iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Time rolls on.

Started by Jeff, August 17, 2019, 10:00:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Well today is the day. You would think I would have a sense of dread to go to a  quasi-public screening for advanced aging, general health and potential signs of dimentia, but hey, instead of just being screened, I think I'll do the observing.  Im wondering if as a focus group we will need to sign a HIPAA agreement. I already feel there may be issues simply due to the scheduled location.
Tonight as a Graduate of Coleman High school I'll be attending my 40th  class reunion.

It's in Sanford. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WV Sawmiller

Enjoy. Let us know how many liars come up and say "You haven't changed a bit." :D

We went to my wife's 45th the summer before last. I have not been to one since our 10th. we are 2 years away from our 50th and I may try to go to that one.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sawguy21

I went to our 50th three years ago, I sure didn't recognize everybody. It was a good time overall but high school politics reared their ugly head with some. It was bittersweet, one class member who managed to attend died three weeks later of cancer.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on August 17, 2019, 10:28:14 AM
   Enjoy. Let us know how many liars come up and say "You haven't changed a bit." :D

thecfarm

I did mine 35th. I hadn't changed,but the ones I graduated did.   :D
Some I did not even recognize.  
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hacknchop

I went to high school in two different places but never gradualated from either place so nobody would remember me except of course the guys on the football team and there was a couple of times I could have used a proper edumacation.
 Now I made sure that my Kids gradualated.
Often wrong never indoubt

Ron Scott

Attended my 65th in the U.P. last August.
~Ron

Pine Ridge

I'll be 51 years old in about a month, time does fly, how in the world did i get to be this old ?????  I didn't graduate, sure wish i could have a "do over " . About 25 kids on average in our class of 1986 through the years, still think of most of them like family. Jeff i hope you have a good time !
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

Jeff

I really have no idea why I am going. Some weird curiosity I guess. None of the attendees are people I was friends with. My buddies for the most part quit school to farm or for other less than promising reasons.\

The last one I remember being invited to would have been our 15th reunion. It was 1994.  I was working 10 hours a day 6 days a week, and Tammy was working weeknights and weekends. I came home one evening and tracked some sawdust into our carpet. I got the vacuum out and cleaned it up. I then went to open the mail I had tossed aside when I saw I had made a mess. I was tired and ornery all ready when I saw the envelope from a "John Lewis".   I opened this envelope and out spilled a huge amount of that plastic party glitter. In 94 i remember it was finer and smaller than I have noticed it is today.  It went everywhere on the carpet that was just cleaned by a tired ornery sawmill worker. Instantly I wanted to know who this John Lewis was cause I was ticked.  John Lewis was our class president. He became and still is an Attorney in Mt. Pleasant Mi. It was an invitation to the 15th class reunion.  I had a bit of a temper and drinking issue back then and decided that the last thing I should do it go to that reunion because John Lewis was going to be there and I was not one bit happy with him and could not trust myself to tell his face with my fist what I thought about his party glitter. I'm quite a bit more mellow now. :)

So, in a couple hours off to Sanford Michigan I go home of the Sanford Mustangs, one of our conference rivals, to a reunion of the the Coleman Comets, class of 1979.

John Lewis will be there...

Tom the Sawyer

Although I have skipped the previous reunions, I just sent in my reservations for our 50th high school reunion.  Class of about 620, the reunion site has room for 200 (alumni and significant others), maybe there aren't that many still around (or interested).  I recognize a few names in the notices but I can't think of anyone from my class that I have had contact with in more than 25 years, maybe 40.  For me, high school doesn't have many good memories.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

WV Sawmiller

Tom,

I think there is one member I have written contact with several times a year and I go see every 2-3 years when I go back to my old home area. 2 of my SIL brothers and their wives were classmates but I don't keep in direct contact with them. I ran into one lady last summer who was a classmate. She introduced her new to me husband and we hit it off great. We invited them up here and I still have hopes they will come up one of these days.

