iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl 020 avp electronic

Started by sandyman1216, March 20, 2013, 01:44:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandyman1216

OK I'm new to all this;forums and chainsaws .Retired electrician finding time for new frustrations .My saws;. ECHO 500EVL ,husky 36, new echo top handle ,forgot the model # and my favorite so far the 020avp. I've done the carb kit in the 500evl  new carb in the husky success!!not so much with the 020.Thanks to this forum got it apart installed carb kit( local stihl service tech told me diaphram gsket combo was wrong tried to follow parts diagram to rebuild:might be the problem)bought a compression tester after the fact .I used the hose extension with schrader valve got 110 lbs then that quit working :-\ :-\went to direct hose to gauge 110 lbs again. I have the service manual can't find what it's supposed to be. ANYWAY IT RUNS GREAT FOR AWHILE THAN TAKES A DIVE .Question;, is there hope? should it stay or should it go?
always learnin

Al_Smith

Most likely you could rering it and get it back up on compression .

Depending on how old it is it could be 38 mm or 40 mm bore size .You can buy generic rings for little of nothing ,like less than 10 bucks .I suppose the dealers could supply rings too if you wanted to go that route .Fact I've never had a problem finding parts for an 020Av .They are a little pain in the buttocks of a saw to work on though .

sandyman1216

Thanks Al
   you think it's a job a rook can take on ? I GOT THE TIME ; Don't know if I got the tools .saw the 38 mm ring and piston set @ chainsawr for25$ iszat the way to go
always learnin

Al_Smith

Although some would like to say that working on chainsaws is akin to rocket science it really is not .You shouldn't have any problems aside from taking the danged little thing apart .Unless the piston is chewed up it's probabley okay .

A piston doesn't have to be perfect to work well .Of course it can't be out of round like a football either .

Parts of course you have the dealers or if you want there's a couple of places that sell after market which probabley would suffice .They aren't sponsors here so just do a "google " ,easy enough to find .

If you're going to take the time to rering it you'd just as well change the crankshaft seals .If they aren't bad already they soon will be .It's not a matter of if they go bad more a question of when .

AdkStihl

If its an older 020, pretty much all you need for tools is a long flat head screwdriver. I will say this...they arent my most favorite speciment to dissect.

Hint: When you think you have all the screws holding the "shell" together, look again cause you missed one  ;)

They are good running saws
J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

Those things are just about as bad to work on as a Mini Mac or a Homelite super 2 .Nothing to it after you dig in out of its' shell .

sandyman1216

What is the acceptable range for compression on the 020 avp and is there any mechanic in a can that can help ?
I work on my small outboards and once when my 6hp was acting up was told it needed rings  A local  evinrude mech. sold me a can to spray in the carb while it's runnin smokes like hell but it straitened up .got some left any opinions?
always learnin

Al_Smith

If you think they might be stuck a little squirt some Kroil or that blue stuff they sell down towards the end of the page and let it sit a day or two . Blow it out with compressed air and start it .It will smoke and either fix it or not .

bagman

Finally got my 020 av apart.  rebuilt the carb it was a walbro, new fuel line in the tank, new manifold elbow,new fuel line coming off the carb, cleaned every nook and cranny on her.  Put 93 octane straight gas and husky synthetic blend in her fire her up, gave her alittle pin adjustment and purrrs like a kitten.  scot really that bad to work on.  Like u said it may be Al

Thank You Sponsors!