iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Exterior siding finishes

Started by beetle, July 14, 2005, 04:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beetle

Any opinions on Linseed oil and Turps as a finish for exterior siding, specifically Hemlock. I know it will have no UV resistant properties. Looking for a good finish that will allow the wood to age naturally and to keep it from turning that ugly black and/or gray.
Too many hobbies...not enough time.

beenthere

The "ugly black and/or gray" is mold, so something that won't let the mold grow will help. Bleach solution will help, but will need to be sprayed on a couple times a year most likely.

Used to use a mix of Penta, paraffin wax and mineral spirits but that was when we could get Penta. Some borax treatments may help but appears they also need application more often.

I understand that linseed oil is like candy to mold. So I would be cautious to use it without something added to kill mold.

The UV protects the wood from breaking down.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

beetle

The Madison formula, that is what I had read other places. Linseed whether raw or processed ( boiled ) feeds mold and reguires a fugicide. Penta is no longer avaliable to us, and I would not want the toxic properties on a agg building anyway.

So we are looking for suggestions, we want a oil penetrant, not a Urethane or wax based product that lays on top and seals the surface. Anyone have experience with the multitude of commercial products out there?

Suggestions?
Too many hobbies...not enough time.

Thank You Sponsors!