,24,28 and 36 inch bars on the trucks all the time. It was a nightmare to keep up on the inventory of chains I needed so I bought a breaker, spinner and spools of chain and just made up chains as needed. Now that I am just logging I run nothing but 20 inch bars and find it just as inexpensive to buy premade loops. I normally buy 40 at a time and get a good price on them.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

sawguy21

Bill has it covered. With only a few sizes needed it hardly makes sense to buck and spin chain especially for personal use. You need to make a lot of loops to realize any saving and it is time consuming.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

coxy

it is cheaper for me to buy premade loops  I cant make them for 13 bucks a loop       and don't for get your time to make them

whitepine2

Quote from: coxy on January 25, 2015, 09:29:43 PM
it is cheaper for me to buy premade loops  I cant make them for 13 bucks a loop       and don't for get your time to make them
   Second this usually can get a break on ten or more loops.best way to go.

tractorhead9542

Thank you to the folks who provided a warm welcome! I will continue to view and use this forum for fun and knowledge. I think I will heed the advice of most of you for the time being and continue my chain purchases off the dealer grid. How do you all feel about Oregon and other aftermarket chains versus Stihl? I only have Stihl saws and that's the only chain brand I have purchased. Is there a benefit/advantage? Thanx again to everyone!

sawguy21

Hoo boy here we go with the brand wars. :D Opinions are like arm pits, we all have them and they stink. Many here seem to like Stihl, claim it holds an edge better but is harder to file. I have only used Oregon, it has worked well for me but I am not a professional wood cutter. FWIW I sell Oregon so have an axe to grind. ;)

whitepine2

I have only used Oregon, it has worked well for me but I am not a professional wood cutter. FWIW I sell Oregon so have an axe to grind. ;)

I think you have a tooth to grind!

sawguy21

You are correct. More than just one though. ;D

fat olde elf

19 years ago I was running a Granberg CS Alaska mill.  I had 11 chains in rotation and was paying $3.OO for sharpening. I bought a quality chain grinder and that made dollar sense. I also started buying 72 LG chain in bulk. At that time it made dollar sense.  It especially made sense when one of my vendors started giving me 100 foot spools no charge.  After I got my band sawmill I started running smaller chain saws (.325) for felling and trimming and now I buy an occasional package chain.  Go figure....
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

tractorhead9542

Whoa hey now! There's no brand war here... I am just telling you what I have purchased (chain wise). That's why I was asking in the first place. Not for puffy chest- but for knowledge and advice

WV Sawmiller

THead,

I sure don't use near as much chain as lots of you folks but I have good service with Oregon bars and chain. I just buy a bar or chain on Amazon as needed. I have a 12 electric sharpener I keep in my tool box I clamp on my 4 wheeler battery in the woods when I need to sharpen the chain. Has extended my chain life tremendously and convenient if I do nick a rock or such. My current sharpener is a Sthil but when it dies I will replace it with an Oregon. The Oregon hand held sharpener I had before had the on/off switch on the handle not the cord which is more convenient. Also it uses any stone. Sthil sharpeners have threaded shafts on their stones and I have to get them from the dealer (I think 3 for $5). Not a big expense but a piddling nuisance.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sawguy21

I sincerely apologize if my remark offended you. Guess my attempt at humor did a face plant.  :-[

Skidder Kev

hi tractorhead,  we use a woodland pro breaker set,  we have only put about 100' of chain through it but seems to work well so far.  as for chain, we use oregon and haven't had a problem.    If you did the numbers and think you will be saving then go for it,  and if you don;t use it much or stop cutting wood you can always sell it. 

terrifictimbersllc

It doesn't take much time to make up loops. Whether its worth it or not is simple math and don't forget to include shipping in the figuring.   Need to use a fair amount of chain to make it worthwhile in my opinion.   Versatility in repairing chain and changing loop length is part of the equation.   Buying 100 feet of one style is a fair commitment.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

tractorhead9542

Hello again,
First of all, hey Sawguy21, no offense taken! I don't know you from Adam and it did sound harsh. I have a sense of humor too, and you WILL find that out as time goes on ;). It just sounded like the Ford, GM, etc. battle that plagues us all! Hey man, were all in this together... relatively speaking. To all the rest; I will give an Oregon loop a try and see how I like it and proceed from there. I am just sooo used to stihl chain and have gotten real good a sharpening them. Its just the flat out price that's a bummer. G'nite

ktowne030311

IMO the oregon 3/8 chains didnt last to long for me. seemed to always be sharpening therm more then cutting! Ive been running Stihls 404 chain and love it.
McCulloch 5-49, Ms290/390 frankenstein, 030av, 051av

Thank You Sponsors!