iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

winching logs to my ATV log Arch

Started by oscar not the grouch, January 03, 2010, 11:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar not the grouch

Hi there,
I'm in the process of designing and building an ATV log arc to haul out full lenght trees. I had this bright "light bulb of an idea" that I would take a 30 hrs night course in "basic welding" at our local Community College and I would weld my arch together as my course project. Well, the tuition for this night course is close to $400. I think I'll pay a welder to do it.......My question to anyone out there, when you use your manual cable winch to pull logs out of the bush so to be able to hook the tree to your arch, I was wondering if you use anything to keep the end of the tree from jamming behind stumps etc...or do you go and lift up the but end of the tree whenever it gets stuck somewhere?
tks for replies
Oscar

Fla._Deadheader

We snaked some logs out of swamp, using a Pontoon Boat. What made it so much easier was, put a snatch block up on a tree as high as you can reach. When you suck up the cable, it will lift the pull end of the log and actually help pull the log, using it's own weight.

Might need to do it a couple times, depending on how far the tree is from your arch or landing area.

We also developed a Low wheel, cutting an axle short, and welding it back together. Raise the log enough to set the end ON the axle. Clamp it down with a chain and binder, and THAT helps keep the weight off the ground. Just need to "Steer" the thing a bit, maybe ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

stonebroke

Google skidding cone. The company that makes the little portable winch sells them.Kind of pricey though 155$

Stonebroke

stonebroke

caver

Is it really a FF exclusive when it's on youtube?  :D :D

Cool winch though. We use electric capstan type winches for pulling in 750MCM HV cable.

The guys put a strain gage on one pull and was hitting 8000lbs.
Baker HD18

Quebecnewf

I have ono of these gas powered capstan winches and use it in the winter to skid logs. Best money I ever spent. With that and a couple of snatch blocks theres not a log in my region I can't move and load on my sleighs.

Quebecnewf
Here is a photo of the skidding cone I made from a plastic barrel

moonhill

The orange part can be picked up just about any where along the side of the road. ;D

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Quebecnewf

The traffic cone is long gone from the blue part. (too soft). I now put the bottom that I cut out of the barrel on over the rope ahead of the cone and this acts as a deflector. It is just free to run back and forth on the rope and works like a charm. When something is in the way say a log crossways to the ones you are pulling the bottom comes to the log and lies there and then when the cone arrives at the log with the logs in tow the bottom tips on its isde and flips the nose of the cone up over the log and on they come.

Quebecnewf

oscar not the grouch

Tks for the replies, there sure is a lot of ingenuity out there. I kind of like the barrel idea. I have 3 of those sitting behind the barn (hobby farm). I was going to use them as rain barrels underneath the downspouts.......problem is the gutters are not up yet.
Tks again

woodsrunner

Quote from: oscar not the grouch on January 03, 2010, 11:09:02 AM
Well, the tuition for this night course is close to $400. I think I'll pay a welder to do it.......

Please don't take this as an insult or unfair criticism. IMHO it would be $400 well spent. I learned to weld at 18 and have used that skill countless times over the years. I have saved my self untold dollars in repair and fabrication fees. Just my 2 cents.

Scott

moonhill

Put the $ into a welder and play around with it.  A gas mig welder is a operator friendly.  You can nearly self teach yourself. 

What motorized winches are you guys using?  Is a link out of the question?  Can these also be used for overhead lifting? 

Tim

Kevin

moonhill

That is a nice selection of stuff, thanks.

Tim

lainemech

Quote from: woodsrunner on January 04, 2010, 07:25:28 PM
Quote from: oscar not the grouch on January 03, 2010, 11:09:02 AM
Well, the tuition for this night course is close to $400. I think I'll pay a welder to do it.......

Please don't take this as an insult or unfair criticism. IMHO it would be $400 well spent. I learned to weld at 18 and have used that skill countless times over the years. I have saved my self untold dollars in repair and fabrication fees. Just my 2 cents.
Scott

I have to agree. Either take the class and learn a skill that will last you a lifetime, or just buy yourself a used welder, a good book and teach yourself to weld, as I did when I was 16. As someone else suggested, a mig welder is kind of like a "welding for dummies" type of welder and would be easy for anyone to learn to use. Either way, you will be able to save tons of money fabricating and repairing things yourself.  I will be outside today welding up a loading winch setup for my mill.  I have already fab'ed tons of accessories for the mill that would have cost me way more to buy than I can afford.  If you are logging or milling, there will always be lots of repairs and fabrications to be done.  Why not do them yourself and save time and money in the long run?

BTW:  the welder I use is 37 years old. It's the one I learned on and have used since I was 16. It was WELL worth the paper route money I save up to buy it with!

Just one more opinion,

Bob

oscar not the grouch

You're right guys, I'm going to look at this some more cause once i get my ATV log arch in gear and logging out hardwood I will be in need of a wood splitter.....another little welding project.
Tks again

bill m

I don't use a skidding cone but this is what I do if a log gets hung up behind a stump or rock. I've done it many times with my tractor winch or a skidder.

NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

thecfarm

oscar,you will need a good size welder too. I had a small one,110 correct.All that I needed at the time,that was before I moved here and really got into the woods thing.Than I bought one that ran on 220.Much better.Both were mig welders.This will open up another whole thread on mig,stick welder,gas and no gas,may want to start another thread.Seems like it cost me a grand.Can't remember now.Not cheap,but if you spend 400 to have someone else weld for you you have the finished project,but still no welder to use when you want to.Take the course,it's worth it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Valley Mick

Hey oscar, I'm a welder, by trade.  Go take the coarse.  You will learn the theory behind what you are triing to do.  :P  My 2 cents is to get yourself an ac/dc stick welder.  Around 400 bucks Canadian. With this you can weld cast, aluminum, steel, stainless and brass if need be. Yes brass electrodes.  I have been a welder/fabricator for 15 years and with one of them small wire feeders it is real hard to tell if you get propper penetration.  You will have alot more versatility with stick, not to mention welds are alot stronger. Take the time and take the coarse.  And take the time to learn to weld with 7018 rods ( low hydrogen ).  70=70,000 pounds tensile strength , 1 = all positions, 8 = flux composition ( elemental ). Have a good day 8)
Why do you always realize it was a bad idea after sometin's BUSTED !

Thank You Sponsors!