iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Book case shelf holes

Started by D._Frederick, January 10, 2012, 02:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

I want to build a book case that has moveable shelves with holes and pins to hold the shelves. The holes are 1 1/4 inches apart and I will drill them with my drill press, I don't want to spend $40 for a drill gauge.

Is there an easy way to get  the 1 1/4 inch hole spacing?

Radar67

Make your own gauge with some light weight metal or an extremely hard wood. I have seen metal rulers or yard sticks used with small bore holes, then a punch to mark locations of the holes to be drilled.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Raider Bill

I'm no carpenter or wood worker but I have used card board before. Set your spacing with a sharpie 10 or so rows/holes then just keep moving it up using the bottom 2-3 to line them up.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Texas Ranger

Or, make your own guide  out of scrap plywood.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

sawwood

I have used a pice of pegboard, not sure what the spacing is but worth a
check out.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

CHARLIE

I do the same as Sawwood, I use a piece of pegboard that has 1/4 inch holes.  I've done it this way for years without any problems. Im guessing the spacing is 1 inch.  All that hole spacing isn't critical anyway and you can make 'em 2 inches if you want. Actually, I've found that once I've set the shelves in place, I've never moved them.  :)   
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

isawlogs

Is there a special reason to have them at 1¼" I have also used the peg board approche at spacing shelves, quick, easy and cheap... Cheao being key word  :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

T Welsh

Build a jig from scrap wood laying around the shop. the last time I had to use a spacing jig to drill holes I used my metal flat ruler and drilled holes in it ;D.It now has 3 sets of spacing holes drilled in it and works great. It also hang real well on the wall with all the holes in it 8). Tim

redbeard

If you have a drywall T square you could make it into  a shelf jig
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

D._Frederick

Years ago I made a router jig to cut dovetails using blocks cut to the spacing I needed moving the jig one block at a time then sawing a notch with a RAS. I thing this would work with my drill press with the right fixture. All I need is to come up with the fixture design.
You can plane the board used to make the blocks within a + or - .002 with know problem if you need that kind of accuracy.

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!