iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cricket Boxes

Started by Magicman, January 02, 2012, 02:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Right now these are woodworking items.  In the Spring they will transform into Bluegill catching accessories.   :)

Mahogany with three sides 1/8" hardware cloth screening.  Come on Spring.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sealark37

Hey Majicman-  Sawmilling and live-bait fishing?  Are you having it your way, or what?  I need to start following your tracks a little closer.  I believe that you have this retirement thing figured out.  Thanks for posting.  REgards, Clark :)

Clam77

Hey MM - how well does Mahogany stand up to being submerged in water?  I've no experience with it..
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Magicman

I don't know what it would do to the boxes, but it would drown my crickets.   ;D

Those boxes have a coat of sanding sealer inside and out which makes them water resistant anyway.  I put in a small container of water with a paper towel in it for the crickets.  It generally gets knocked over and wets the inside bottom.  It just runs off and has never caused a problem.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Clam77

Ahhh my mistake..... SOMEHOW i got out of it that you were gonna put the bluegill in the boxes....    ::)

sheesh... what was i thinking...   :D
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Magicman

:D  I went back and read my OP.  Since I knew that they were cricket boxes, and crickets are deadly for catching bluegills, I guess that my term "bluegill catching accessories" was a bit misleading.  At least I knew.

Anyway, they are Mahogany Cricket Boxes, not fish boxes.   :)

zopi

Fanciest cricket boxes ever.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Buck

Are they available in Folgers?
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

SwampDonkey

I usually get a handful of crickets wintering in the basement. Want some?  :D  I don't know what they eat unless it's wood, but I suppose the little mice eat the crickets. The cycle of life I suppose. ;D

Nice boxes, those crickets are kings before they get eaten by the bluegills. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Riggs

Those are almost too nice to take fishing :D
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Magicman

Buck, sadly coffee cans are a vanishing breed.  The "can" that I just emptied was cardboard or something.   :-\

Riggs

Quote from: Magicman on January 05, 2012, 07:11:27 AM
Buck, sadly coffee cans are a vanishing breed.  The "can" that I just emptied was cardboard or something.   :-\

You are right about that, it's plastic or cardboard these days
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

metalspinner

Nice looking boxes there, MM.

We buy 200 crickets a week year around.  We are trying to stave off the hunger of my sons lizard, but have not been able to yet. ::)  It seems the cricket box is here to stay.  Maybe I should take your lead and build a piece of furniture to house them little buggers in. :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

LeeB

I haven't been perch fishing in years. I have to believe they are the most fun to catch fish pound for pound of anything out there and such good eating too. My uncle used to take us out on Lake Whitney, near Dallas and that's all we would fish for. The cricket boxes brought back good memeories.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

LeeB

You caan still get #10 cans of veggies and such. Not a coffee can but would work the same.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Red Pill

I love catching perch, bluegills, sunfish, whatever you call them on a little ultralight spinning rig. It's really great when they are spawning in the spring. They'll attack a little Beetle Spin 6 feet from their beds, and on that little rig it feels like a monster. Lots of fun.

caveman

Not that the cricket boxes will ever get wet but mahogany was used to build boats back when more boats were built out of wood.  I believe many of the old Chris Crafts were made out of mahogany.  Old wooden water skis were also often made out of mahogany.  Crickets also make great wedding gifts if you can obtain a key to the newlywed's home while they are away on the honeymoon--just turn them loose.  They do not need a fancy box.
Caveman

SwampDonkey

A lot of mahoganey on old boats was ship ballast. That's how we have a lot of 18C-19C mahoganey furniture.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

I do not have any idea how many of those cricket boxes that I have made.  The one shown on the left is a wedding anniversary present.  I made one for our Grandson Adam and presented it to him when he became an Eagle Scout.

sandhills

Magicman, is it the wet paper towel that draws them into the box?  We had crickets real thick around here a few years back and they would eat the twine off the bottom of hay bales that were left out in native grass, when you went to pick the bales up.....well it was just a mess.  Maybe you could try sisal twine for bait, for your bait  :D.

Magicman

No, 'bout the only kind of crickets that will be in these boxes will be the store bought ones.  We do have to put cut potato or a small container with a wet paper towel in it for their long term survival.

Thank You Sponsors!