iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber framing with VMI cadets in Lexington, VA

Started by Jim_Rogers, April 15, 2019, 11:26:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

On April 5th, I traveled to VA to visit with my cousin and the next day, I traveled over to a Timber Framers Guild member's house/farm/sawmill yard to see a very large group of VMI cadets and other volunteers working on joints for a large timber frame structure to be raised at a local elementary school.

Here are some shots of the group:

The tent in the back with the smoke coming out of it was a blacksmith working on some metal decorative pieces for the frame gable end.

Here is a shot of one of the timbers with their labeling system:

There were workers in every area of their place:

In the above picture they were working on "kerfing" the scarf joint to get to as tight as they could.

Above working on one of the carving signs.

Above taping the end of the timber to push the scarf tighter.

My friend and customer Chris from MI brought his adjustable timber wrench:

The host's son had his ice cream making machine out and they made a lot of ice cream for the over 100 people there:

I set up my tools for sale display on the side of the lunch/garage:

I spent a while chatting with they guys laying out the king post:

Here is how it came out:

Erecting the frame:

The completed project:

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

coachmahoney13

Hi Jim,

I am the proud father of a VMI graduate who is a Marine now and a second son who is a Junior and wants to commission in the Coast Guard.

I am new to timber framing and started milling red oak on my property to build a pavilion.  In my travels to school I have studied 2 timber frame structures that are on campus.  Is there a Lexington group that I could connect with that could give recommendations or maybe I could help in a build to get some hands on experience before tackling my project.

Thanks for your help!

Tim

Jim_Rogers

I sent you a pm (private message) with the contact info of the above project's host. He should be able to give you some better advice.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!