iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lathe Chuck Question

Started by DR Buck, January 01, 2012, 12:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

1st - The disclaimer...... I have never turned an item on a lathe.   I have a Jet Mini with the extended bed and floor stand, some cheap turning tools and a couple of "how to turn" books.   

The lathe has the stock factory spindle, I want to buy a chuck and there are a few online seasonal specials going on for the Barracuda2 Lathe Key Chuck System .    The question I have is this a decent chuck system and is it worth the ~$150 price tag?
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Left Coast Chris

The hang up with the cheaper chucks is that the available jaws may be limited.   If you get into bowl turning very heavy you will want two or three sizes of beveled jaws for griping the bottom of a bowl and a good size set of cole or rubber nubb large jaws for gripping the outside or inside of the top of a bowl to finish the bottom.

Not saying the Baracuda is not acceptable for starting but I went with a OneWay because it has a better jaw assortment available.   The OneWay worked very well.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

shinnlinger

I have at least half a dozen nova chucks in the school shop mostly g2 s. Most Pro Turners do not like but  I got a wicked deal and they have held up well to high school use.  Significant variety of jaws to boot
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

DR Buck

Here's what is included in tha package deal.   The larger flat plates grippers are options.

Type: Key Operated, "C" Style

Compatible Spindle Sizes: 3/4" x 16tpi, 1" x 8tpi

Included Jaws: Pin,#1,#2,#3,Screw Chuck

Pin Jaw Grip: Internal: 1" to 2-1/4"
             #1 Step jaw gripping: External: 3/32" to 1-3/8", Internal: 11/16" to 2-3/8"
             #2 Standard Jaw gripping: External: 1-1/2" to 2-5/8 " , Internal: 2" to 3-3/8"
             #3 Large Round Jaw Gripping: External: 3-1/16" to 4-3/8

Optional - Not Included
                            Large Flat Jaw Gripping:  External: up to 8"
                            Small Flat Gripping: External up to 5"

Lud

I turn a lot with a super nova 2 chuck with 3 sets of jaws.  Changing jaws is a bit of a pain and so you tend to make do with what's on there if you can make it work. 

I kind of like the challenge of turning with a minimal grip on a wood block and stuff goes flying occasionally so you should stay out of the line of fire. 

There's an old school of thought that a turner "should" eliminate evidence of how the piece was held on the lathe to preserve the mystery of the craft or some such nonsense.

So here's a poser........how do you rank what's most important for a great turning?

• great wood
    quality lathe
    well sharpened tools
    quality , flexible chuck
    experience and imagination

I intentionally didn't put in an "all of the above"! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Woodwalker

Any chuck is going to expand your turning capabilities. I say the best you can afford.

In answer to Lud's question, experience and imagination will make up for any deficiencies in material or tools.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Tree Feller

I know of several people who have the Barracuda chuck and say it's a great bargain.

Personally, I like the Oneway chucks and use the Talon with the No. 2 jaws the most. It's a compact chuck and would work well on a mini-lathe, too, although it has plenty of gripping power for bowls up to 12 inches in diameter. The thread insert is changeable for multiple drive spindles, too.

The jaws are not interchangeable between mfg's so you are restricted to using the Barracuda jaws only with the Barracuda chuck. If you were to upgrade someday to a large lathe and need a large chuck, like the Oneway stronghold, they will be incompatible. For that reason, it's wise to pick a system and stay with it.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Radar67

I have heard good things of the Barracuda as well. I forget the name of the chuck I bought, but it was a four jaw from Grizzly and cost $99. I have been happy with it on the Jet Mini (1410).
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

tyb525

I also bought a 4 jaw from Grizzly and I love it. Nothing fancy, but I can make it work for just about any bowl, just got to think a little more ;)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

DR Buck

Well It's done.  I ordered the Baracuda.    Should be here any day.

CHARLIE

Be sure to give us your evaluation after you use it awhile. We're all interested.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

metalspinner

I have the Nova and like it.  I started with the Delta mini lathe, too, but upgraded it after a few years.  The interchangable thread adapters allowed me to use the same chuck for the 1 1/4" thread on the new lathe. The first chuck cost me serious money paying full retail.  Since, I have picked up two other Nova chucks on Craigslist for 1/2 the money and no longer need to change out jaws. ;D

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!