I think our class was my schools biggest graduating class. we started with 84 and I think 79 graduated. Some private schools sprung up in our area after integration that decreased the public school enrollment then our school merged with another one of our former rivals and they are probably bigger than we were

I remember we went to my wife's 10 year reunion and a man walked in and everybody got completely silent. My wife went over and asked him "Aren't you ____?" and he said he was then she said "We all heard you had died." They certainly weren't expecting him to be there!
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

olcowhand

Sorry, but I'm with Steely Dan on this topic: "I'm never going back to my old school". I've run into and still hang out with some of my old classmates, but that's as far as it goes. I wish everyone well, but I have no desire to spend an evening with a bunch of folks that I hardly knew then- and know even less of now.
Have fun Jeff. 
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Jeff

@olcowhand I'm right there wiffya, but now I know if i go there is a chance Richard Slocum might showup! I heard many years ago that he was killed in a bar fight just a few years after graduation.

Southside

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on August 17, 2019, 02:42:20 PM"We all heard you had died.

Sounds like you may have had a 6th sense moment there.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

The best tail I heard from a class reunion was a guy we'll call Carl was there and everybody was bragging about how successful and their experiences and travels and celebrity friends and such. Finally somebody noticed Carl who was standing there quietly taking it all in and one of them smugly asked him what he had done with his life. Carl told them he had a real important job working for the different car makers in Detroit. He said it paid real well and he only worked 1-2 days a year. The rest of the class remembered Carl was at the very bottom of the class academically and barely graduated. They were amazed and asked him if he was some kind of high tech engineer or consultant or what he did to earn so much money for 1-2 days work. He told them "Nope, I really don't care to talk about it much but I'm not an engineer or consultant." By now the whole class was excited and they pleaded with him to let them know what he did. Finally Carl relented and said "Okay, I'm a crash dummy."
Howard Green

Roxie

I'm with olcowhand, but y'all have fun. 
Say when

John Mc

The thing I've noticed about my high school and college reunions was that the people I end up hanging around with and having the best conversations with are often the ones I didn't hang around with when I was a student.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

gspren

I've only gone to one reunion I believe 10th, class of "69" so 50 years now and probably not going to this one on labor day weekend. I do attend quite a few of my Navy ships reunions with the guys I went to Viet Nam with. We have a reunion every year jumping all over the country usually mid-Sept, this year in Green Bay, WI. 
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

GRANITEstateMP

My buddy recently told me that our 20th reunion was this Sept.  I don't do social media, so I guess that I'm outta the loop!  I see a lot of the folks I hung out with in school, not as much as we used to, but life sneaks up on ya.  Pretty sure me and the wife will go, even if it's just a night out and we only visit with our friends, nights out don't come along too often for us anymore!

Hope ya have a good night Jeff
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Mooseherder

We attended my wife's 40th 2 weeks ago and my 40th last year.  Had a great time seeing folks both times.

barbender

I've always enjoyed our class reunions. We had a small class and everyone got along pretty well, so that helps.
Too many irons in the fire

Chuck White

It's kind of funny, but most of my class back then wouldn't give me and several of my friends the time of day, because we weren't "townies", we were all dairy farmers and were looked down on!  
It seems that now I'll run into one of the townies and they always seem to want to visit and most times lately, once they find out that I've retired TWICE, they really start to take an interest and that's usually the time I have to get going. ;)

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bruno of NH

It was my 35th this last June
I didn't go , I save my walking for working.
Some reached out to me when I was doing the radio show.
I like living out of my home town in the woods with my dog and Sheila.
Not many liked me then because I drank to much.
Haven't drank in many years.
Lost the taste for it.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Sixacresand

I think I am close the bottom row of the photo. Seems like we have reunions monthly these days at visitations and funerals.  i used to not go to funerals, but I realized if you don't go to theirs, they won't come to yours (Yogi Berra)
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Ed_K

Quote from: olcowhand on August 17, 2019, 02:52:44 PM
 "I'm never going back to my old school". 
Both the elementary an tech schools have been torn down  ;D . Never even got an invite till the 40th. Didn't go  :D. Had one friend during high school he got drafted to nam  :(.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!