iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS 362CM

Started by woodsdog2015, August 30, 2016, 05:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodsdog2015

Do these saws have a high temp shut off by any chance? I was running my 362 this past weekend and it started up fine, ran for about 25 - 30 minutes fine and then I shut it off to do some clearing away to buck up another log and it wouldn't keep running.  It would fire and run for a few seconds and shut down.  Plenty of fuel etc., it was exceptionally hot out (high 80'to mid 90's) my other saw ran fine.  I use non-ethanol 91 octane gas with the Stihl synthetic oil that I got with this saw.  This saw had a similar problem when I first bought it last year and the dealer replaced the carberator solenoid (If I remember correctly) under warranty and it ran fine but now it seems to be acting similar again.  Anyone familiar with these saws have any thoughts?????  Otherwise this saw has been fine.
I'd rather be in the woods.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

Ada Shaker

They do have a summer winter setting, make sure it's set to summer if getting to hot. Some recommend letting the saw idle a bit b4 shutting down as it allows airflow to cool the engine down somewhat, makes sense I suppose + electronic devices don't like a lot of heat. I'm not awares of these saws having a thermal overload, but I don't think so.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

woodsdog2015

Yea thanks Ada I didn't think they did either but thought I'd put it out there.  I did switch it to the summer setting early on in this cutting season so that can't be it either.  I haven't tried to start it again as its up to the farm so when I get up there again hopefully it will run properly.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

ladylake

I think they have these auto tune saws running to lean in hot weather, both Stihl and Husky.  Our other saws tend to run a little rich in the heat unless we tune them leaner .  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Ada Shaker

It's very difficult to determine whether it's a mechanical issue, or an electrical/electronic issue. Could also be a design issue.
I've had some experience with german made self tuning equipment at work before and in our summers the tuning circuit would play mary hell. We put it down to it not been able to handle our summers very well. Looking at different global regions may require different tuning circuits and not "one circuit covers all regions" attitude. Germany is a pretty cool climate and there summers may not be as hot as other places that are experiencing problems in the heat with these saws.
I would suspect that the electronic modules are getting too hot, in regions that get hot, after running them full throttle for some time and then turning them off all of a sudden. Heat then rises from the motor compounded with ambient temperatures overheating the module too quickly (dv/dt), and the compensating circuits buit into the module can't handle the extreme heat or rapid/sudden change in temperature. Remember that for the self-tuning/compensating circuit to function the saw must be running to produce the required power.
Hence it was mentioned in earlier threads that running these saws at idle for a while after running them wot for some time in hot wheather was beneficial,  which makes sense to me.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

woodsdog2015

Thanks for the input. 
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

Canadiana

I had a similar issue. I believe the heat from the cylinder transfers to fuel lines and vapourises fuel. It takes a few starts or time to get liquid fuel back in the lines. See my topic 'husky 61 hard to start after....' . Hope that helps
The saw is more fun than the purpose of the wood... the forest is trembling 🌳

pwrwagontom

I have this saw and have heard that they have the tendency to act like this when running really hot.  I have not had the problem to the extent of yours, but have noticed some symptoms when really working the saw in heat.

Possibly due to the CM carb feature?
Never give an inch

woodsdog2015

So a quick update on this, I ran my saw Saturday and it ran fine. The temps were approximately 70 degrees it started right up, I bucked up one decent sized log and when I went to start to buck up another the idle sound changed slightly and it started to bog, I let it idle a few more seconds and then I started to get mad but it seemed to sound "right" and stable so I ran it hard on the next log without a hitch.  The saw was responsive at all times. The rest of the day the saw started with one pull, it ran beautifully, no bogging or anything even as the temperatures rose into the low to mid 80's.  I think this saw is approaching its break in period now and perhaps I was treating it a little more gingerly than I should have.  I found this weekend the harder I worked this saw the better it seemed to run and stay running.  I'm certain the temperatures before had something to do with it but most likely not the only thing but I can't really say for 100% certainty.  Thanks for your input on this.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

WoodBurner19

Hey Guys.  I've been running a MS 270 C with a 18" bar for 8 years now. I'm ready for an upgrade. So I went to my dealer on Saturday and inquired about the MS 391 and the MS 362 C-M.  I'm planning on running a 20" bar mainly, but will have a 24" bar on standby. Is this a worthy step up? It's another $150.  I mainly use it for buck'n up firewood. I have a logger drop off about 20 logs at 20' long. Thank you. Joe
MS 270 C   MS 461,  Remodeling Contractor, Married, 2 kids, 2004 Dodge Deisel, 2013 4X4 KingQuad, Stihl saws, 35 ton 4way Splitter.

