iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Steep cable logging question

Started by mike_belben, December 29, 2017, 01:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

Nice finds!

The cat doesnt look like it was ever finished, no fairlead and cutoff hose stubs.. But i like it.  I did consider winch on back side of the blade (i dont wajt it infront) but it would hit the nose on full lift and i cant give up an inch there.  Plus with a brush bar on there and logs hitched up im pretty toe heavy and wanted some rear ballast.  My blade has been fully reskinned right over the last one with heavy plate also.  I am gonna try a reciever mounted DC truck winch i have on the blade this spring to see if i like it.  Light easy cable to pull for twitching small pulpy stuff.

What theyre doing with the liebher is how i picture the setup.  Push up a mound in front of you to make a flat pad and have no chance of rolling down the hill, then pull everything up to the mound.  Winch up a pile then relay to a skidder/forwarder/forestry trailer from there.

The cab will get 3x3 tube diagonal bracing.  Fwiw, my buddy before me broke a final on this machine and picked it clean off the ground to drive it back to the shop with a cat 330 excavator.  Chained from the rops.  So it held about 17k.  Im thinking most trees will be lighter!  I will set the relief valve so that it cant rip itself apart. 
Praise The Lord

coxy

but you where also picking it straight up not pulling back on it if you know what I mean not saying it wont hold

Puffergas

Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Skeans1

Here's a video of that Skagit, there use to be one around my area I'd bet it's now a pop can or a Toyota Prius.
https://youtu.be/qSfMEWTLCK0

mike_belben

Yeah id seen a few of those pipeline side boom cranes on auction listings over the years.  The way theyre set up is a cantilever that relies on the counterweight exceeding the line pull resistance to not fulcrum onto their sides.  In my first drawing the double A frame is sort like that in travel mode but then you swing down the other A frame drop leg and now have a 4 post tower on its own legs with a parked dozer for a counterweight.  I think youd break something before flipping the machine.  And hopefully before any of that the log simply gives up the fight and complies with my demand to rise up and walk to me.

I didnt realize how big that crawler yarder was in the first pictures.  275 gallon gas tank.  Thirsty! 

I tried to sell a complete D8 engine of that vintage for years at scrap price with no luck.  Even the export world had no use for it.  Times have changed.   
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!