iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

night skidding

Started by c_silva88, November 28, 2012, 11:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c_silva88

so the past couple days between fixing my truck and dealing with my daughters broken elbow i haven't gotten a chance to pull any fire wood. so tonight on my test drive to make sure my truck was running right i swung by the wood lot. well with the recent snow and the full moon i could see pretty good. so i said screw it and fired up the treefarmer and skidded from 6 to 10 no lights first hitch was kinda slow but once i got my night eyes i was pulling all five keys with 2 trees on each i got enough wood to keep me busy for a day ore two . the only reason i stopped was cause i ran out of  gas on my last hitch but it felt good to be back on the machine and accomplishing something.
MS660
MS290

Okrafarmer

I understand. The snow does make it a lot easier to see in the dark, especially if the moon is out. Just be careful out there, accidents are easier to happen in reduced light conditions, and also when we are tired, fatigued, worn out from difficult life events.

I like working at night, but I'd be real cautious about chainsawing in the dark.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

c_silva88

i didn't cut tonight, over the weekend i had went in and dragged all the trees i had into a pile half way to my new landing cause im  finishing up this cut and the land owner lets me store the wood on his land but where my wood was was in the way of the construction company so i have to move my pile out of their way. i was carefull though luckily a flat skid on a gravel road with little to no snow
MS660
MS290

cutter88

i like getting out 1st thing in the moren and pullen my first 2 hitchs in the dark but i dont fall timber in the dark i try and fall and top a couple hitchs ahead before i caller quits for the day :)

be safe and put some lights on that skidder  ;D
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

Ed_K

If I tried that the police would be there before I had the first hitch hooked up  >:( ;D .Glad you got some wood moved  8) .
Ed K

bill m

With the days real short this time of year quite often I will just chop most of the day and go into the night hauling logs out.
Front lights are led

Rear

And sides

The boom on my loader also has lights.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

clww

I'll bet with the much shorter days up north, much logging is done with lights on the equipment. Be careful.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

chevytaHOE5674

UP here this time of year it doesn't get light until after 8am and its dark by 5pm so you have to work in the dark. A good set of lights is a must and away you go.

Couple years back on a sale I had going they had a second shift guy running the forwarder at night from 5pm until sometime in the weee hours of the morning to try and keep up with the two processors they were running. 

thenorthman

with fire danger, sometimes in the summer we are forced to cut early in the morning before light, the forest service shuts the woods down at 1 pm or some times as bad as 11 am when it starts to get real dry out

Its called Hoot Owling... cause taint nothing else awake except hoot owls

With the really short days like that it can be hard to put enough wood on the ground in daylight if your hand falling...
well that didn't work

Holmes

Looks like bill m has conquered night time. ;D    That is a really nice set up.
Think like a farmer.

thecfarm

bill always has things set up nice. i need lights at night to. Not for the woods,but for hauling rocks and dirt. Need some up high so when I pick the bucket up more than a foot I don't block the headlights. Need some up high pointing down at the sides of the front tires too. And at least one in the back.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

1270d

I've ran second shift in the harvester for a few months.  From 4 pm to 2 am.  It was actually a nice shift.  Wake up at 9 am and most of the day to run around.  I had a really nice streamlight headlamp for repair work and the tech guys at john deere would answer calls till ten or later. 

It was nice also spending more time with the family. Id do it again if need be.  Kinda peaceful in your little light bubble out in the woods.  Although that was a downfall, being alone if trouble popped up.

Ken

This time of year it gets dark shortly after 5 and doesn't get very light until nearly 8 in the morning so we need lights on the equipment.  It would be nice to work only daylight hours but that isn't going to happen anytime soon.  Starting next week we are going to work some evening hours as well to take advantage of the prime early  winter conditions.  A little bit of snow will really intensify the light effect.  I do however hate trying to fix problems after dark.

I would never try falling trees by hand in the dark.  Far too many dangers.  We have however skidded wood with the cable skidder after dark when the need arose although it was rare. 

Nice looking tractor billm
Lots of toys for working in the bush

snowstorm

i dont run the harvester a night very often but the fowarder is kinda cool lots of lights. did get quite a surprise one night when i ran over a coyote. he was already dead

240b

skidding with the grapple skidder wasn't bad after dark. I'd be pretty hard pressed to pull wood w/ a cable machine in the dark even with an enclosed cab.  Just working around the landing at night with trucks isn't fun.
I always wear my reflective vest even if the truckers think it looks goofy. 

GraderDan

To Bill M, would like to add a cage to my Kubota sometime, like the way you did your's. Was wondering if I could see more pictures of it and wanted to know how you mounted it to the ROP, bolt, weld, clamp, etc. Thanks, Dan

lumberjack48

I tried skidding at night back in 1969 with my C4 TF cable skidder, in a Tamarack swamp. I had no idea that i ducked brush that much in the daylight. I skidded about two hrs, i had Elder bark in on eye, i felt like i'd been in a bar room fight.

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

SwampDonkey

At home in the shop or some other hobby, night time doesn't stop me. But when it comes to the woods, I'm gone when it's dark. Sure I drive in the dark in the mornings at times, but I'm not sawing without sunlight. Nope! ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Okrafarmer

I tried to ax-fell a small birch tree in the dark once as a kid-- missed the tree and hit my foot. No lasting damage thankfully, but could have been much worse. I might have done the same thing by daylight too, but chances are it was a combination of not being able to see well, and teenage clumsiness.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!