btulloh

Quote from: WoodBurner19 on October 02, 2016, 08:24:57 PM
Hey Guys.  I've been running a MS 270 C with a 18" bar for 8 years now. I'm ready for an upgrade. So I went to my dealer on Saturday and inquired about the MS 391 and the MS 362 C-M.  I'm planning on running a 20" bar mainly, but will have a 24" bar on standby. Is this a worthy step up? It's another $150.  I mainly use it for buck'n up firewood. I have a logger drop off about 20 logs at 20' long. Thank you. Joe

Yes
HM126

CTYank

Quote from: woodsdog2015 on September 07, 2016, 04:27:30 PM
So a quick update on this, I ran my saw Saturday and it ran fine. The temps were approximately 70 degrees it started right up, I bucked up one decent sized log and when I went to start to buck up another the idle sound changed slightly and it started to bog, I let it idle a few more seconds and then I started to get mad but it seemed to sound "right" and stable so I ran it hard on the next log without a hitch.  The saw was responsive at all times. The rest of the day the saw started with one pull, it ran beautifully, no bogging or anything even as the temperatures rose into the low to mid 80's.  I think this saw is approaching its break in period now and perhaps I was treating it a little more gingerly than I should have.  I found this weekend the harder I worked this saw the better it seemed to run and stay running.  I'm certain the temperatures before had something to do with it but most likely not the only thing but I can't really say for 100% certainty.  Thanks for your input on this.

I'm still thinking it's "vapor lock". One of the reasons I really like purge pumps. Winter-blend fuel are more likely to accentuate this problem IME, with more light-ends than summer-blends of gas.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

woodsdog2015

Woodburner,

I would recommend the 362cm. 
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

WoodBurner19

Quote from: woodsdog2015 on October 04, 2016, 04:27:46 PM
Woodburner,

I would recommend the 362cm.

Thanks Woodsdog! I have high expectations for this saw & can't wait! Maybe in the week or 2.  Have you tried the 24" bar yet? I'm thinking to get it with the 24" bar & chain, then purchase a 20" bar & a few 20" chains.
MS 270 C   MS 461,  Remodeling Contractor, Married, 2 kids, 2004 Dodge Deisel, 2013 4X4 KingQuad, Stihl saws, 35 ton 4way Splitter.

HuckFin

My 362CM was sold to me with a 25" bar new from the dealer but didn't do a whole lot of cutting with it. Decided to break it in with a 20" bar and just use the 25" bar when needed.  The little bit of cutting I did, it worked fine.

woodsdog2015

Woodburner,

No it came with the 20" bar and that's all I've needed so far.  I buck up some pretty big maple too.  I would recommend the yellow stihl chain not the green anti-kickback for even better cutting but this saw has some power so be careful with that chain type if you're new at it.  Wear chaps, forester helmet steel toe boots or better yet chainsaw boots.   
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

WoodBurner19

Woodsdog,

I think I'm switching to the 461CM. I just feel the need for more power :D.  I will certainly ask for the yellow chain.
I'm also thinking of just running a 20" b/c mainly. But I will also get the 25" b/c for the bigger logs to buck up. My current saw is the 270C w a 18" b/c. Might drop that one down to a 16". So then I'll have more options, 16"-20" and 25".  Does it sound like I'm on the right path? :).  Thanks for your input! I appreciate it.  I do wear chaps, glasses, ear plugs & ear protection.

woodsdog2015

Woodburner,

Sorry I didn't respond sooner but got real busy cutting firewood and other stuff.  I don't know about the 461 but it seems like a highly rated piece of equipment.  This would certainly give you a lot of power. 
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

Texas-Jim

if saw is under warranty let your dealer plug it up. The m-tronic can easy deal with the heat. The chip itself though possible its unlikely the heat is causing the problem. I would think its just a carb issue, m-tronic or not carbs get finicky. Lot of dealers will plug it up for free even if its past warranty.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

woodsdog2015

Yeah thanks Texas-Jim.  I haven't had the saw out for awhile now due to deer season, Christmas, etc.  My wood supply is starting to get a little lower than I like now so I'll probably start getting out there again soon.  I'll keep you updated on this.  Like I said before it didn't seem to be acting that way anymore so hopefully it was just a carb glitch or something.  I don't know.  I'm very finicky with my gas, I use only non-ethanol 91 octane and mix the Stihl synthetic oil in it. What do you mean by "let the dealer plug the carb up?"
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

Thank You Sponsors!