iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New hazard in logs

Started by pineywoods, May 17, 2007, 10:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

Put a medium sized pine log on the mill today to make some 2X6 for a neighbor. The bark was loose, so I reached up to pull it off and found a huge colony of fire ants under the bark. Now I'm kinda use to these Dang critters, they live in dirt mounds all over my lawn and garden, but I have never seen them inside a log. Got bit (or stung) several times before I realized what was happening. for you folks fortunate enough to not have them, fire ants are nasty and agressive. their bite itches like the dickens and makes a festering sore..
What to do with the log???? sometimes the brain does work. My mill has a sawdust blower. Turned on the blower, pulled the suction hose loose from the mill and used it like a vacuum cleaner to suck up the little boogers and blow them outside into the sawdust pile.

So now I have to worry about critters as well as nails, insulators, horseshes etc

Who says sawmilling isn't a challenge??
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

WDH

I got fire-ant-bit too, today in the garden (if you can call that rain starved dried up plot of ground a garden).  While sawing, I have never had to worry about critters.  I bet there are some good critter stories out there...
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

metalspinner

My boys love to play with ants.  Here in TN that is not a problem.  We went to visit my mom back in NOLA and they learned real quick not to play with the ants down there. :o
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

379hammerdown

I got tore up by those little buggers too yesterday! I have two pigmy goats that follow me around anywhere I go... literally trip over them sometimes  :D but one of em' must have been hangin out on an  ant hill because one of em leaned up against my leg, as usual, and a10 seconds later my leg was on FIRE! YEEOW!!!  go_away  whiteflag_smiley  smiley_furious3   smiley_bouncing 

Thank You Sponsors!