iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

manual log lifter,it's finished with maybe pictures

Started by 47sawdust, December 26, 2015, 08:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47sawdust

I'm looking for a way to pick up large rounds to split on my Supersplitter.What I have in mind is a simple jib with a tong on one end,no winches,no hydraulics.I've  watched a you tube video of one made of 2x4's with a plywood base and boat seat swivel.While the idea is appealing the construction seems too light.I'm thinking a large truck wheel base with pipe for the upright and lever.The swivel is not clear to me.
Anybody done this or have suggestions?I do have a tractor with a loader and have fed the splitter that way,but I like simplicity of the jib lifter.
Thanks,Mick

The base is a 22'' truck rim with stabilizers added to keep it from tipping.The swivel is made from a front hub assembly from a jeep.It turns really nice.The upright is 2x2x!/4 with a 1.5x1.5 tube sleeve.The fulcrum is 1x3 with a tension  rod added on top.I can lift a  200lb. round with this without a struggle.Hope my shoulders survive.It brakes down into 3 pieces.The wheel cost me coffe and donuts from Pete's Tire barn,the hub assembly was free and I spent about $150.00 on steel.

Wow,sorry about the duplicate pictures.I've never done this before.I guess more is better,you always say if there's no pictures it didn't happen.
Thanks for a great forum,
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

beenthere

Interesting idea on the simple jib, and hope to see a drawing or pic of it.

I have found what is simple and works for me is to roll the rounds (standing on end) onto a pallet, then set the pallet on top of four rounds holding each corner of the pallet. Puts them at splitter height. Then the forks are free to move the loaded pallets of split wood to the drying yard. Seems very easy on the back, and no single task is too demanding for any length of time. Easy for one person, and quite fast for two.
A supersplitter would maybe make this procedure too slow and need some improvement in bucking, loading, and stacking. But a supersplitter isn't going to happen any time soon.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

gspren

A lot would depend on how large or heavy of a round you want to handle, some may consider a 20" round to be large while others may be thinking 40", big difference in weight.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

47sawdust

gspren,
Good point.At 68 big for me 20''.I'm going picking tomorrow,first my neighbors farm then to the junkyard.I'm hoping to find a wheel with spindle intact to use as a swivel,maybe 36'' in diameter.
The picture thing has me a little stymied,but I'll get there.I've gotten as for as the gallery,but old Mick is a tad slow.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

beenthere

You have four pics in your gallery (uploaded Dec 8 ).
Go to the post where you want to put them, and click the line below that reads "click here to add photo..." , then another window opens. Click the tab in the menu that reads "My Gallery" and your gallery will be open, so just click the pic you want and it will enlarge. Right below that pic will be the instructions how to paste it in your post.
Hope this helps.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Gearbox

What I did was used a piece of 3.5 in pipe for the uprite and cut a ring of 4 in and welded on the 3.5 part way down for a stop . Then slid another 4 in down to the stop . Welded a boom on and mounted a 4 wheeler winch on top . you could use a lever of some sort insted of the winch .
Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

47sawdust

beenthere,
thanks for your help.Like anything else the more I read the instructions the clearer it becomes.
gearbox,
Your method is one that is on the design page.Do you have any binding problems with the pipe in a pipe system?
Mick

Gearbox

No drill and tap for a grease fitting. You wouldn't even need the stop ring if you put a plate on top  but it might turn harder .  I see Harbor freight has there winch on sale for $59 . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

47sawdust

Here it is Beenthere,
Might need your editing help.
thanks
Mick

Gearbox

currantvt

Here's my attempt at a log lifter, a $60 truck crane and some welding. Works fine for the size of wood we have here and ,I think, better than the lift that Timberwolf supply as you can lift logs from all round the splitter, needs a block under the back if heavy stuff. One of the things I enjoy about this forum is the way us old f*rts find ways of making life a bit easier.

Hope the foto works. 

47sawdust

curratvt,Nice job on the log lifter.I thought about mounting a lift directly to the SS axle but it is a little light.Also I was afraid of making a cob job out of it and being embarrassed by the result.
Anything to keep the fun(?) in firewood.
Mick

rjwoelk

I see you are using the bulk bags. We started out firewood business in 2010 and that was the only way I was going to do it. It has worked out just fine.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Thank You Sponsors!